Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Self upgrader soon get their marching orders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self upgrader soon get their marching orders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think I would want anyone to think this happens all the time. Yes people get the wrong seat by accident, and sometimes people want to swap seats. For the latter category there are good ways and bad ways to handle that. But in terms of day to day travel, it's quite rare for anyone to self upgrade. Because BA's catering is so limited it's easy to see when it happens, so despite the anecdotes here, I've not really come across this when flying BA, and I've certainly not had a Mexican stand off in this area.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I had this happen to me once on a SYD-SIN-LHR flight in J. I boarded late as i knew i had secured my preferred window seat on the UD. Got to my seat and a lady with a child had taken it as it was next to her husband. Without any hesitation she scoffed at me to just go sit in her seat, which happened to be an aisle seat in the last row. CC could see something was up and came over to investigate, when they saw the lady sitting next to her husband with the child I was promptly told to go sit in her seat as they wouldnt be moving her. I was so surprised i just followed her orders and took the seat. I had paid something like 200 for the window seat which she had taken and I was really p*ssed off about it, but what could i do, when the CC was on her side.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
I had this happen to me once on a SYD-SIN-LHR flight in J. I boarded late as i knew i had secured my preferred window seat on the UD. Got to my seat and a lady with a child had taken it as it was next to her husband. Without any hesitation she scoffed at me to just go sit in her seat, which happened to be an aisle seat in the last row. CC could see something was up and came over to investigate, when they saw the lady sitting next to her husband with the child I was promptly told to go sit in her seat as they wouldnt be moving her. I was so surprised i just followed her orders and took the seat. I had paid something like 200 for the window seat which she had taken and I was really p*ssed off about it, but what could i do, when the CC was on her side.
That is bang out of order. I hope you put in a strong complaint.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by James91
On TikTok there are self proclaimed "travel influencers" who basically tell people to do this and to just brazen it out. I think their hot tip is usually "board last and act like it's your seat" and things like that. What a world we live in!
Tiktok is a drain on society.
alexwuk, stewardo, layz and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
You could have asked to speak to the IFL and asked them to resolve the matter.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You could have asked to speak to the IFL and asked them to resolve the matter.
Im not the type to make a scene, and the CC attitude of 'we wont be inconveniencing this family to accommodate you' kind of left me surprised, so I didnt take it further.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Im not the type to make a scene, and the CC attitude of 'we wont be inconveniencing this family to accommodate you' kind of left me surprised, so I didnt take it further.
I can understand you not wanting to make enemies of fellow passengers or crew (though I'm not sure I or others would have been as accommodating as you were). But given you had paid 200 to select a specific seat, it seems at the very least a refund of seat selection fees would have been in order here!
LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's well beyond BA's protocols, not least because it would cause an issue for BA to refund you without triggering all sorts of enquiries to the IFM and then the IFL. And no IFL, let alone an IFM, would allow this unless there were other factors involved. What the cabin crew said was simply incorrect and would not stand further scrutiny. Presumably this happened quite a few years ago, given the reference to UD.
wrp96, becks1 and jfallesen like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by James91
On TikTok there are self proclaimed "travel influencers" who basically tell people to do this and to just brazen it out. I think their hot tip is usually "board last and act like it's your seat" and things like that. What a world we live in!
I have reached an age where the entire concept of influencers enrages me. Same as life hacks which we call tips.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would certainly have stood my ground for an UD window seat. Curious as to what you did at SIN. Took the same aisle seat or ran through to grab your proper seat on re boarding? ;-)

I would have offered that I go down to rows 1-5 and that is about it.

the challenge is that if you did stand your ground with the old CW you would have spent the 23 hours looking directly at grumpy husband.

I just don’t get it, as CWS there is a good way to do this, ask politely take the poorer seat swap, and of course try your best to fix before you are on the plane. I recognise that canx and rebooking sometimes make a muddle of the best plans.

KF
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by GM1985
I can understand you not wanting to make enemies of fellow passengers or crew (though I'm not sure I or others would have been as accommodating as you were). But given you had paid 200 to select a specific seat, it seems at the very least a refund of seat selection fees would have been in order here!
The way I looked at it, if i forced her to move I would have a p*ssed of lady and child, and have to sit beside a p*ssed off husband for 10 hours, and then have a p*ssed off crew member thinking Im some DYKWIA passenger who wouldnt swap to accommodate a family. If i had forced the move i wouldnt have been comfortable anyway.
London Dude, IMH, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I would have offered that I go down to rows 1-5 and that is about it.

the challenge is that if you did stand your ground with the old CW you would have spent the 23 hours looking directly at grumpy husband.
I thought all Yin Yang CW came with partition walls

or do you mean the multiple takeoff-landing sequence?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:44 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I accidentally self upgraded once. I was travelling weekly to Stockholm And had my boarding passes saved in my Apple wallet. On boarding I opened up my BP and was delighted to see id been upgraded to CE. My pass bleeped red and the gate attendant was trying to sort out why since the BP clearly said club Europe. Anyway she couldnt figure out why and looked at the seat map and told me to just sit in 2D and let the crew know. So I did and then before landing I realised id scanned a BP from a previous flight when id actually been in CE!
the810, wrp96, becks1 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The way I looked at it, if i forced her to move I would have a p*ssed of lady and child, and have to sit beside a p*ssed off husband for 10 hours, and then have a p*ssed off crew member thinking Im some DYKWIA passenger who wouldnt swap to accommodate a family. If i had forced the move i wouldnt have been comfortable anyway.
Give the crew a choice to decide what they want to do about it I guess. Move the wife down, move both the wife and husband down or refund the seat assignment fee w/ customer service (have them mark up the PIL).
GM1985 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Curious as to what you did at SIN. Took the same aisle seat or ran through to grab your proper seat on re boarding? ;-)
KF
I had actually taken advantage of an upgrade offer online when checkin opened for SIN-LHR so I was happy to be in F.
I didn't wander upstairs to J to see if she was still in the same seat or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.