Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 and refuses to pay compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 and refuses to pay compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
If BA gets away with this, all other airlines will eventually stop any delay/cancellation-related EC compensation to passengers by simply blaming Covid-19 in every single case.
This is what's at stake. A new paradigm shift for impacted passengers from airline compensations to insurance claims very cunningly orchestrated by BA.
Should passengers allow the airlines to get away with this?
Old May 11, 2022, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
And yet if Ryanair had this problem and performed in the same manner then this board would have a very different view.
Why would they? The airline is irrelevant, it's the circumstances of the cancelation that matters. The law is the same.

Do you believe BA would take any of these clains to court and risk getting a ruling that would prevent them from initially denying future claims?
That's something to put to BA rather than me. A judgment will not necessary alter an airline's behaviour, nothing stopping them from refusing any claim they choose. Even with a binding precedent (which a simple judgment is not) that would only be relevant should an airline be taken to court in similar circumstances at a later date. If a binding precedent is established the airline could reject similar claims in the future confident in the knowledge that there is no legal liability.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:19 am

Arguably, the bigger scandal is not BA's approach. They're a commercial entity and will always attempt to try it on.

The wider issue is that the CAA is simply not fit for purpose. They're the regulator, they're the ones tasked with keeping BA and the other airlines in check, and they simply don't. Their pathetic response in Simon Calder's article is simply to wash their hands of the issue and point consumers to arbitration when there is a systemic issue which they should be addressing. That's where people's ire should be directed.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Arguably, the bigger scandal is not BA's approach. They're a commercial entity and will always attempt to try it on.

The wider issue is that the CAA is simply not fit for purpose. They're the regulator, they're the ones tasked with keeping BA and the other airlines in check, and they simply don't. Their pathetic response in Simon Calder's article is simply to wash their hands of the issue and point consumers to arbitration when there is a systemic issue which they should be addressing. That's where people's ire should be directed.
I was unsure if the CAA was the regulatory body here, but absolutely agree. It's clear BA, and probably other airlines too, just deflect (trying to avoid saying lie, but I mean lie) and delay a substantial number of claims, many of which they pay if you follow the procedure to CEDR or MCOL. A proactive regulator would see the number of cases where this happens and take corrective measures.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Duck1981
‘to fly. to serve.’
It’s still accurate. You just need to understand ‘to serve’ refers to court papers these days…
1P, ermis177, Ryanfozzie and 2 others like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The year is 2037. BA deny a passenger cancellation compensation citing Covid as the reason for the delay.

Covid has been around for at least 28 months. How far into the future will there be a legal basis for Covid being responsible for current events? And will the court of public opinion (or the regulator) accept this?
MiraculousM likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
I was unsure if the CAA was the regulatory body here, but absolutely agree. It's clear BA, and probably other airlines too, just deflect (trying to avoid saying lie, but I mean lie) and delay a substantial number of claims, many of which they pay if you follow the procedure to CEDR or MCOL. A proactive regulator would see the number of cases where this happens and take corrective measures.
100% agree. The CAA is an excellent regulator from a safety and standards perspective but woefully falls short from a consumer perspective. Which is probably no surprise as the skills and experience needed to discharge the full range of their mandate are completely different.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by 1P
As long as people keep feeding BA by remaining loyal to it, it will not learn and will not adapt. I thoroughly recommend voting with your wallet.
I give BA my money. If they cancel my flight with less that 14 days' notice, I get my money back and CEDR awards me my compensation. So far, CEDR has always ignored the "it's covid!" BA excuse, determined that it was a commercial decision, and awarded me my EU261 compensation. Luckily, BA just keep cutting & pasting the same covid response, so they lose quickly. I'm currently in profit for the short-haul flights I've taken in 2021/22
MiraculousM likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Frankly, considering that prior to the pandemic BA used all sorts of excuses to avoid paying out legally required compensation, sometimes with outright lies, they really can't be excused now. This is how BA have always behaved when it comes to compensation. Crying wolf
dougzz likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
The year is 2037. BA deny a passenger cancellation compensation citing Covid as the reason for the delay.

Covid has been around for at least 28 months. How far into the future will there be a legal basis for Covid being responsible for current events? And will the court of public opinion (or the regulator) accept this?
Their claim of 'extraordinary circumstance' is not 'covid' in isolation but the culmination of a series of events and circumstances that, when viewed as a whole, create an extraordinary circumstance.

It's not sufficient to simply say 'it's covid'; an airline has a much higher standard of proof to meet. Whilst in isolation none of the events in question amount to 'extraordinary circumstances', when viewed as a whole those circumstances 'could' meet the threshold of extraordinary circumstances. The airline has the burden of proof, and they would have a very tough time meeting that burden, but don't dismiss it. Stranger things have happened.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
I wonder why BA cannot get more staff though ? Could it be because they have a reputation as a bad employer who pays poor salaries and doesn't, really, look after their staff ?

Wasn't there a thread here not so long ago about them offering a £1000 signing bonus to staff with existing security clearance, and wasn't the view there one of "no chance" ?

The reason BA cannot attract staff is nothing to do with COVID. It is everything to do with the fact they are a poor employer, paying poor salaries. Those chickens have well and truly come home to roost.
I think that's a simplification of the current economic situation. Staff shortages are widespread through the whole economy, including places where there is a high salary. According to the Q1 reports there where 1.600 recruits with 3.100 in referencing. That is not nothing. The problem is that BA ramped up the flight schedule way quicker than the increase in staff and that they had an increased absence (due to Covid) currently c.7% vs. historical 4% - 5%.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
I assume you aren't suggesting Tobias-UK is only willing to argue for BA? As far as I can see he hasn't actually shared his personal opinion on the issue. Or are you probing to see if he can represent you for your own claim?

From a professional point of view I think it would be interesting to argue for either side in this.
I was not thinking Tobias was only willing to argue for BA. While Tobias has not shared an opinion I suspect that Tobias feels BAs position is quite weak. You would seem to share that opinion as you are chasing them for money despite their 'no'.

if lawyers get paid the same if they win or lose then I can understand people being willing to fight either argument.

winning an unwinnable case would come with huge prestige
Losing an unwinnable case I guess nothing is lost
Old May 11, 2022, 8:55 am

I think there's a case to be made that BA and other airlines have systematically tried to undermine all legislation concerning compensation for as long as it has existed. There's a long history of spurious justifications offered up by airlines to deny compensation, one that precedes Covid by several years. This should be taken into consideration when evaluating the legitimacy of their Covid arguments. After all you're dealing with a 'repeat offender' so to speak.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Their claim of 'extraordinary circumstance' is not 'covid' in isolation but the culmination of a series of events and circumstances that, when viewed as a whole, create an extraordinary circumstance.

It's not sufficient to simply say 'it's covid'; an airline has a much higher standard of proof to meet.
The article headline says

British Airways blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 – and refuses to pay compensation

Old May 11, 2022, 9:08 am

The article headline says

British Airways blames flight cancellations on Covid-19 – and refuses to pay compensation
Yes it does, but that's not BA's headline. Of course the root cause is covid, and it would be disingenuous for anyone to suggest that covid has not played a part in the cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.