Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA16 (SYD-SIN-LHR) monkeypox outbreak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
BA16 (SYD-SIN-LHR) monkeypox outbreak

Quite a story brewing in Singapore…..

British Airway crew member struck down with monkeypox – sparking massive delay to London-bound flight

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18960795/british-airway-steward-monkeypox-singapore-diplomatic-row?utm_source=sharebar_app&utm_medium=sharebar_ap p&utm_campaign=sharebar_app_article
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC- Silver
And a photo of an A320 for Singapore flight!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Did you not know that BA ultra long haul has now been enhanced?

The route is actually LHR-FRA-IST-DXB-DEL-BGL-SIN but they only tell you that once the doors are closed and the plane has pushed back.

Originally Posted by Gengy
And a photo of an A320 for Singapore flight!
salut0, Gengy, YacozA and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:16 pm

Whole crew is quarantined in SIN until the 10th July apparently.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

That is awful. Hope they are being well
looked after and cared for. Doubtless some of the crew will have partners and kids from whom they now face prolonged and unplanned separation.
altabello and lcylocal like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
What’s the timing of an LHR-SYD turn for crews these days? About 8 days?

there is a little monkeypox circulating in Sydney but I suspect most likely had it before leaving the UK given the 7-14 day incubation period
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
What’s the timing of an LHR-SYD turn for crews these days? About 8 days?

there is a little monkeypox circulating in Sydney but I suspect most likely had it before leaving the UK given the 7-14 day incubation period
The entire trip takes 9 days out of a crew member’s roster, albeit reporting late on day 1 and clearing early on day 9.
2 nights in SIN, 1 in SYD and another 2 in SIN.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Hard to believe that it was picked up in Sydney, given the timings.

We don’t have enough information to conclude it was picked up in the UK, given we don’t know what the crew member’s movements were before he left for Singapore.

In any event, let’s hope my beloved homeland doesn’t indulge in another round of “close the borders to stop diseased foreigners bringing vile pathogens to this unspoilt land” hysteria.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Given how it takes 2-3 weeks for symptoms to appear; the crew members afflicted almost certainly acquired monkeypox within the UK before travelling with work.

lets hope this doesn’t devolve into a diplomatic incident…
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jeedos
Given how it takes 2-3 weeks for symptoms to appear; the crew members afflicted almost certainly acquired monkeypox within the UK before travelling with work.

lets hope this doesn’t devolve into a diplomatic incident…
Given how it's transmitted I very much doubt that will happen. It's not a big deal.
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Given how it's transmitted I very much doubt that will happen. It's not a big deal.
oh, I agree. But the British tabloids as well as Asian governments are equally hysterical when it comes to both covid-19 and monkeypox.

It’s worth remembering that pretty much everyone over 50 in the world is protected against monkeypox (as smallpox vaccines are both effective and offer lifelong).
NoY, flyingcharlie, HIDDY and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:54 pm

It’s worth remembering that pretty much everyone over 50 in the world is protected against monkeypox (as smallpox vaccines are both effective and offer lifelong).
Today I learned...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Today I learned...
Yes there’s been a fair bit of nonsensical antivax stuff going on in Australia “yet another opportunity for them to push an untested vaccine on us” Etc. Um. Has been in use for over 300 years folk!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:11 pm

Right. In some parts of the world pretty much everyone over 40.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: GGL
Do you have a citation for this? Dryvax, the first generation smallpox vaccine, has more recently provided some protection against monkeypox when newly administered, but I am unaware of any studies into its effectiveness 40+ years after vaccination.

In the 2003 Wisconsin outbreak, 6 out of the 11 persons infected had received childhood smallpox vaccinations* (stopped 1972 in the USA). It is unknown how many were exposed to the agent, so, among much else, incidence in vaccinated and unvaccinated is unknown. Would be interesting if there was a larger study out there.

* https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa032299
FabCW likes this.

Last edited by Mixbury; Jun 22, 2022 at 2:45 am Reason: As I was asking for a citation, thought I had better add my own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.