Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why would a BA holiday ask for full payment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would a BA holiday ask for full payment?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I found this:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...posit-holidays

Which type of bookings are eligible for deposits?

Low online deposits can only be paid for bookings created as flight + hotel or flight + car packages or any two products booked via Customise Your Trip, this can exclude a flight. All flight only, hotel, car and experience only bookings, and any hotel, car or experiences added to a flight only booking are excluded from this offer.

So it looks like if you book a flight and then book a car or hotel afterwards to turn it into a linked arrangement you have to pay in full.

If you book flight and car or flight and hotel at the same time then it allows you to pay a deposit.

So i wonder if the way you're trying to book is causing the issue.

I also found out that Holidays secured with s deposit have to be paid in full 7 weeks before
See When is the full balance due? on the same link.
Anonba and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AJA_
Low online deposits can only be paid for bookings created as flight + hotel or flight + car packages or any two products booked via Customise Your Trip, this can exclude a flight. All flight only, hotel, car and experience only bookings, and any hotel, car or experiences added to a flight only booking are excluded from this offer.

So it looks like if you book a flight and then book a car or hotel afterwards to turn it into a linked arrangement you have to pay in full.

Alas that doesn't cover what happened to me. In both outcomes, I was booking via the BA holiday page - which asks you if you want the entire term or just a part hire/stay. Full term = deposit. Part time = full fee. Not a flight booked first scenario (as the T&Cs rightly exclude) but a build-your-own-package. I did at one point think "ah you idiot" you selected the flights and then added the car, that's why it's not a 'holiday' but no that had no impact.

Very strange and something I'd like to get to the bottom of as I am hoping to get a couple more BA holidays booked in for the double TPs (as are quite a lot of others, I am sure).
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:22 am

When I booked my October trip to Florida back in June, I had to pay the full amount & that was for full accomodation & car hire for the duration. When I searched & booked though, rather than going through BA holidays I searched flight only then added the other items at each offered stage & will still be getting the double Avios bonus
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ive had really inconsistent results over the years depending which route I use? The only one Ive had reasonably consistent outcomes with, if its not a simple trip, is the custom trip builder, even if the flights are just return to the same destination. Usually I get offered a deposit option then?

I access it from the front end of BA.com.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just did a dummy booking that way.

A week in Vegas in Nov, car for 3 nights mid trip, offering me the 150 deposit.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:52 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Scotair
Book the car for the full trip. Stay the first night in an airport hotel and pick up the car the next day - never had an issue with this
I did this in Tampa in January. I asked at one Avis desk if I could leave the car in the car park and was told 'no'. When I collected the keys, the lady told me that I was fine not to drive the car until the next day. When I tried to leave the car park the following day there was some kerfuffle at the gate, but I was eventually let out. And the double TPs were forthcoming.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Oddly I tried to create a similar itinerary to that of the OP to see what happens using custom trip tool.

Example - Flights late Dec to SFO, pick up car day after arrival, hand back after 5 days in a different city, then get another after a day's break and return to SFO.

Deposit option is clearly there ... perhaps it's as simple as use another browser or make sure you go via the custom tool? It's an odd one certainly.

SavvyTravel and Alan T like this.

Last edited by Hydebear; Sep 7, 2022 at 5:00 am
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Originally Posted by Hydebear
Oddly I tried to create a similar itinerary to that of the OP to see what happens using custom trip tool.

Example - Flights late Dec to SFO, pick up car day after arrival, hand back after 5 days in a different city, then get another after a day's break and return to SFO.

Deposit option is clearly there ... perhaps it's as simple as use another browser or make sure you go via the custom tool? It's an odd one certainly.

I was having trouble with this also yesterday, I confirm Custom Booking Tool still fixes it as of June 2023.

This is the option you want:
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
You are using the wrong page most likely. I had these issues in the past when booking hotel or car only for part of the trip. Don't use the page called "Flight and Hotel" or "Flight and car". You must use the custom booking page which is not that easy to find (I bookmarked it). The hotel or car needs to be for minimum 3 days I believe for deposit to work.
I now almost exclusively book flights with a car or hotel for part of the trip so I am very familiar with your issue
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
You are using the wrong page most likely. I had these issues in the past when booking hotel or car only for part of the trip. Don't use the page called "Flight and Hotel" or "Flight and car". You must use the custom booking page which is not that easy to find (I bookmarked it). The hotel or car needs to be for minimum 3 days I believe for deposit to work.
I now almost exclusively book flights with a car or hotel for part of the trip so I am very familiar with your issue
I was indeed doing what you said, but the above custom booking option worked. 1 day car hire only, no hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
We have had no problems booking a flight and a hotel for 1 night to qualify for deposit payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.