Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When is the best time to sleep and eat on Australian flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Hi
My 3rd business flight, so it's still a novelty, is taking us to Australia.
MAN 1710 LHR 1810
LHR 2135 CHA 1845 (13 hours 10m)
CHA 2010 SYD 0655 (7 hours 45m)

SYD 1630 CHA 2130 (8 hours 20m)
CHA 2315 LHR 0525 (14 hours 20)
LHR 0800 MAN 0900

I'm just trying to puzzle out which meals I should perhaps eat in the lounge or on the plane and also when I should be sleeping.
Any advice or suggestions please.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
CHA ? Chattanooga ?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Presumably Changi.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I presume that is Changi.

There is no perfect answer here. Personally I prefer to split the trip at SIN or HKG and stay overnight there, but post pandemic that's perhaps not as good an answer. If going directly then the key one to me is to maximise the sleep time on SIN - SYD and work back from that. This is due to the early arrival into SYD. Alternatively or on top, ensure you have hotel access on arrival. So that suggests a shorter snooze on LHR to SIN. Don't over eat at the start, lighter salads to begin with perhaps. You will find a menu in the Club World menu thread for the restored service though this may change in 2 weeks. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.
trolleymusic, SxMan and Reemondo like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by bafan
CHA ? Chattanooga ?
I assume Changi (Singspore) SIN.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Here are similar threads on the same subject which might help too.

BA15 and dealing with jet lag

Sleep from SYD

Travel tips for sleeping longhaul?
orbitmic and Reemondo like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:37 pm

I've done this one quite a few times and have another upcoming. As CWS says, there's no ideal here. But I'd be looking to get a decent rest on the LHR-SIN leg, and then another few hours sleep on the SIN-SYD.

On the return, just sleeping on the SIN-LHR would do it for me.

As for meals, I'd always have dinner on Leg 1and maybe something light on Leg 2.
Returning I'd eat loads on Leg 3 and sleep it off on Leg 4!

Don't forget the showers in SIN can be a godsend to refresh you in either direction. Take a small change of shirt, underwear in your carry-on. Makes a world of difference.
jrfsp320, rt23456p and Mithria like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA gold
I've done this trip more times than I care to remember, mostly in Y.

I find a decent short-ish sleep soon after the first meal, wake up "early", followed by a refreshing shower in the lounges (there's both the QF and BA lounge next door to each other), and the maximise the sleep on the SIN-LHR sector. Usually I manage to stay up most of the day in Australia to about 15:00 in this way.

On the return to UK I've yet to find a routine that works for me.
PETER01 and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:45 pm

Drink loads! Ideally taking the afternoon flight on the way out, that lands in the evening in Australia.

Heading west, things are less problematic, but still, drink loads!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bafan
CHA ? Chattanooga ?
Silly me, it's Singapore and there was me trying to be clever! .Thanks for everyone's suggestions and the links, I've yet to master the search box
bafan and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Did it for a few years while working there (in y and on different airlines / timings). So this was focused on jet lag rather than enjoying the flights. Agree with others arriving in the morning is hardest timing but that's what you have.

Set watch to new time as you leave. I would get up early on departure day, since your departure is 8.30 am new time, I would eat in the lounge and get straight to sleep for a few hours and wake myself up after ~6 hours so I can sleep again on the SIN-SYD leg. So in Y i would take a sandwich with me and eat the second meal. As said use the lounge at SIN and eat enough so you can ignore food on the SIN-Syd leg and just sleep. The first day will feel crappy by 3 pm so get early check in if you can but do not be tempted to lie down, use a swimming pool or walks in the park to keep awake.

Coming back you leave SYD on a 'day flight' on your new UK time. If you can cope tired then try and stay awake for all of that flight, eat, lounge at SIN and then sleep on the second flight. I never manage to stay awake so I ignored the first meal on SYD-SIN and tried to get 4 hours rest, then wake myself up about 3-4 hours from SIN, eat in the lounge and the first meal on the SIN flight and then try to sleep again.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The main advice I would give is not to worry, limit the alcohol, and nap when you feel like it. Stay up until reasonable bedtime when you arrive in Sydney.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Not easy, but the best way to do it is to think through your flights as if they were all taking place on Sydney time and try to sleep accordingly. In this case for your outbound (if my math is correct, which it probably is not)..

MAN 0410 LON 0510
LON 0835 SIN 2145
SIN 2310 SYD 0655

Ideally, in a perfect world, I would try to get on the Sydney schedule the day of the flight by sleeping in as late as possible and then staying up for the entirety of the MAN-LON-SIN flights before sleeping on SIN-SYD. In reality, that might not be practical, but I find that I can get closer to being on Aussie time that way.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Check out the Timeshifter app. It works really well to minimize jet lag.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m currently on my first-ever trip to Oz and I can definitely recommend a 48-hour stopover in SIN. I set my watch to Singapore time for the first leg and then to AEDT for the second. Within 2 days of arrival in SYD I was sleeping normally and I had no feeling of jet lag.

I’m currently in MEL. I can thoroughly recommend the country as a destination with my trip being enhanced on Sunday by being at the MCG for England’s T20 Final win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.