Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK Border Force Christmas strike - confirmed dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Border Force Christmas strike - confirmed dates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Strike action/lack of staff is usually not a reason to decline EC261. Would cancellations as a result of these strikes, which are out of HAL and airlines' control, be eligible?
I seriously doubt strike by border force staff will be covered under EC261, especially given such a short notice. Theoretically this shouldn’t affect the airlines schedule, just the passengers. There is really nothing the airline can do. Anyway, others may have a better idea.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Strike action/lack of staff is usually not a reason to decline EC261. Would cancellations as a result of these strikes, which are out of HAL and airlines' control, be eligible?
Strikes outside the airlines' control is a valid reason to decline EC261 compensation (though not Right to Care). A lot depends on the details here, since for example if HAL ask airlines to cut services but doesn't say which ones, then if it's an airline choice as to which service to chop then that pushes it back in scope, at least potentially, for EC261 compensation.

As it happens, apparently the Border Force has written to HAL and asked for volumes not to exceed 80% of 2019 passenger levels, which is roughly where HAL and BA are anyway. These advance notices are based on some assumptions so there may still be some delays in the mornings.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Positioning from LHR to CDG on the 23rd for a flight out of there on the 24th (BA315 which is a 1510 departure). Wondering how likely this would be affected by delays on the previous flights of that day... rebook on an earlier departure or risk it...! (Would have taken the Eurostar but they have strikes that day as well!).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Strikes outside the airlines' control is a valid reason to decline EC261 compensation (though not Right to Care). A lot depends on the details here, since for example if HAL ask airlines to cut services but doesn't say which ones, then if it's an airline choice as to which service to chop then that pushes it back in scope, at least potentially, for EC261 compensation.
I would argue that HAL/airlines were provided reasonable notice of the strike and if cancellations were needed it should have been done more than 14 days out, last of which is today
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:26 am

I wonder if BA will offer a waiver for travel on the impacted dates. I am due to fly MAN-LHR-BOS on Dec 28th and I'd love to move this a day earlier to reduce the chance of any travel headaches!
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They might do along the lines of the similar policies they offered earlier this year in relation to HAL passenger caps - i.e. you can move flights even if flights are not cancelled. Hopefully we will find out soon.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
And while you all ponder your flights my wife is still struggling to get a visa. It doesn’t help that the current processing times seem to be around the application window (i.e. you need to apply the earliest you possibly can to have a chance of getting a visa for when you wanted to travel…)

We had a planned trip to arrive in that period to BHX, affected, that got pulled due to a visa not being gaurenteed to be ready within the planned travel dates.

So perhaps with that in mind at least immigration may be easier workloads (i.e. not visa nationals because visas are just not being processed in a timely manner).
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
And while you all ponder your flights my wife is still struggling to get a visa. It doesn’t help that the current processing times seem to be around the application window (i.e. you need to apply the earliest you possibly can to have a chance of getting a visa for when you wanted to travel…)

We had a planned trip to arrive in that period to BHX, affected, that got pulled due to a visa not being gaurenteed to be ready within the planned travel dates.

So perhaps with that in mind at least immigration may be easier workloads (i.e. not visa nationals because visas are just not being processed in a timely manner).
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just the "front line" border force" going on strike. Not the whole home office. Shouldn't (significantly) affect visa processing times
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Berrisfo
I wonder if BA will offer a waiver for travel on the impacted dates. I am due to fly MAN-LHR-BOS on Dec 28th and I'd love to move this a day earlier to reduce the chance of any travel headaches!
I've got a MAN-FAO-MAN on U2 coming up. I'm actually not going, and had written off the £500, but now there maybe some hope of getting a refund (or at least a voucher!).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've got a MAN-FAO-MAN on U2 coming up. I'm actually not going, and had written off the £500, but now there maybe some hope of getting a refund (or at least a voucher!).
I think EZY flights are generally changeable - even to a different route - for a fee (which goes up at t-45 days I believe) and fare difference, so either way you might be able to salvage something
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:53 am

Am I screwed?

I'm flying into LHR from DFW on Dec 21st so I will be OK getting into the UK. I fly out of LHR on Dec 29th so the question is....on the way out, what role does Border Force play in managing passengers out of the country? Am I screwed?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT

For departing the UK I think it is a very passive role - i.e. airlines collect data and send it to UKBF who can see that you are leaving. So hopefully very little impact. However there could be knock on issues, so late departures as arrivals can't offload passengers due to queuing etc.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I think EZY flights are generally changeable - even to a different route - for a fee (which goes up at t-45 days I believe) and fare difference, so either way you might be able to salvage something
Yeah - the problem is, there's nothing that I want to change it to at the moment. The advantage of a voucher is that I can choose at my leisure.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:20 am

No doubt cancellations are being worked through now as a contingency measure and I’m sure airlines will announce affected services asap. Those travelling during the strike period just need to be very prepared and to stay as calm as they can - from being held on aircraft if passport zones and flight connection control zones exceed safe capacity limits to queues in the immigration hall and egates.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I fully support workers right to strike but it is very poor form to do it over the Christmas period when people are travelling to see families etc. Shame on them.
GentleGiant, Silver Fox and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.