Newark vs JFK

Old Nov 7, 22, 4:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 4,910
Newark vs JFK

Background story, I have a cruise booked on the QM2 from New York back to Southampton next July and therefore need to get to New York. I am looking at a reward flight as one way CW revenue tickets are going to cost as much as my cruise. Looking at availability, there seems to be plenty of availability to Newark and a bit less to JFK. I plan to travel to New York a couple of days before the cruise. My question is there any advantage in flying to JFK over Newark, is it worth staying near Newark and what is it like to get into central New York by public transportation from the Newark area?

Thanks in advance
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 4:20 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,454
Biggest advantage IMHO is the fact there are a lot more flights per day between JFK and LHR, so should there be disruption then you stand a better chance of travelling.
Lucanesque is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gloucestershire
Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,017
JFK is definitely more pleasant to depart from, but that doesn't apply to you.

Both are reasonably well served by cabs and trains.

There may be a better CW product on JFK - try to get Club Suits if you can - which suggests you're better off on a 777. (Not sure what's flying to EWR at the moment).

The disruption point is a good one, although BA will generally allow re-routing to JFK if there is capacity, rather than enforcing a wait for the next available flight to EWR.
Cymro is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 584
EWR to NYC is easy enough by train - just catch the automated transit to the airport rail station from where theres a decent service direct into Penn Station (either by Amtrak or New Jersey Transit).

You could also consider looking at reward availability to JFK via MAD with IB if you want to pay considerably lower taxes & charges.

I was going to suggest buying a return from LHR-JFK and just throwing away the return leg unused, but Id be reticent to do anything that confuses the CBP into thinking you havent left the US.
GumshoeW12 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,086
The mid afternoon EWR is my favourite flight, always a CS aircraft and touch wood never a queue at immigration. The later flight at the moment is occasionally swapped to old CW and is probably a bit later arrival than preferred for a leisure trip. It's very easy to get into the city using public transport or get an Uber.

One option for a hotel depending on your NYC plans is to stay at either of the Hyatts in Jersey City which are even closer to Newark Airport - very easy to reach Manhattan via the ferries or PATH depending on your destination. But really landing at Newark is no reason not to stay in Manhattan if you so wish.

As you're flying from London then if there is any disruption you'd have plenty of options for an alternative flight (to JFK if needs be)
sammyg901 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,086
BTW - have you asked the cruise line ? They usually negotiate one way tickets for this scenario (as they can sell the other "half" of the ticket to someone cruising in the other direction!)
sammyg901 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatwick, UK
Programs: UA *G, AA EXP, BA Gold
Posts: 1,608
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
EWR to NYC is easy enough by train - just catch the automated transit to the airport rail station from where theres a decent service direct into Penn Station (either by Amtrak or New Jersey Transit).
For JFK to NYC the easiest (but not cheapest) public transport is to take Airtrain from JFK Terminal to Jamaica station (on the Long Island Railroad), which costs $8 and then the Long Island Railroad from Jamaica station into Penn Station or the Brooklyn station (about $15)
SeattleDavid is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:25 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 4,910
Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
BTW - have you asked the cruise line ? They usually negotiate one way tickets for this scenario (as they can sell the other "half" of the ticket to someone cruising in the other direction!)
On enquiry, it would appear that my cruise line only sell flights in Economy Class, whatever that is.😀
dcmike, jsn55, bafan and 9 others like this.
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:32 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: City of Kingston Upon Hull
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 4,910
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
EWR to NYC is easy enough by train - just catch the automated transit to the airport rail station from where theres a decent service direct into Penn Station (either by Amtrak or New Jersey Transit).

You could also consider looking at reward availability to JFK via MAD with IB if you want to pay considerably lower taxes & charges.

I was going to suggest buying a return from LHR-JFK and just throwing away the return leg unused, but Id be reticent to do anything that confuses the CBP into thinking you havent left the US.
I assume that there will be CBP agents at the cruise terminal to stamp you out of the country. Just thinking aloud though, I expect that I will have to show my cruise ticket to gain entry, and can expect the SSSS at LHR.
kanderson1965 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,786
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
Background story, I have a cruise booked on the QM2 from New York back to Southampton next July and therefore need to get to New York. I am looking at a reward flight as one way CW revenue tickets are going to cost as much as my cruise. Looking at availability, there seems to be plenty of availability to Newark and a bit less to JFK. I plan to travel to New York a couple of days before the cruise. My question is there any advantage in flying to JFK over Newark, is it worth staying near Newark and what is it like to get into central New York by public transportation from the Newark area?

Thanks in advance
EWR is a better arrival experience and a much easier ride into Manhattan on public transport, in my admittedly limited experience
mrow, lhrsfo, PVDtoDEL and 8 others like this.
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:44 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,086
BA will likely ask for the cruise ticket. Maybe CBP. OW doesn't automatically mean SSSS!
sammyg901 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 584
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
I assume that there will be CBP agents at the cruise terminal to stamp you out of the country.
No, itll be up to the cruise line to process emigration documentation, as the airlines do when you fly.

But youre right to assume that a one-way ticket may well lead to extra scrutiny on arrival.
GumshoeW12 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 584
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
On enquiry, it would appear that my cruise line only sell flights in Economy Class, whatever that is.😀
Really? I find it hard to believe that Cunard wont arrange J or F flights. The QM2 isnt exactly low-end!
BearX220 and ijgordon like this.
GumshoeW12 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 6:14 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK
Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
No, itll be up to the cruise line to process emigration documentation, as the airlines do when you fly.

But youre right to assume that a one-way ticket may well lead to extra scrutiny on arrival.
Cunard will arrange J or even F for you upon request but when I asked them for prices a while ago they politely requested I pay through the nose, hopefully the OP has better luck.
cbyrne92 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 22, 6:53 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: U.K.
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 178
Flew out of EWR in May, albeit for the first time. Took forever to get to from Central Park area.Found it a strange experience. Check in was in the basement. No priority security lanes. Lounge was nothing to write home about. Food was excellent though. The much fabled lounge dragon,Rosa was miserable and curt at times. Just a dated terminal and a dull experience inmo. In the words of June Whitfield in Carry on Abroad. ' I tried it once, I didnt like it' Will stick to JFK in future.
becks1 likes this.
Magnus77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread