Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 12:27 am

I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned the “Elizabeth Line” line, naming convention that’s had everyone on Twitter complaining that TfL aren’t adhering to their own style guidelines. It’s worse than the “Battersea Power Station” station one!
Old May 6, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: QF
Until through running starts probably wont be that appealing (unless travelling to/from west london). To get to the west end or somewhere like Kings X, the Piccadilly line will probably only be around 10mins slower (if that)
Old May 6, 2022, 12:50 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned the “Elizabeth Line” line, naming convention that’s had everyone on Twitter complaining that TfL aren’t adhering to their own style guidelines. It’s worse than the “Battersea Power Station” station one!
They have! Earlier in the thread
Dave_C and Truthmonkey like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Using national rail from T5 to Paddington costs £11.50 peak and £10.80 off peak, this is still considerably more expensive than the cost of this journey by London Underground. Once the new line officially goes to Heathrow will the prices come into line with standard underground fares (£5.50 peak and £3.50 off peak)?
Old May 6, 2022, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Using national rail from T5 to Paddington costs £11.50 peak and £10.80 off peak, this is still considerably more expensive than the cost of this journey by London Underground. Once the new line officially goes to Heathrow will the prices come into line with standard underground fares (£5.50 peak and £3.50 off peak)?
no, I don’t believe so. The fare will remain at the TfL rail level for trips to/from LHR.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am excited for Crossrail - it’s a huge step up for London transport. However it’s not going to make a big difference to my LHR journeys. My local station is Lambeth North so Bakerloo + HEX is still going to be quickest and most frequent. However the reduction in passenger numbers on the Bakerloo escalators at Paddington will be AWESOME!
dnajockey and JustTheOne like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
[quote=KeaneJohn;34225212]
Originally Posted by danmushman
I'm going to patiently wait for the time I can get from Farringdon to Heathrow without changing - I think that's due in 2023? Then I'll be two trains, one change, away from Heathrow. ?
/QUOTE]

Citymapper that are over generous in their connections are saying it takes 2 mins step free from one train to another at Paddington. Maybe check it out before ?
Earlier today I watched the latest video from Geoff Marshall (another poster linked him the post after yours). Unfortunately looks like the platforms connecting at Paddington and Liverpool St aren't close - connection at Paddington 4-8 minutes walk for example - with luggage not great!
See from 1min45 below:

MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=danmushman;34226982]
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Earlier today I watched the latest video from Geoff Marshall
Hadn't seen this guy before but seems good!
Old May 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by hungry
Also if you want to go from say Acton MainLine to Stratford you have to change twice, at Paddington and Liverpool Street. Just as you currently do, except instead of taking the met line from Paddington to Liverpool St you take the new tunnel line, probably saving a few minutes. I am not particularly excited about the opening
Wouldn’t you just walk a tiny distance to North Acton and do it non-stop?
Old May 7, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hungry
I still preferred Heathrow Connect trains, had tables and toilets available. These new crossrail trains are not well suited for longer journeys.

The opening of crossrail has clearly been rushed for the jubilee weekend. Opening a brand new railway only 6 days a week is embarrassing.
Rushed?! It’s 3-4 years behind schedule!
jokerjokerj and AirbusA350 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
I imagine it would be quite straightforward given the number of escalators and lifts. The Elizabeth Line station was built adjacent to Platform 1, so not too far to walk once at surface level.
The TfL Rail Heathrow services (to be renamed Elizabeth line on May 24th) currently arrive at high-numbered platforms (11 & 12) at Paddington, on the opposite side of the station to the new deep-level Elizabeth line platforms unfortunately! Platform 11 isn't too bad but if you're unlucky and get platform 12 it's a bit of a pain at it spits you out on the far side and you have to walk all the way around.
EvilDoctorK and TedToToe like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The service takes around 10 minutes longer than the HEX. It makes several stops between paddington and lhr. It is also significantly cheaper, in my worth well worth the 10 minutes longer.
Here's the current timetable: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-rail-west-march-2022.pdf

It's a 28 minute journey time to Terminals 2&3, compared to 15 minutes on the Heathrow Express. Also, be aware that only 2 out of the 4 hourly services currently continue to Terminal 5 - but of course, it's a free same-platform transfer to the Heathrow Express if you need Terminal 5.

And if you really want to save money, get off at Hayes & Harlington station and take one of the many scenic bus routes into Terminal 2&3. They depart every few minutes directly outside the station and the journey doesn't take long! The Hayes & Harlington fare is much cheaper than the Heathrow fare.
finchy168 and jonr405 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Unfortunately looks like the platforms connecting at Paddington and Liverpool St aren't close - connection at Paddington 4-8 minutes walk for example - with luggage not great!
All Elizabeth line stations will have step-free access to platforms (ie lifts), so it should be a long-ish but easy journey from the main Paddington rail platforms down to the Lizzy line with luggage. Unlike the existing Circle / District / H&C line platforms at Paddington which are horrendous with luggage!

Last edited by Reason077; May 7, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Old May 7, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by danmushman
I'm going to patiently wait for the time I can get from Farringdon to Heathrow without changing - I think that's due in 2023?
Still supposed to happen later this year. 2023 will be the "full service" timetable with 24 trains per hour through the core section.
danmushman likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
It’s also worth remembering that Londoners 62 or over can get to LHR free.
Glitch33 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.