Travel tips for sleeping longhaul?

Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Travel tips for sleeping longhaul?

I have a upcoming long haul flight in eco departing around 8pm and arriving around 7am on the morning (hopefully i can snag a upgrade), its technically a 6 hour flight with time zone difference, I am thinking eat early or eat at airport and then try sleep on the flight or after meal service an hour into the flight.

Generally speaking, I have always found it hard to sleep on a flight in eco and business. My head just wont sleep, at best ill close my eyes and try switching off.

I was thinking for this upcoming flight I really need to try sleep and wake up fresh or at least have had some sleep. I was thinking maybe sleeping tablets or some light sleep aid but thought i cant be the only one, have any of you overcome it or found a way to sleep or switch off.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:11 pm
formerly JackDann

Booze.

Don’t touch sleeping tablets.
noniron, jrfsp320 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
The sleep aids tend to have a much longer time of effect than you need for a 6 hour overnight flight. I wouldn't recommend them.
A nice glass or two of your favourite tipple may help.
the phoenix and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Enjoy a hearty lunch then fast until breakfast the next morning. It’s important not to skip breakfast as this meal will help you adjust to the new time zone. Drink plenty of water during the day before the flight and of course during the flight. Abstain from the sauce no matter how tempting it might be..
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I think it's very personal and dependent from one habits and regular sleep/wake patterns, plus age.

I usually have no trouble to fall asleep on a plane, but how long I can stay actually asleep it depends a lot from the seat padding. Also, I don't suffer jet lag because my sleep pattern is already "disturbed" on its own.

I wouldn't take any pills on a flight because I want to be fully alert in case of any kind of emergency. In your case I would try to find anything you consider relaxing, a movie, a book or soundtrack and use it to "set the mood". Also, wear only comfortable clothes and have a good head support. If you like tea or something like that and you think they can help to relax, a cup before closing your eyes could help too.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Here are a few threads which have various and different recommendations. Everyone is different though. I usually find getting up early on the day of departure, being active if possible and avoiding alcohol helps. YMMV.

IAD-LHR - maximizing sleep?

How do you sleep on planes?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BA has little sort of "ears" in Y you can pull forward to stop your head from moving around, which is really helpful.

Don't drink excessively. You just wake up with a dry mouth and hangover 3 hours in, and it's as bad as not sleeping at all. I wouldn't take sleeping pills, but some mild ones - anti histamine type - may help you drop off. Don't think about sleeping, watch a film or read a book until you feel yourself nodding off. Don't expect good quality of sleep, just enough to take the edge off, and don't worry if you can't sleep.
quoo likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To me the first tip is don't panic about not sleeping. The more worried one is about it, the one less sleeps. I disagree with the tips on booze, it makes you less likely to sleep and worsens the sleep quality too. Try to enjoy your flight, eat and drink likely apart from water (no problem at all about enjoying a glass or two of something but I wouldn't go beyond that), enjoy a book or a film, and when you start feeling tired try to sleep. In Y, I never manage (unless I have an empty row so can lie down) but in J, it usually works for me like that.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Get to the lounge early, load 20 cans of Heineken beer into your carry-on (ignore the FTers giving you the Stares) and get to your seat. Shoes off, "little wings" on the headrest out, and then 1 can per 10 mins for the first hour and 1 can per 15 mins after that. When you wake up with "ten minutes till landing" the helpful BA crew will have taken away the empties and you will be good to go!

Seriously..... dont expect to sleep and a be grateful for the couple of hours dozing if it happens. A good book or documentary series on your ipad will help.

My best recommendation is to read the WIKI forums on how to gain status and TP runs. I did it about 6 years ago and have had a lie flat bed ever since. Thanks FT community.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sleeping tablets.

Don’t touch booze.

I managed about 11 hours sleep in WT+ after taking a Nytol so give them a whirl. Eat little, keep hydrated and buy a really good neck cushion, eye mask and ear plugs.
stewaran and chavala like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I think this is subjective on often you fly.

one a year on holiday feel free to use the booze.
weekly or monthly working when you land, no booze and sleeping tablets if they work for you. no phone or ipad.

If im going east ill try and get up early the couple of days before to try and move my body clock a little in advance
jamiel and roberto99 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by suley
My head just wont sleep, at best ill close my eyes and try switching off.
I would be interested in knowing more about this, since this may hold the key to you getting better sleep. Otherwise I'd be looking at getting up early, restful behaviour onboard, promotion of REM sleep (so not booze), light exercise and access to light at the right time. Difficult to be more specific without details of where you are starting and going! But sleep has a fairly systematic logic to it, so it should be possible to draw up a programme of behaviour and activities that will greatly help you feel either well rested or at least get you back on track quickly. It's possible to ger rid of jetlag altogether if you press the right buttons.

I would strongly resist suggesting sleeping pills for a one off event. Different products do vary in impact but they are not a first resort to my mind and some are unduly impactful in this context.
jamiel, stewaran, squawk and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Tell your Dr your back hurts and you have a long haul flight so can you please have some cyclobenazaprine.

They knock you out in 10 minutes, won't leave you groggy as it clears your system quickly, and have no addictive potential as you quickly build immunity to its effects when used without a long break between doses.

They will leave your muscles pudding though, so be sure to use the bathroom beforehand or you'll likely fall down trying.
Edkelly0404 likes this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Oct 10, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:34 pm

gin and plenty of it
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Get up five hours early the day of the flight.

I absolutely would NOT recommend Benzodiazepines - bad idea.

All other advice above may be suitable for you.

DOI- Doctor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.