Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Old May 4, 22, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet

So finally Crossrail is to ( sort of ) open from May 24th

Will this include service to Heathrow at this stage ( or is it only East of Paddington that's opening at first ) ? ... What are the implications for Heathrow Express / Heathrow Connect trains ?
Old May 4, 22, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Gold
The delayed and over-budget Crossrail project will finally open this month, Transport for London (TfL) has said. The Abbey Wood to Paddington section will open to passengers on 24 May, although initially trains will not run on Sundays or call at Bond Street.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61095510

Looks like the Heathrow part won't yet be open. it'll be open by May 2023 by the sounds of it as the full service will be running, but nothing around when it will start.
Old May 4, 22, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That bit is (quietly) already running, unofficially. So LHR T5 to Paddington, every 20 minutes at the moment, calling all stops under the TfL Rail, with a few more options if changing at LHR Central. Unfortunately we still need to wait until the "autumn" until the through service to Tottenham Court Road and beyond starts working beyond Paddington.
Old May 4, 22, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
From what I've been able to understand the initial service will be Abbey Wood to Paddington. It has been announced that the Heathrow service will start by May 2023 at the latest (if you believe that of course). I believe that the other routes are slated for later this year.
Old May 4, 22, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK View Post
So finally Crossrail is to ( sort of ) open from May 24th

Will this include service to Heathrow at this stage ( or is it only East of Paddington that's opening at first ) ? ... What are the implications for Heathrow Express / Heathrow Connect trains ?
Here's a link to the story. I believe, in this first phase, the services from the East of Paddington will terminate at the below surface Elizabeth line station. Meanwhile, the TfL Rail (fka Heathrow Connect) will continue, as now, from the mainline station.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61095510
Old May 4, 22, 7:33 am

Programs: BA blue, Emirates blue
On the BBC news today it said that there would be no Sunday services to allow further testing.
Old May 4, 22, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC
How difficult is the Elizabeth->TfL Rail transfer at Paddington? I think next time we're in a 90 minute cab ride from T5 to Farringdon-ish I'll pitch taking the train to Mrs Psycho.
Old May 4, 22, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
How difficult is the Elizabeth->TfL Rail transfer at Paddington? I think next time we're in a 90 minute cab ride from T5 to Farringdon-ish I'll pitch taking the train to Mrs Psycho.
I imagine it would be quite straightforward given the number of escalators and lifts. The Elizabeth Line station was built adjacent to Platform 1, so not too far to walk once at surface level.
Old May 4, 22, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Escalator (or 2) up and find a platform. It will certainly be better than taxi.
Old May 4, 22, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Basically, on 24 May nothing changes as far as LHR is concerned, except for a rebranding. The existing TfL Rail service will continue to run into Paddington as it does now, but now called the Elizabeth Line.

Anyone wishing to start from/continue to stations in the new tunnel and beyond will, until later this year, have to change at Paddington (and also Liverpool Street for stations on the existing line to Shenfield).

LHR trains will continue to run on Sundays. It’s only the new section between Paddington and Abbey Wood that won’t, initially at least.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 4, 22, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
there is a good article in the thread in the Uk destination forum

Crossrail aka Elizabeth line to open Tuesday 24th May 2022 - FlyerTalk Forums

Perhaps the mods can merge these threads?

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 4, 22 at 8:10 am
Old May 4, 22, 8:22 am

Programs: Silver, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Crossrail at the moment operates 2 separate lines, Reading and Heathrow to Paddington and Shenfield to Liverpool Street (branded as Tfl), a third linking the 2 from Abbeywood to Paddington will start on the 24th May. They have to integrate the 3 different signalling systems to allow the Crossrail line to run as one line to allow the trains to run from say Shenfield to Heathrow hence why it won't be fully operational until next year sometime
Old May 4, 22, 8:37 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Is this going to make the HEX and its ridiculous high fares obsolete ? I presume you'll be able to use an Oyster card on the new service and maybe it will take a few mins more given the extra stops but no doubt for far less cash ?
Old May 4, 22, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
Is this going to make the HEX and its ridiculous high fares obsolete ? I presume you'll be able to use an Oyster card on the new service and maybe it will take a few mins more given the extra stops but no doubt for far less cash ?
you can already use oyster/contactless on the tfl rail which is now being rebranded

it is significantly cheaper than HEX , takes about 25 minutes instead of 15 minutes

currently to T2/T3 the frquency is every 15 minutes Mon thru saturday, every 30 minutes on a Sunday and I believe every 30 minutes to T5 through the week
Old May 4, 22, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Here is Geoff Marshall’s map which shows the route. Interchange at Paddington/Liverpool Street until the through trains operate is needed but it will be step free and easy and of course cheaper.

Search this Thread