Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Self upgrader soon get their marching orders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self upgrader soon get their marching orders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by Gallus1
Please, please, please NEVER let these whateveryouwantocalltheshi”” get away with it. It is theft and perhaps intimidation. BA must know this is happening and by not clamping down on it they are allowing some of their customers to be manipulated. It’s disgusting.
I know. If I had been even 2-3 minutes earlier, I wouldn’t have backed down on either. It just so happens that each flight I would have held back pushing off if I hadn’t busted ... to get my stuff put up and get in my seat.

I understand there’s an externality to allowing people to get away with this, so I assure you I’m not going to allow this to be a recurring failure on my part.
Gallus1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by wutlol

Thankfully I have never had an issue with being relegated to a lower class on BA because of these shenanigans. I did have someone try to steal my QSuite once but obviously I wasn’t going to let that one fly.
So you're happy for them to take the meal that you have paid for in CE and the drinks?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Slightly OT as it's a story from Aegean but you'll see why that's very relevant... never choose seat 3A! Lots of chancers - and many infrequent fliers - try to claim it (or are already in it when you board) as "it says A3 on my boarding pass". Happened to me several times, and I have to point out that A3 is in fact printed on the boarding pass of every passenger
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Jpm81
As a fellow glaswegian, they would be getting told to golf, tango foxtrot if they were to try that in my seat...

It's theft pure and simple.
Aye, on yer bike boy
sentosa and Fatdickie like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Given the police in the UK doesn’t even show up if you have your car stolen, I somehow doubt they’d trouble themselves with arresting a self-upgrader.
Oh I can assure you they do. Their remit at UK airports it’s strictly the airport and airfield itself. Hence they are not bothered about a car theft on the Bath rd or Pinglestone close, someone else’s patch.
But more so than that, if these chancers happen to be exec card holders or travelling on a corporate booking, their boss or travel account manager will know about their antics too. You’d be amazed just how much information the security team at BA have access to about anyone on their aircraft.
Of course differing levels of chancer receive differing levels of response, we certainly don’t go nuclear for tiktok ‘influenza’ trying it on and then being suitably embarrassed by the crew.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: AA CK, AI Platinum, BA Gold, EK Silver
Quick question.. do these self upgraders follow a particular characteristic or pattern, for example I would assume that they are not frequent flyers (at least to the lofty heights of gold and above).

Are they young, or look like business people, smartly dressed, etc? Just out of curiosity..

Also, do you normally see them on short haul, or has someone really chanced their arm and tried a self upgrade to club or first on long haul?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Red_01
Quick question.. do these self upgraders follow a particular characteristic or pattern, for example I would assume that they are not frequent flyers (at least to the lofty heights of gold and above).

Are they young, or look like business people, smartly dressed, etc? Just out of curiosity..

Also, do you normally see them on short haul, or has someone really chanced their arm and tried a self upgrade to club or first on long haul?
it literally takes all sorts. You’d be quite amazed, they are not all young 20 somethings. Some are actually quite senior in their organisations and with far more ‘wisdom’.
efincomputer and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Red_01

James91 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
What a twit; if only they'd woken him up with a meal, a courteous smile and a full one way walk up ticket price invoice.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gallus1
Is this really a thing? You get to your seat and some whatsitcalled tries to dismiss you to the back of the bus because they prefer your seat?
I must confess that I would be apoplectic and would not be happy if this individual was then allowed to continue to travel anywhere within my vicinity.

Edit: Glaswegian’s don’t take being disrespected very well!
We'll set about ye!

I've never understood this behaviour by passengers - especially it they are brazen enough to try and tell you to move when you challenge them for being in your seat. Thankfully my experience of having someone in my seat has been limited to them reading the wrong row (1 forward or back from the row they were meant to be in); being on the wrong side (they had a window in the right row but somehow picked A instead of F), or the idiot who tried to argue that they had the window seat because they couldnt read the sign above the chair which clearly indicates that D is the aisle seat, and F is the window (seriously though - if that was their logic, do they really think the seats went CBA then FED??). Never had to kick out a self-upgrader thankfully.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I would probably responded to anyone refusing to move from the seat on my boarding pass with “I’m sorry I paid to reserve that seat so I’d like to sit there”. I would then resort to speaking to the Cabin Crew.

Honest mistakes do happen, and I’ve made them, but I think it’s very easy to tell the difference.
LETTERBOY, the810 and skipness1E like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I've had similar brazen attempt when I boarded to find someone sitting in my seat, and they very confidently tried to say it was theirs, they'd already unpacked their belongings, settled in, and suggested to me it would be easier for everyone if I found myself an empty seat further back... I was shocked and confused but stood my ground and glanced over to nearby cabin crew who thankfully noticed the kerfuffle and asked to check boarding passes and sent them on their way! Unfortunately they didn't take their cabin bag back with them.
If the overhead lockers are full then I’d promptly remove their bag and inform them to take it back with them politely or just suggest to the cabin crew to check the luggage to BFE as final destination.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by drwook
What a twit; if only they'd woken him up with a meal, a courteous smile and a full one way walk up ticket price invoice.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was staged in some way.
I.e. had the correct ticket; crew let him for filming purposes etc.
Much like a lot of these bloggers casually dropping Ł10k to show off.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
What? Row 30 is not right at the front????
Not on China Southern. Row 31 would be the row 3 in a BA plane!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
I must myself, admit to the late night JFK departure on the 747, heading upstairs and settling myself into 62K and promptly falling asleep.

It wasn't until a few days later that I had the horrible realisation, I had accidentally sat myself in somebody else's 62A, so many years of A being on my RHS and K being on my LHS threw me when walking 'backwards' towards to cockpit that I made a huge mistake.

The gentleman sat in 62K never did say anything to me but if he is on here I owe you an apology!

CB
Markie and Robert279 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.