Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I've triggered Silver (A couple of questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've triggered Silver (A couple of questions)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
I got my Congratulations email, earlier today. Strangely it's still saying I have to pay for seat selection for upcoming flight?
Can you clear your cookies / sign in through a different browser / try through the app / check your BAEC is added to your booking (I had a few that it seemed to drop off)....
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I also recently made it to Silver.

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

On the above link, it says one can receive an extra 15kg of luggage in addition to the Economy allowance.

What if one is travelling in Business/First? Is it still +15kg or +32kg?

thanks
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Paren
I also recently made it to Silver.

On the above link, it says one can receive an extra 15kg of luggage in addition to the Economy allowance.

thanks
If travelling on BA Business, you will still only be permitted max 2 x 32kg on BA for OWS/BA Silver. So nothing “extra per se” in this case.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
If travelling on BA Business, you will still only be permitted max 2 x 32kg on BA for OWS/BA Silver. So nothing “extra per se” in this case.
Thanks, so the extra 15kg bag applies if travelling in Y, right?

What about other oneworld Alliance airlines?

E.g. if I fly J or F with QR, do I get an extra bag, or again, is it only in Y?

thanks
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

Thanks, so the extra 15kg bag applies if travelling in Y, right?

What about other oneworld Alliance airlines?

E.g. if I fly J or F with QR, do I get an extra bag, or again, is it only in Y?
An extra x kg allowance will only apply to airlines using the weight system for baggage allowances. As AirbusA350 says, BA uses piece count, so that line is irrelevant to flying on BA.

The page you linked to is also clear that if you are flying on a piece count airline on certain itineraries, you basically have an extra bag if your ticketed allowance is one bag.

If you're flying on another airline, you need to check that airline's baggage policies to see what additional allowances you may get as a Sapphire.
Paren and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:07 pm

4. Whilst I haven't tried this myself, you can try seeing if you can open the booking through RJ, MH or RAM's websites and see if it will allow you to change it there
This is only for Amadeus airlines. AA uses Sabre as their PSS, so it definitely won’t work here.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Just to note, you may or may not receive an email. Just keep an eye on BA app or ba.com account and once everything’s turned silver (literally including the page colour in your account), that’s when it’s all been activated and you’re free to use all features.

I’m sure you know this but do remember that you both will be eligible to use all the features across all OW airlines and also any non-BA hand baggage only fare will entitle you to at least 1 checked bag also. Safe travels, I genuinely
think BA Silver is a sweet spot in BAEC. Enjoy it!
It also triggers the great unpublicised benefit of theoretical seating, aka the blocked middle seat in economy. Not guaranteed and you aren't first in the queue as a Silver, but I've come to value space over anything else once on board. Always lovely to be on a full flight from Munich on a Friday afternoon with the only empty seat being next to you.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
It also triggers the great unpublicised benefit of theoretical seating, aka the blocked middle seat in economy. Not guaranteed and you aren't first in the queue as a Silver, but I've come to value space over anything else once on board. Always lovely to be on a full flight from Munich on a Friday afternoon with the only empty seat being next to you.
OK this is totally news to me.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:53 pm

Absolutely, if on a status-light route/flight you can do very well out of this. More than once I’ve been astonished to discover that on a flight with only two empty seats, one is next to me (and in an exit row as well). I certainly don’t expect it as a Silver with the lowest possible CIV for that tier, but it’s always very welcome.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Can you clear your cookies / sign in through a different browser / try through the app / check your BAEC is added to your booking (I had a few that it seemed to drop off)....
I've tried all of the above, still the same, all future flights, the option to select seats are a pay option.

It's a bit of a head scratcher
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
I've tried all of the above, still the same, all future flights, the option to select seats are a pay option.

It took until the next day for my silver benefits to actually kick in, despite it saying I was silver on the website. Maybe there's some sort of overnight update that has to occur?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
Had this a few weeks ago on a completely full LHR-GOT where I was sat at the window and my OH in the aisle in Y - only free seat on board was between us. I never book Y expecting this so it's always great when it happens.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

Probably you could remove the BA Exec number from the booking and reapply it. Probably best to call. Sometimes existing bookings not getting updated hence the issue.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver

I’m sure you know this but do remember that you both will be eligible to use all the features across all OW airlines and also any non-BA hand baggage only fare will entitle you to at least 1 checked bag also. Safe travels, I genuinely
think BA Silver is a sweet spot in BAEC. Enjoy it!
Am I correct in believing that this does not apply to BA HBO fares?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by blurt91
Am I correct in believing that this does not apply to BA HBO fares?
On an hbo fare you get no luggage benefit

You do get all your other benefits, free seat selection, business check in, fast track, lounge...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.