Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Putting aside his tweets and behaviour, is he not correct about the meal service? Service standard in CE is A to F, regardless of status or CIV score. Since BA started only loading two salads on each flight, I've switched some of my bookings from 1F to 1A in order to avoid "prior customer selection".
Well, I've been in 1A before and they've started at 1F and vice versa. Other threads in the forums have had comments about the crew making sure people sitting in random seats had their orders placed first.
I've seen (paper) boarding passes in various cabins where there is zero mention of Gold, silver, bronze etc. on them, yet they've been dealt with first by the crew for orders etc.

I personally doubt there can be too may GGLs or whatever at any given time sitting in say WT+, or even WT at the end of the day, yet zero preferential treatment is offered there even though I could have status well above all the blues etc.
Perhaps the gentleman in question has received "preferential" treatment before, perhaps more than once, and therefore expects it.
We know from other threads that a lot people don't believe that anyone else could possibly have the same status level as them, or there's no way 100 people are in group 1.

As for a salad, I certainly would not be disappointed not to get one (only time I've ever missed out was when I wanted a cheese plate on 2 AA flights and they'd all gone).
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Well no, he’s not correct. He thinks he should get served first because he is a highflying gold card holder.
I didn't read his tweet that way, I thought he was saying he should be served first as he's in A/C (though hard to tell, for the reasons you outline).
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by xenole
Well, I've been in 1A before and they've started at 1F and vice versa.
This surprises me; one of the few consistent aspects of Club Europe service for me is that it is always A to F and that status and CIV score have nothing to do with it. But I'm sure CIHY can advise
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think even if the service standard is normally A to F (don't ask me if it is, I don't know), it's still totally DYKWIA to tweet complaining about it, even without the mention of status like this. A simple note to customer service after the fact would be a much better way to handle.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This surprises me; one of the few consistent aspects of Club Europe service for me is that it is always A to F and that status and CIV score have nothing to do with it. But I'm sure CIHY can advise
Sorry to disappoint you, but from personal experience the service sometimes goes from F to A.

Doc Copper
Scots_Al, TheBigRat, T8191 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
I think even if the service standard is normally A to F (don't ask me if it is, I don't know), it's still totally DYKWIA to tweet complaining about it, even without the mention of status like this. A simple note to customer service after the fact would be a much better way to handle.
Does CS actually bother reading these things that much though? Perhaps some Avios would be thrown his way, a copy & paste response (that may well completely ignore the gripe) etc.
Twitter seems to be responded to far more by BA (and other airlines). It's public, so anything negative will be out there rather than solely being in some random office with a (digital) waste paper basket.
Maybe not the best way of doing things, but drunken texts / messages / tweets etc. are common......sure we all don't think before we act especially if seeing the red mist and our judgement is obscured?
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Sorry to disappoint you, but from personal experience the service sometimes goes from F to A.

Doc Copper
More than sometimes IME.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Well, I've been in 1A before and they've started at 1F and vice versa. Other threads in the forums have had comments about the crew making sure people sitting in random seats had their orders placed first.
I've seen (paper) boarding passes in various cabins where there is zero mention of Gold, silver, bronze etc. on them, yet they've been dealt with first by the crew for orders etc.

I personally doubt there can be too may GGLs or whatever at any given time sitting in say WT+, or even WT at the end of the day, yet zero preferential treatment is offered there even though I could have status well above all the blues etc.
Perhaps the gentleman in question has received "preferential" treatment before, perhaps more than once, and therefore expects it.
We know from other threads that a lot people don't believe that anyone else could possibly have the same status level as them, or there's no way 100 people are in group 1.

As for a salad, I certainly would not be disappointed not to get one (only time I've ever missed out was when I wanted a cheese plate on 2 AA flights and they'd all gone).
A well know (on this forum) GGL was in 1F.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

Doc Copper
What exotic films have you been watching...
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by ratechaser
What exotic films have you been watching...
Santa Versus The Martians
orbitmic and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is sometimes for special meals.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
as a 1D card holder, i cannot recall ever having service start anything other than a-c first even as a lowly non-prem ggl.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold

Doc Copper
Indeed, quite often actually, it mostly appears as to what is convenient for the crew at the time. I really cannot be bothered if sitting in A and they serve F first. I have quite frequently also had the whole of row 2 served before row 1 as the inflight manager is still rummaging around in the pantry while the other staff member serves row 2.
Scots_Al, Cymro, Ramos and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I fly Domestics a few times a month and will sit in 1A where I can. The service standard as to A or F first is split 50:50. Sometimes, I think my having headphones on makes the crew go to F first. But if there is a a service standard of A to F, then I would say it is applied as often as checking carry-on dimensions at the gate.

On one occasion, travelling to ABZ, a late cancellation meant Mrs Harry and myself were back in row 5 (out of 5). Before service started, the IFL came to us to check what we wanted and said they would make sure they saved these for us. Service was front to back so we were served last, but did get our first choice.

Like everything everywhere, a pleasant greeting with a warm smile seems to lead to a positive service experience.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Def the opposite experience for me - I always prefer 1F if available, my second choice being 1A. Either way, quite random service in my experience, A to F and F to A.
becks1 and PGberkshire like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.