Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Even CCR staff have given up on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Even CCR staff have given up on BA

Arrived in CCR today en route SFO/LHR/ZRH in F to find that onward BA718 LHR/ZRH had been cancelled with only few hours notice, reportedly due to crew shortages.

Sat in CCR for over an hour with bleary eyed family awaiting re-booking, only to be told that there would be no availability to ZRH or even GVA for several days, until earliest the evening of 4th July. Moreover, as CCR couldn't resolve rebookings and there were apparently only two ticket staff on duty at T5 this afternoon handling all the chaos, we'd have to go to A17 to enter UK (luckily we also have UK passports), then collect our bags from the huge pile at belt 11 and sort our own futures out with MMB. Staff at CCR were clearly ashamed at the situation and one remarked that "we're having to go on strike to get BA to do anything about this understaffing". Hmm...

I wish I'd taken a photo of the hundreds of angry & disrupted pax at belt 11 searching through the piles of bags - a bit like the scenes of trying to I.D. in a morgue - BA staff were at least giving out crisps & water, but still not quite the LHR transit catering experience I'd hoped for when shelling out for F.

This extraordinary mid-journey abandonment, by the way, followed a stressful hour spent yesterday afternoon at SFO check-in because our much "invol resched" flights booked last August hadn't been properly re-ticketed. I always take the CWS precaution of checking for ticket numbers & downloading e-ticket receipt at -48hrs to double check, but apparently the ticketing shown in the check-in system differed and was incomplete as it had no SFO/LHR sector, even though the full journey was shown on MMB, e-ticket receipt & App, which is a worrying new one for me even in the panoply of BA IT screw ups inflicted on my travels of late! Needless to say, BA SFO couldn't get through to anyone in the UK to sort out. And of course BA286 was a full A380 and so when we eventually made it to a SFO lounge there was not a seat available until I complained & got the barrier removed from the closed F dining area (as per a previous Flyertalk hint!)

After 40 years of travelling with BA since I was a kid, I have to say that the last 24hrs have been the worst as I've never before been abandoned with family at the mid point of a long haul journey, by BA or any other airline. For heaven's sake, this is (or used to be) BA's proud home base not some far flung outstation. Have claimed the EC261 bits and have cancelled/requested refund of our entire remaining F r/t itinerary as our Swiss side-trip in the short Aussie winter school hols is now ruined, and frankly I'm prepared as a matter of principle to pay whatever it takes to avoid BA ufn. I guess I'm sad as much as angry at this travesty that BA has become, and it was certainly a shame to see the usually chirpy CCR staff at the end of their tether and berating their employer.

Best of luck to the strikers, if that is indeed their grievance.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am sorry to read about your troubles today.

What you can do, if your trip no longer serves the purpose of travel, is tell BA to rebook you back to SFO and then claim a full refund. This is something of a nuclear option but it is allowed for in the Regulation. I would try and find some genuine way to get this to work, either with another airline or flying to Germany / France / Italy and taking the train through to Switzerland.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:48 pm

If - and I do appreciate it’s an if right now - you can get through to BA, they can rebook you onto LX for onward carriage. There is availability tomorrow from London.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks c-w-s for your ingenuity but the Aussie school break is very short and our Swiss arrangements for a tight 4 day visit tagged on to seeing the UK rels were carefully choreographed with around a 24hr tolerance (which I'd foolishly assumed to be sufficient). Fortunately SBB & the Swiss hotels have been very good with cancellations.

As I'm sure many here will know, these tribulations are of a wholly different order of irritation when travelling with wife & young kids, as is the reluctance to get involved in complex re-routes after a long journey. Frankly after the hassle of the last 24hrs, I have to admit that even were I travelling solo, I've wholly lost my normal enthusiasm for contingency planning or indeed anything to do with BA so we'll make do with Devon before returning to Oz.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jun 30, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus
If - and I do appreciate it’s an if right now - you can get through to BA, they can rebook you onto LX for onward carriage. There is availability tomorrow from London.
Thanks - that's interesting but BA CCR told me earlier that there was nothing for all 3 of us to ZRH or GVA till 4th (I cross checked on ExpertFlyer at 1500 and it did seem the case ex all LON airports on BA or LX - we even asked about Easyjet). As above, I've rather lost any urge to hang on a phone to BA after all the changes since we planned the trip back in August and the icing on the cake of the last 24 hours!

By the way, CCR staff initially tried to tell me that BA could not re-book on Swiss as "BA don't have an agreement". Naughty.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jun 30, 2022 at 10:29 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bullswood
Arrived in CCR today en route SFO/LHR/ZRH in F to find that onward BA718 LHR/ZRH had been cancelled with only few hours notice, reportedly due to crew shortages.

Sat in CCR for over an hour with bleary eyed family awaiting re-booking, only to be told that there would be no availability to ZRH or even GVA for several days, until earliest the evening of 4th July. Moreover, as CCR couldn't resolve rebookings and there were apparently only two ticket staff on duty at T5 this afternoon handling all the chaos, we'd have to go to A17 to enter UK (luckily we also have UK passports), then collect our bags from the huge pile at belt 11 and sort our own futures out with MMB. Staff at CCR were clearly ashamed at the situation and one remarked that "we're having to go on strike to get BA to do anything about this understaffing". Hmm...

I wish I'd taken a photo of the hundreds of angry & disrupted pax at belt 11 searching through the piles of bags - a bit like the scenes of trying to I.D. in a morgue - BA staff were at least giving out crisps & water, but still not quite the LHR transit catering experience I'd hoped for when shelling out for F.

This extraordinary mid-journey abandonment, by the way, followed a stressful hour spent yesterday afternoon at SFO check-in because our much "invol resched" flights booked last August hadn't been properly re-ticketed. I always take the CWS precaution of checking for ticket numbers & downloading e-ticket receipt at -48hrs to double check, but apparently the ticketing shown in the check-in system differed and was incomplete as it had no SFO/LHR sector, even though the full journey was shown on MMB, e-ticket receipt & App, which is a worrying new one for me even in the panoply of BA IT screw ups inflicted on my travels of late! Needless to say, BA SFO couldn't get through to anyone in the UK to sort out. And of course BA286 was a full A380 and so when we eventually made it to a SFO lounge there was not a seat available until I complained & got the barrier removed from the closed F dining area (as per a previous Flyertalk hint!)

After 40 years of travelling with BA since I was a kid, I have to say that the last 24hrs have been the worst as I've never before been abandoned with family at the mid point of a long haul journey, by BA or any other airline. For heaven's sake, this is (or used to be) BA's proud home base not some far flung outstation. Have claimed the EC261 bits and have cancelled/requested refund of our entire remaining F r/t itinerary as our Swiss side-trip in the short Aussie winter school hols is now ruined, and frankly I'm prepared as a matter of principle to pay whatever it takes to avoid BA ufn. I guess I'm sad as much as angry at this travesty that BA has become, and it was certainly a shame to see the usually chirpy CCR staff at the end of their tether and berating their employer.

Best of luck to the strikers, if that is indeed their grievance.
Oof, I’m really sorry to hear that and am sorry to hear about BA corporate’s nonchalance at the situation. Flying this same itinerary tomorrow night with the wife (Paid F on BA286 / J on BA718) and hoping for better luck. I had a similar issue (needing to reschedule due to canceled SFO / ZRH flights) and am wondering if you have any tips for reticketing ahead of time (before reaching SFO) given the frustrating ordeal that you were subject to? And any word on if the F Dining Area at the SFO BA lounge is offering any upgraded dining / wine nowadays? Hoping for the best for you and the family and that this gets resolved in a fair way for you all!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Thanks - that's interesting but BA CCR told me earlier that there was nothing for all 3 of us to ZRH or GVA till 4th (I cross checked on ExpertFlyer at 1500 and it did seem the case ex all LON airports on BA or LX - we even asked about Easyjet). As above, I've rather lost any urge to hang on a phone to BA after all the changes since we planned the trip back in August and the icing on the cake of the last 24 hours!

By the way, CCR staff initially tried to tell me that BA could not re-book on Swiss as "BA don't have an agreement". Naughty.
You could try Milan (either airport). The train from Milan to Zurich is regular and pleasant (2.5 hrs, comparable with GVA). Basel is an option too.
Bullswood likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernad
Oof, I’m really sorry to hear that and am sorry to hear about BA corporate’s nonchalance at the situation. Flying this same itinerary tomorrow night with the wife (Paid F on BA286 / J on BA718) and hoping for better luck. I had a similar issue (needing to reschedule due to canceled SFO / ZRH flights) and am wondering if you have any tips for reticketing ahead of time (before reaching SFO) given the frustrating ordeal that you were subject to? And any word on if the F Dining Area at the SFO BA lounge is offering any upgraded dining / wine nowadays? Hoping for the best for you and the family and that this gets resolved in a fair way for you all!
Only advice would be to get to SFO early (like 3hrs) in case of problems. Re the SFO F lounge annex, I have no idea if it was enhanced catering but it was perfectly OK. No other F passengers in there as not offered by BA uniformed entry person upstairs and the entrance obviously deliberately obstructed by a big floor-standing advert board - we were let in by a helpful (non-BA) catering person after enquiring whether standing room only was the F product.

The flight itself was fine & almost on time, despite recent long delays. Usual wait for stand guidance to be switched on at LHR and a clearly exasperated flight deck.

To cap it all, just received following in reply to my email complaint to YouFirst (which had absolutely nothing to do with spas):

"Thank you for contacting British Airways You First.

Due to these unprecedented circumstances, the Elemis Travel Spas at London Heathrow and JFK Terminal 7 have been closed.
We apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience this causes you."

......?

Last edited by Bullswood; Jul 1, 2022 at 9:02 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:07 am

Like others in the thread, I am sorry to hear about what sounds like a very tiring and frustrating experience.

For the future, I can second that Basel is a good alternative if you can’t get to ZRH - the Airport bus #50 runs every 10 minutes to Basel SBB station, from where there are plenty of frequent and reliable trains all over the country. Zurich itself is about an hour.
Bullswood, DeathSlam and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abligh
You could try Milan (either airport). The train from Milan to Zurich is regular and pleasant (2.5 hrs, comparable with GVA). Basel is an option too.
Many thanks abligh & squawk, but as above, all cancelled as absolutely no appetite for spending any more time and effort dealing with BA only to most likely be stuck in Europe on our return as well. With 5 changes since August and yesterday's chaos, "Booking with Confidence" was clearly a cruel joke.
Many other kids in tears at LHR yesterday with ruined holidays but I try to tell mine that it's nothing compared with being blown to bits in Ukraine...
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just received following in reply to my email complaint to YouFirst (which had absolutely nothing to do with Spas!):

Due to these unprecedented circumstances, the Elemis Travel Spas at London Heathrow and JFK Terminal 7 have been closed.
Unbelievable... The BA random response generator has been installed at the YouFirst offices now!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:43 am

Many thanks abligh & squawk, but as above, all cancelled as absolutely no appetite for spending any more time and effort dealing with BA only to most likely be stuck in Europe on our return as well.
Totally understandable, especially on a tight itinerary. I hope you and your family are able to have an enjoyable and relaxing time for the next few days in Devon.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

I had to go to MCOL to claim the cost of Swiss flights after a last minute cancellation of our return from GVA to LHR in Feb half term, they have now agreed to refund the flight cost just before a court date was set. Haven't had the money yet nor acknowledgement that they will now refund the remaining 3 tickets. We may end up doing another 3 individual MCOL claims. The issues aren't just the disruption to flights this year but the very poor way disruptions are handled and wanton disregard for the EU/UK261 rules.
adrianlondon and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Many thanks abligh & squawk, but as above, all cancelled as absolutely no appetite for spending any more time and effort dealing with BA only to most likely be stuck in Europe on our return as well. With 5 changes since August and yesterday's chaos, "Booking with Confidence" was clearly a cruel joke.
Many other kids in tears at LHR yesterday with ruined holidays but I try to tell mine that it's nothing compared with being blown to bits in Ukraine...
Am sure you're totally on top of this Bullswood , but if you've cancelled sectors, please make sure that your return to SFO (if you're returning to SFO) is protected. I'm sure you won't want to check in for the return, only to find that the sector has disappeared.
adrianlondon, Bullswood and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC

Just received following in reply to my email complaint to YouFirst (which had absolutely nothing to do with Spas!):

......?
Oh good grief! How to make an already exasperated customer feel even worse...

My sympathies OP, I remember only once being heavily delayed when the kids were small. It was in British Caledonian’s death throes and we all had boarding passes for the leased aircraft. Only when boarding later did we discover that some of the passes were coded differently and weren’t for this flight at all (the aircraft was smaller) but kept the others placated for a few hours until they were denied boarding! Shocking and I don't know how our children would have coped with yet more hours of sitting around a departure lounge.

I suppose it shows there’s nothing new in callous treatment of passengers left stranded through no fault of their own. However this was not BA first class and not at the airline’s home base.
Bullswood likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.