Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
After calling the GGL line recently I got a survey to fill in. This was one of the questions and it exactly shows what PGberkshire calls out

The real top is the top 1% of the 1% of the 1%

Where GGL really sits
So which would those who are GGL and GFL choose? And are they more important than just GFL or GGL? And what about the fake Lords, where do they sit?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
After calling the GGL line recently I got a survey to fill in. This was one of the questions and it exactly shows what PGberkshire calls out

The real top is the top 1% of the 1% of the 1%

Where GGL really sits
No it doesn’t. In your list (from BA) GGL is below GFL. Which makes some sense because one can achieve GGL without being GFL.

Doc Copper
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
No it doesn’t. In your list (from BA) GGL is below GFL. Which makes some sense because one can achieve GGL without being GFL.

Doc Copper
One can also be GFL without being ir ever having been GGL.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Hmm, but Premier may well be temporary too? Like, eh, our Premiers ..... Johnson, May, Truss and probably Sunak?! So it should be further down the list than GfL / GGLfL?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc
One can also be GFL without being ir ever having been GGL.
I agree. It was the order difference I was primarily commenting on.

Doc Copper
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I find it funny when people flex being Gold, in reality its a a mid tier status. Lots of people higher up do not get upgrades.

Think:
Premier
GGLfL
GGL (HVC)
GGL
GFL
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Blue
Gold, mid tier?

How dare you.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
So which would those who are GGL and GFL choose? And are they more important than just GFL or GGL? And what about the fake Lords, where do they sit?
Being fortunate or unfortunate to be GFL and GGLs x 2, depending on if one likes BA, (me and my partner always travel together), we should have our own level 😀😱, below the almighty Premiers.

Typical BA 😉
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
BINGO

As a Lord (being Viscount became tiring & Rabbi was complicated on Saturdays), GGL, and GFL, I'd say GGL is definitely valued higher by BA (only GGL can hit a CIV of above 97, whereas GfL gets you a high 80s score).

I'm one of the Animal Farm GGLs, and quite happy being so!

M
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Was behind a DYKWIA (GGL, let’s assume CIV 97 got to their head for the purpose of our entertainment) arriving at JFK T8 off a BA flight that afternoon. He broke through several tensa barriers, leaving a trail of destruction behind him without a care in the world. This was despite having precisely 3 people being ahead of him in total, in an otherwise deserted immigration hall.

Eventually the person ahead of me and behind DYKWIA caught up with him and asked him to follow the queue route the long way round. Shortly after the staff shouted at him.

I hope that he was suitably embarrassed. His excuse to the person that asked him to go the right way round the queue was that he needed to pick up his kid from school or something to that effect.

Just abysmal.

Last edited by Foofighter69; Jan 15, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
This was definitely a DKYWIA trip.

So I’m on my way back a couple of days ago to LHR. I’m in 2E back from JFK, with a woman in 1A who decided to plant herself in the aisle next to me while I am stood in the aisle trying to get my coat on, intent to get off the plane before anyone else in her aisle in F. She is stood firmly in between me, my small trolley in the aisle and the back of seat 2A. It’s a tight spot to decide to wedge yourself into in order to save 2 seconds.

I let her off before me, because I couldn’t care less who gets off first.

I see her at eGates later in lane 3, I’m in lane 1. She tried to race ahead of me only to then stand at the baggage screens to seek out the right carousel. It had been about 10 minutes from getting off the plane to eGates, so I cannot imagine all that rush and huff and puff was worth it.

Anyway I was on the HEX about 8 minutes later as I flew with hand luggage.
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I felt really bad last Friday re queue jumping. A late evening arrival into LTN.

I could tell that the lady next to me on the plane was in a hurry so of course i asked her to go ahead of me (not that it makes a lot of difference but shows that I am doing my bit).

Then to a set of stairs before passport control. I had a wheely bag and a painful knee so I took the lift. At the top, I realised that there was a queue that I had inadvertently jumped a little by taking the lift. Once we got to the last tensabarrier snaking hell before passports, I kept making eye contact with the same lady who was now a full tensabarrier row behind me. She did smile at me but I felt awful and obvs it kept happening until the passport machines...

Oh and as W6 doesn't have statuses ( I don't think), then I wasn't being a DYKWIA (well I hope not anyway)
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I felt really bad last Friday re queue jumping. A late evening arrival into LTN.
You are, and I mean this sincerely, a much better person than I.

You didn't intentionally queue jump; if the lift had stuttered its way to the top, and you'd been overtaken, you'd have thought nothing of it. You (like everyone else, but especially with your mobility issues) had every right to be in the lift. You got lucky, I guess, but you no more queue jumped than you would if you decided to take the train to Heathrow and there was an accident on the M4.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Given the collective noun for a group of GGLs is 'an importance', I think that answers your question.

Not sure what the collective noun for a group of GfLs would be. Perhaps 'a Stockholm'.
BA or bust, JAXBA, YacozA and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Given the collective noun for a group of GGLs is 'an importance', I think that answers your question..
I thought it was a Chelsea.... *ducks*
JTXC likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Live reporting of a DYKWIA

Currently on the airbridge waiting to board the 1403 to LHR

Just behind 2 Golds,

Pax 1: I’ve never been op’uped
Pax2: in a loud and obnoxious tone for all to hear - proceeds to list all the times he’s been upgraded including the best EVER! J to F.

sadly the walls on the jet bridge are not hard enough for me to bang my head against

as they board - they end up in ET…..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.