Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA281 - LHR-LAX - delayed as not enough meals loaded.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

As per title. How do they manage to get this wrong?
SxMan, htaler and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Things go wrong sometimes - human error or otherwise. Unless it's a systemic issue, it's part and parcel of life.
argonath and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
A shame they noticed. Using 15k Avios for no pretzels as a yardstick, you'd surely be looking at at least 60k compensation here.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Update- the caterers came back, with only 50% of what is required. So further delay awaiting the next delivery.
BearX220, haroon145 and ttama like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:32 am

The irony is here, my JFK to LHR flight last Thursday had too many meals. So many, crew offered me two main courses (as I couldn't decide between the pasta and beef) and said they had a lot spare. You're right, how can they overload one flight and not have enough for another?
BearX220, ttama and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:42 am

Do&Co has been having lots of problems, exacerbated by the return to full catering. The issue is, as with most employers dealing with the fallout of the B-word, staff or lack thereof.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Had this twice on flights to JNB, BA57, both A380's. First one was not enough evening meals for economy, second one no breakfast for the entire flight, both delays about 1-hour. CS said it was an on going problem with Do & Co, not having sufficient staff
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:28 am

Hypothetically (and I don’t know if it happened here, but it easily could) let’s imagine an AA flight is cancelled and 50 customers are moved last-minute onto the BA one. Let’s also imagine that BA deliberately hadn’t ordered that many meals as they didn’t want to waste them. So a last minute request goes out, which means the caterer has to find 50 meals at short notice.

It’s not always ‘getting it wrong’, it can equally be unforeseen events getting in the way. Half full/empty and all that.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Personally I would trade a tray of reheated gloop (yes, even in CW) for an on-time departure. I always travel with sufficient snacks to see me through 10 hours if needed, as invariably what is served on board is barely edible. Not a BA criticism, but airline food in general. Same goes for booze - at 35,000 feet you cant taste it properly anyway.

But I suspect I am in a small minority(!)
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
OP has failed to provide key information: which cabin are they travelling in and which cabin has the catering issues?

Travelling in F and catering problems in Y?: Shrug, call for another glass of LPGS and suggest an on-time departure.

Travelling in F and no amuse bouche loaded?: Demand to see the IFM and Captain, insist they wait for full catering, call for another glass of LPGS.

😁😁
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:42 am

Update- the caterers came back, with only 50% of what is required. So further delay awaiting the next delivery.
The first bit maybe human error and such is life but the second bit is inexcusable. Coming back with only 50% of the missing meals. Thats just incompetence.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84
OP has failed to provide key information: which cabin are they travelling in and which cabin has the catering issues?

Travelling in F and catering problems in Y?: Shrug, call for another glass of LPGS and suggest an on-time departure.

Travelling in F and no amuse bouche loaded?: Demand to see the IFM and Captain, insist they wait for full catering, call for another glass of LPGS.

😁😁
fair point. However, the captain didn’t go into travel classes and menu’s. 🙄
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Personally I would trade a tray of reheated gloop (yes, even in CW) for an on-time departure. I always travel with sufficient snacks to see me through 10 hours if needed, as invariably what is served on board is barely edible. Not a BA criticism, but airline food in general. Same goes for booze - at 35,000 feet you cant taste it properly anyway.
Champagne goes to my head when flying, but a G&T (for me at least) appears to taste the same as it does on the ground and doesn't quite a affect me in the same way - I guess it's the bubbles in the champagne and altitude.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle

But I suspect I am in a small minority(!)
I'm with you, and often decline to eat onboard, but I was shouted down the last time I dared mention that point of view on this forum!

I think there have been flights where a decision was made to depart on-time instead of wait for catering to be loaded, but that was when they knew in advance catering would be delayed or unavailable and people were notified at check-in and given vouchers to buy food in the terminal.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Things go wrong sometimes - human error or otherwise. Unless it's a systemic issue, it's part and parcel of life.
It also shows that shrugging one's shoulders and accepting this is becoming endemic here. The NHS is failing, the unions are on strike and it all feels very managed decline and 1970s once more. Perhaps we're heading for another "Thatcher" type reset, or a Lord King will come along and give the business a well needed shake up. But a lot of this is poor management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.