Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
When flying LH I make an effort to chat with the crew upon boarding, ensure I'm polite at all times, and thank them when disembarking. I don't really "get" the whole thinking you're entitled thing though. I'd be in the "no" camp for gifts though.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:55 am

My friend is current BA crew and based on conversations with her I always bring a small gift of the 3 for £10 type from W H Smith's.

I never expect anything in return, and I'm normally sat at the front, so I'm clearly not expecting an upgrade or any other favours. I do explain that I know crew as the reason why.

They're always appreciated.

Don't be afraid to do something nice.
miles4CDG and Outbound24 like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Don't be afraid to do something nice” at the end of the flight. 😀
Old May 1, 2022, 4:05 am

I’d be scared if I brought something that they’d assume I was trying to bribe them to get a better seat or service than I was entitled to, which is really not ‘me’. But if I’ve had a nice flight and they’ve looked after me well, I do make a point of giving a genuine and heartfelt thank you towards the end, which most at least appear to appreciate. If anyone goes above and beyond then I’ll mention it to the SCCM or fill in an online ‘thank you’ (or both).
Can I help you and u01sss3 like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Please do excuse me if I've ever offended you with my generosity.

Can't please everyone and I'm happy knowing that 😉.

​​​​
​​​​
Old May 1, 2022, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mks6
Please do excuse me if I've ever offended you with my generosity.

Can't please everyone and I'm happy knowing that 😉.

​​​​
​​​​
I am not offended by anyone’s generosity, I just think it’s more appropriate to do this at the end of the flight.
SKT-DK, IAMORGAN, POG and 3 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I realise that some frequent flyers and aviation enthusiasts like to think that they have a special relationship with the people taking care of them on a flight, but I'm in the "this is a bit creepy" camp on giving them gifts. And it's only a small step from there to tipping, which is already a scourge at ground level.

A smile and polite "thank you" to the cabin crew is really all that is necessary.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
= leave quickly, quietly, maybe with smile and a thank you. Dodge the sack filling up with boxes of chocolate.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:02 am

Some very good points KeaneJohn, genuine thanks such as yours at the end of the flight would generally be appreciated.
Originally Posted by MFCC
In seriousness, whilst the gesture I’m sure comes from a good place; in some cases it can come across almost as a ‘bribe’ to receive the best service, for which there’s no need.
As mentioned by others, a simple thanks is enough.
Out of interest would you do if say at the end of a flight a passenger upon disembarking gave you a thank you card that you later found contained a gift card or money?
Old May 1, 2022, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Out of interest would you do if say at the end of a flight a passenger upon disembarking gave you a thank you card that you later found contained a gift card or money?
Put it in the Flying Start donation bag.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Don't over analyze. It's a nice gesture and appreciated.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:13 am

Put it in the Flying Start donation bag.
Would you still have to report it centrally to BA?
Old May 1, 2022, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Just my own view but where I've received excellent service I always note the name (s) of the BA member(s) of staff and submit a ba.com/welldone which I think is worthwhile.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Don't over analyze. It's a nice gesture and appreciated.
Sadly some companies and organizations have strict rules on this stuff as it construes as bribery and corruption. Supposing this was a politician that had accepted it from a member of their constituency due to hard work and going above and beyond? Tipping and gratuities have not been a traditional practice in the UK but industries like hospitality are more accepting.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Many years ago my father was a passenger on a BEA Viscount. On disembarkation, the pilot emerged from the flight deck and an old lady in front of my father pressed half a crown into the pilot's hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.