Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 and refuses to pay compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 and refuses to pay compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My Loves, have you seen the bottom of the article

A British Airways spokesperson said: “We’re sorry that in this case we incorrectly denied a compensation claim and we’re contacting our customer to apologise and resolve the matter.”

I had wondered if anyone here had been in receipt,of a denial of the claim. On the strength of it, it would seem that BA has admitted to a mistake and are taking care of the matter. Does anyone know different or have I missed something?
Apparently KARFA has had his claim denied and is off to CEDR

maybe contacting whoever wrote this article and asking them to get BA to comment will lead to them accepting another "mistake" and contacting him

the last line , in my opinion, shows they know fine they should not be denying these claims and just hoping people go away.

its disgraceful behaviour
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so my claim was for a LHR-MAN flight on 24 April. Email cancellation notice received 10 days before the flight. I have had a reply to the original claim, and a reply to my response to that. See below:

First reply
Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight. Your claim's been refused because BA1394 on 24 April 2022 was cancelled because of operational constraints as a direct result from the Covid-19 pandemic.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

Thanks again for following this up with us. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.
Second reply
Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel flight. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.

I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the response you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct.

As your flight was cancelled due to issues caused by COVID-19, which include staff needing to self isolate, it means you’re not eligible for EU compensation.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances can include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means you’re not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your cancelled flight.

If you would like to know more about EU compensation, please visit our pages on ba.com.

Thanks again for contacting us.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I have just had a claim denied because the flight was cancelled "for operational reasons"

Talk about arguing against yourself..
Old May 11, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
nobody has disputed that covid has played a part in the cancellations.
Not all cancellations… . Indeed some are indirectly cause by Covid yes.

But I firmly believe my cancellation was not due to Covid - it happened during the IT meltdown. This is caused by a lack of investment and poor decision making. It was originally rejected due to ‘operational reasons outside of our control’.

I kicked back and BA surprisingly, and quickly, paid out.

The sceptic in me believes this might now be part of a bigger policy to reject claims to avoid paying out X% hoping those few don’t pursue.
scottishpoet likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes so my claim was for a LHR-MAN flight on 24 April. Email cancellation notice received 10 days before the flight. I have had a reply to the original claim, and a reply to my response to that. See below:

First reply

Second reply
Thanks KARFA

is the basis of your claim against them that you do not believe the issues were covid related as they state, or do you not believe covid is suitable exceptional circumstances 2 years into the pandemic or is there is it something else?
Old May 11, 2022, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My Loves, have you seen the bottom of the article

A British Airways spokesperson said: “We’re sorry that in this case we incorrectly denied a compensation claim and we’re contacting our customer to apologise and resolve the matter.”

I had wondered if anyone here had been in receipt,of a denial of the claim. On the strength of it, it would seem that BA has admitted to a mistake and are taking care of the matter. Does anyone know different or have I missed something?
I would suggest that the reason they're sorry 'in this case' is beccause they've been caught. Karfa's experience seems to show this is a new tactic and not a one-off 'error'.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:23 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
I would suggest that the reason they're sorry 'in this case' is beccause they've been caught. Karfa's experience seems to show this is a new tactic and not a one-off 'error'.
You may well be right - if they picked on KARFA , they had come to the right shop. However, it did seem to me that an awful lot of space was being taken up by something that had actually now been agreed was incorrect. The why is almost irrelevant - and trust me - I had a vested interest in this as well.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision
These are things that can and do affect all airlines. Indeed, all airlines have been affected by Covid-19, but BA seems unique in its inability to get out from under it. Its performance recently has been worse, at least anecdotally, than at the height of the pandemic. .Are any other airlines, including those with significant LHR operations, experiencing the same scope of meltdowns that BA is? Does BA's business model require a staff of older, obese diabetics who would be disproportionately affected by Covid-19? I think not, on both accounts. In this context, BA's cancellations are clearly under their control.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:20 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Just submitted my claim to the CEDR.

Given the talk of a battered reputation and outgoing management, they really don’t learn their lesson..
Old May 11, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by lall
If BA gets away with this, all other airlines will eventually stop any delay/cancellation-related EC compensation to passengers by simply blaming Covid-19 in every single case.
This is what's at stake. A new paradigm shift for impacted passengers from airline compensations to insurance claims very cunningly orchestrated by BA.
Should passengers allow the airlines to get away with this?
Yes and then for how long can you claim that all these cancellations are happening because of Covid? For the next 5 years? 10 years? Or more?
Old May 11, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Yes and then for how long can you claim that all these cancellations are happening because of Covid? For the next 5 years? 10 years? Or more?
If the airline routinely plans for and experiences 5% of crew calling out sick and one day 45% call out sick I can see how that is beyond their control. I am not seeing evidence to support such circumstances, however, nor does that apply to cancels in the 7-14 day range.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KARFA

First reply

Second reply
I had the exact same responses from BA for a cancelled NCL LHR flight. Have now filed with CEDR. On this, KARFA is not unique 😉
Old May 12, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Its about time BA gets taken to court for abuse of position and exploiting customers.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lall
Its about time BA gets taken to court for abuse of position and exploiting customers.
It’s about time we had regulators to effectively ensure airlines play fair. I also still think that airlines that incorrectly deny requests, which are later forced to pay via CEDR or MCOL should be additionally penalised. Sort of like a parking fine if you don’t pay in 14 days.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
For those who have received a response (payment or refusal) , can I ask how long it took to get the reply? I’m coming up to a month on mine and, bar the weekly apology emails, haven’t heard anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.