Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I've triggered Silver (A couple of questions)

Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry

Now that my tier points are added, I'm now Silver

I have a couple of questions.

1. Future reservations, May, June, Aug (already booked), should I be able to pre book seats now? (I assumed yes, but I'm still getting the option to pay for seats?)
2. My wife travels a lot domesticlly GLA-LHR, just on the cheapest economy option (Luggage isn't an issue), will she get Lounge access (she's silver now as well)
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Now that my tier points are added, I'm

With tier points added, I'm now Silver....

1. Future reservations, May, June, Aug (already booked), should I be able to pre book seats now? (I assumed yes, but I'm still getting the option to pay for seats?)
2. My wife travels a lot domesticlly GLA-LHR, just on the cheapest economy option (Luggage isn't an issue), will she get Lounge access (she's silver now as well)
For point 1, once it updates and shows in the app you should be able to get the free reservation.

Point 2, yes she will get fast track security, lounge access and group 2 boarding.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Now that my tier points are added, I'm now Silver

So I recently made Silver. It took around 24-48 hours from Silver showing in my account to my seat selection to allow me to choose seats for free. Look out for an email 'Mr/Mrs Thrifty Scotsman', congratulations and welcome to Silver. At that point, you will 100% have free seat selection. As for your second question, she will get lounge access being silver.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks all
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
So I recently made Silver. It took around 24-48 hours from Silver showing in my account to my seat selection to allow me to choose seats for free. Look out for an email 'Mr/Mrs Thrifty Scotsman', congratulations and welcome to Silver. At that point, you will 100% have free seat selection. As for your second question, she will get lounge access being silver.
+1, takes 24-48 hours
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:09 am

Just to note, you may or may not receive an email. Just keep an eye on BA app or ba.com account and once everythings turned silver (literally including the page colour in your account), thats when its all been activated and youre free to use all features.

Im sure you know this but do remember that you both will be eligible to use all the features across all OW airlines and also any non-BA hand baggage only fare will entitle you to at least 1 checked bag also. Safe travels, I genuinely
think BA Silver is a sweet spot in BAEC. Enjoy it!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Just to note, you may or may not receive an email. Just keep an eye on BA app or ba.com account and once everythings turned silver (literally including the page colour in your account), thats when its all been activated and youre free to use all features.

Im sure you know this but do remember that you both will be eligible to use all the features across all OW airlines and also any non-BA hand baggage only fare will entitle you to at least 1 checked bag also. Safe travels, I genuinely
Second this about Silver being a sweet spot. I would suggest by means of celebrating taking a weekend break from GLA to a T3 destination with a 2/3 hour stopover. This means you can have the delights of some Martinis in the CX Lounge with some Dan Dan Noodles. If you wish afterwards it's a short hop to the QF Lounge for some squid and gin.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:22 am

Having also just made Silver, I didn't know this about a checked bag on a non-BA hand baggage only fare. How does one go about this? I will be travelling from JFK-IND soon on AA in Y and have yet to book a flight but assumed I would have to pay the fee for a checked bag. How do I get the free checked bag? TIA
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by allycat53
Having also just made Silver, I didn't know this about a checked bag on a non-BA hand baggage only fare. How does one go about this? I will be travelling from JFK-IND soon on AA in Y and have yet to book a flight but assumed I would have to pay the fee for a checked bag. How do I get the free checked bag? TIA
It's a OW benefit so you should automatically receive it if you add your BAEC number to the booking.
allycat53 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:42 am

As @abraxias has already said, just ensure your BAEC number is present within the booking and you'll have nothing to worry about. With AA specifically, you will be permitted 2 x 23kg checked baggage allowance on a domestic HBO economy fare

Just note that it might still show up on Manage My Booking that you don't have any checked baggage allowance, however, ignore this and you will certainly be provided it at check-in at airport. Having said that AA is pretty good at coding in status benefits to reflect the allowance during online check-in.
allycat53 likes this.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Apr 26, 2022 at 7:52 am
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by abraxias
It's a OW benefit so you should automatically receive it if you add your BAEC number to the booking.
As @abraxias has already said, just ensure your BAEC number is present within the booking and you'll have nothing to worry about. With AA specifically, you will be permitted 2 x 23kg checked baggage allowance on a domestic HBO economy fare

Just note that it might still show up on Manage My Booking that you don't have any checked baggage allowance, however, ignore this and you will certainly be provided it at check-in at airport. Having said that AA is pretty good at coding in status benefits to reflect the allowance during online check-in.
Sorry to be a PITA, but if booking from the AA website, I already have an AAdvantage account and I would logically login with that account before making a booking as it has all my details saved. A dummy booking takes me all the way through to payment with no option to change my preferrred loyalty number to BAEC. Can I change that later through Manage My Booking (or the AA equivalent) or do I need to make a booking without logging into my AAdvantage account so I can add the BAEC number somewhere? I don't think I can book domestic US flights from ba.com, can I? Also should I get free seat selections a a Silver / OW Sapphire? Thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:35 am

Sorry to be a PITA, but if booking from the AA website, I already have an AAdvantage account and I would logically login with that account before making a booking as it has all my details saved. A dummy booking takes me all the way through to payment with no option to change my preferrred loyalty number to BAEC. Can I change that later through Manage My Booking (or the AA equivalent) or do I need to make a booking without logging into my AAdvantage account so I can add the BAEC number somewhere? I don't think I can book domestic US flights from ba.com, can I? Also should I get free seat selections a a Silver / OW Sapphire? Thank you.
Well your options are:
1. Book on aa.com without logging in, this will enable you to input your BAEC number during the booking process itself - this is what you would do, logically, if you wanted to have a BAEC number within the booking. The extra few minutes to fill in your details manually will save you extra work later on in the process and avoid needing to try one of the options below
2. If you've already made a booking whilst logged in on AA, then you can tweet AA, they are pretty good and they will help you get this change
3. Call AA and get it changed
4. Whilst I haven't tried this myself, you can try seeing if you can open the booking through RJ, MH or RAM's websites and see if it will allow you to change it there

All in all, you've nothing to worry. The easiest would be to go for option 1 right from the outset. And no you can't book solely US domestic flights on ba.com
allycat53 and abraxias like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Ref: free seats selections. Whilst I book all my travel through BA, if it is on a partner airline then you seamlessly get transferred and don't have to pay. I suspect there must be some backend database that confirms your OW status regardless of what each individual airline calls it, so this shouldn't be an issue. So even if you book on AA direct, they'll still be able to check your BAEC number and confirm what perks you get.
allycat53 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
If you find there is a delay in your account reflecting your silver status, log out and then log in again...that sorted it for me in February.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

I got my Congratulations email, earlier today. Strangely it's still saying I have to pay for seat selection for upcoming flight?

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.