Newark vs JFK

Old Nov 7, 22, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Blade from JFK ?
Old Nov 7, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA ExecPlat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Diamond; National EE
If you are traveling light enough, i.e. can carry suitcases up and down stairs and don't need a lift, then I would say JFK's connectivity to the subway is actually pretty good and can get you to anywhere you need to be in Manhattan quite inexpensively.
Old Nov 7, 22, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
If you are traveling light enough, i.e. can carry suitcases up and down stairs and don't need a lift, then I would say JFK's connectivity to the subway is actually pretty good and can get you to anywhere you need to be in Manhattan quite inexpensively.
While not every subway station in NYC has elevators/escalators, many of the bigger ones do. And there are both at the subway station underneath the Jamaica JFK AirTrain station; sometimes they even work.

In addition, there are three elevators from the AirTrain level down to the subway entrance level.
Old Nov 7, 22, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Magnus77 View Post
Flew out of EWR in May, albeit for the first time. Took forever to get to from Central Park area.Found it a strange experience. Check in was in the basement. No priority security lanes. Lounge was nothing to write home about. Food was excellent though. The much fabled lounge dragon,Rosa was miserable and curt at times. Just a dated terminal and a dull experience inmo. In the words of June Whitfield in Carry on Abroad. ' I tried it once, I didnt like it' Will stick to JFK in future.
Alas, this is true for BA in EWR. Were you on UA or *, much better experiences.
mrow likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 2:51 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Blade from JFK ?
This is the best idea as long as it's within budget, and Blade also serves EWR (though I think views will be better from JFK). I'd imagine OP is traveling with more than just a carry-on given the cruise, so would have to use Blade's baggage service.
Old Nov 7, 22, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
Train into Penn is very easy from Newark - a surprisingly pleasant trip and quite fun.
I have done it a few times several years ago.

The confusing bit is the intermediate Newark Penn Station en route to New York Penn Station In my post-flight daze I misheard an announcement saying This is Penn Station Newark and jumped off the train. In the few seconds it took me to realise that this was not Manhattan the doors had closed!
Old Nov 7, 22, 3:51 pm

Programs: "Only" 55,000 TPs until GGLfL
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
In addition, there are three elevators from the AirTrain level down to the subway entrance level.
I have flown 2,600,000 miles in the last 20 years and so I say with moderate confidence that these three (At the far end of the upper LIRR concourse in Jamaica) are the slowest elevators known to man; they also look like they were last cleaned properly before covid. Suggest take the lift in the AirTrain concourse the street and then walk the 50 yards on the sidewalk to the escalators in to the subway.

I will second the suggestion of Blade.
Old Nov 7, 22, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
Thanks all for the info, I think Ill take a punt on EWR as it is a new airport for me. I did ask regarding J and F when booking but the agent didnt seem too clued up regarding flights and only had pricing available A aa a cc for Y. Sounds like they would just charge the same amount as the airline. I have loads of Avios to burn anyway.
WTP can often be had for a small additional fee - i say small as its all relative and you need to do it before the flight is ticketed otherwise you get hit with a change fee on top of the additional fare.

Your agent has to call Cunard and ask for the fare difference. I took QM2 from nyc couple of weeks ago and tried for a few months to get J but the fare diff was too high. WTP was fine, better than I expected and the main meal was good. Cater yourself for the Snack as its crap!
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
Train into Penn is very easy from Newark - a surprisingly pleasant trip and quite fun.

I remain astounded at how poor the public transport options are though for getting to JFK - they are not easy to do!
It's the same exact thing, an airport light rail to a regional commuter train. The only difference is AirTrain JFK is newer and more comfortable than AirTrain EWR and LIRR is newer, more comfortable and more frequent than NJT.
Old Nov 7, 22, 6:42 pm

Programs: "Only" 55,000 TPs until GGLfL
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
It's the same exact thing, an airport light rail to a regional commuter train. The only difference is AirTrain JFK is newer and more comfortable than AirTrain EWR and LIRR is newer, more comfortable and more frequent than NJT.
LIRR is new? The M7 cars were built 1999-2006 and the M3s in the mid-80s!
Old Nov 7, 22, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by alexwuk View Post
LIRR is new? The M7 cars were built 1999-2006 and the M3s in the mid-80s!
"newer"

The average age of the NJT fleet is higher. Those NJT seats that wing 180 degrees are truly terrible.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 7:33 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I am aware that the lounge situation is about to change at JFK, but which airport would people recommend for a departing F experience? This would be in April. Is pre-flight F dining back at EWR? I am guessing for passport line ups, EWR is better than JFK for the flight back? I am thinking of the 11am-ish LHR-EWR flight--if people have knowledge on whether there is tea for the second meal.
Old Nov 7, 22, 8:27 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
If arriving on a weekday outside of 6am to 10am, the LIRR CityTicket from JFK AirTrain terminal Jamaica to Penn Station or Brooklyn is only 5$. An "Atlantic Ticket" available only at ticket machines is also available to Brooklyn for 5$ at all times. The LIRR doesn't advertise this option much so many travelers end up buying the much more expensive full peak or off-peak fares.

https://new.mta.info/fares/cityticket and https://new.mta.info/fares/atlantic-ticket

EDIT: I see guv1976 already noted this earlier upthread, I added info about the Atlantic Ticket. Please don't let the LIRR rip you off! The AirTrain is a big enough ripoff as it is

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
For JFK to NYC the easiest (but not cheapest) public transport is to take Airtrain from JFK Terminal to Jamaica station (on the Long Island Railroad), which costs $8 and then the Long Island Railroad from Jamaica station into Penn Station or the Brooklyn station (about $15)
salut0 and aquanine like this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:05 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I got used to flying into EWR with Continental and found it vastly preferable than JFK or LaGuardia. If I was in NY for pleasure, I could get a nice hotel for $100 a night and take the train from the airport into Grand Central, or was it Penn Station? Run around Manhattan all day, then come 'home' via the train and the hotel shuttle.. Hotels are nicer (and far more quiet) for the price, and arriving in midtown means you can go any direction you please. You'll save enough money to just take a black car over to board your ship.

Last edited by jsn55; Nov 7, 22 at 9:14 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I think EWR is a little easier in terms of getting from the airport to midtown, although I don't think there's a huge difference. I'd prefer JFK if you plan on taking a taxi, although neither is pleasant in midday.

Search this Thread