Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by flatlander
The Crossrail train carriage I was in did not have this seating style. It had seats along the wall only, similar to the current H&C Tube train. The one you show looks a lot better for a longer journey.
i guess you had
https://images.app.goo.gl/cGwUQJV28gcqYihV7

i have been sat on this from hayes to Reading and it is fine.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:40 am

The front and rear carriages contain only longitudinal seating, along with one more on the 9-car units. The other carriages contain a mix of longitudinal and transverse seating. It’s entirely deliberate that the end carriages are designed that way, as terminal stations (Paddington HL and Liverpool St HL, which will both continue to be used for some services even after the core is open) tend to see people crowding at the front for faster egress.

The trains are designed so that at the busiest times and in the busiest (central) sections there is lots of space to cram people on, which is deemed ok as journeys are short enough not to need to sit, but those travelling to or from the outer reaches should be able to sit at some point in their journey. It’s expected that everyone boarding at Heathrow who wants one would have a seat, for example.
ENTP likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by danmushman
Wait the train was full on a Saturday? I know the Picc line was OOS but that doesn't bode well if correct!
No, the train was not nearly full, I just had a carriage with very few seats. As explained above, there's more seating in some other coaches, and perhaps a more people were sat on them. I saw no-one standing in the train I was using, around midday on the Saturday.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
No, the train was not nearly full, I just had a carriage with very few seats. As explained above, there's more seating in some other coaches, and perhaps a more people were sat on them. I saw no-one standing in the train I was using, around midday on the Saturday.
Thank you, it wasn't clear as it sounded like you couldn't find a seat. I know the layout of the trains and if it was full on a Saturday it wouldn't bode well for weekday commuting! I think as mentioned above, the central part of the line will be busy, especially whilst they're not running trains at full frequency, but from the extremities of the lines e.g. Heathrow I'd hope it would be much less busy. Anyways I look forward to my first experience, glad you enjoyed your trip!
Old May 16, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by danmushman
I know the layout of the trains and if it was full on a Saturday it wouldn't bode well for weekday commuting!
Many (if not most) suburban routes into London are far busier at weekends now than during the traditional weekday peak. GWR are reducing all their 12-coach commuter runs to 8 at the next timetable change as they’re just not needed any more. I expect Crossrail will be similar, with the possible exception of the Canary Wharf roadies.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
probably accurate if you're comparing Mondays and Fridays, but not Tuesday through to Thursdays. At least not on the southern part of Thameslink
Old May 18, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
A few realisations:

Just seen the timetable ; it starts around 06:30 across central london ; not great for early flights

They really have taken the sexiness out if this project with slow suburban type service outside the central section

The best connection for LCY seems to be to go to Woolwich then back via woolwich arsenal to LCY
Markie likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by allturnleft
A few realisations:

Just seen the timetable ; it starts around 06:30 across central london ; not great for early flights

They really have taken the sexiness out if this project with slow suburban type service outside the central section

The best connection for LCY seems to be to go to Woolwich then back via woolwich arsenal to LCY
Do you mean connecting to LCY from LHR? Personally i would get off the EL at Liverpool St / Moorgate, one stop on the northern line to Bank and DLR from there.....
Old May 18, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
Do you mean connecting to LCY from LHR? Personally i would get off the EL at Liverpool St / Moorgate, one stop on the northern line to Bank and DLR from there.....
why not at Canary Wharf?
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
And I'd get off at Canary wharf and walk to poplar DLR Citymapper should know soon though
Old May 18, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by SKRan
why not at Canary Wharf?
Ah yes - forgot about that - even better.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
A few realisations:

The passenger timetable starts at 0630 at the moment but trains actually start running from around 0540. The aim is for this short period early in the day to make sure all the trains are in place and running reliably. From September these earlier trains will be added to the passenger timetable. You can see the times using a detailed search on Realtime Trains.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by alex67500
And I'd get off at Canary wharf and walk to poplar DLR Citymapper should know soon though
An intersting competiotion to see which is quicker

The appeal of woolwich is fewer stops but both options involve a short walk
Woolwich 2mins
Canary wharf 9 mins
SKRan and alex67500 like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
A longer step free route may also be preferable to a quicker one with steps? Especially if you have lots of luggage.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
Canary Wharf to Poplar will be step free, and probably a similar distance as the EL platforms to the Northern Line platforms at LSt/Moorgate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.