Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorowilson
Interesting that you got the 140 Tier points! Thanks for the reply.
I've just checked the BA Avios calculator and it now shows 80TPs for that route on RJ - it was definitely showing 140TPs on the calculator when I flew late last year so they must have changed it recently...
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I saw that fare but I thought the return was via Stockholm, meaning a horrid BA Club Europe end to my trip! I’ll check again.
Finnair short haul business is worse than Club Europe. If you can get the A350/A330 on both Finnair legs for LHR-HEL and HEL-LHR then maybe it’s better but otherwise BA CE is the same as Finnair business but with better food. Occasionally BA has used the 788 on ARN too.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Hello,
Please can you advise me. I want to fly LHR-BKK return in November, in business class. I need a OneWorld carrier as I’ve decided to hang onto my BAEC Gold status. My options are limited. I had intended using Qatar but the World Cup has sent fares sky high. Finnair’s only cheap fare is via Stockholm, meaning a cramped BA Club Europe connection to London, rather than a flat bed. LHR-HEL-BKK is now c£2500+ for decent times - not good value for a rather utilitarian carrier. And this winter there’s no BA- hardly inspiring, but still a modest TP earning option.
This brings me to Royal Jordanian. It has obvious disadvantages, being only a 3 star airline, but it’s cheap, looks reasonably ok on video reviews and, more importantly, earns good Tier Points. I notice the LHR-AMM-BKK route earns 140 + 140 Tier Points each way although BA values LHR-AMM at only 80 TP. This is my point. Can you tell me please? When I try to transfer the tier points to BA, will they give me only 80 for the LHR- AMM leg or will I get 140 because I earned them on a RJ aircraft and on a RJ ticket? Also, are there any major disadvantages in using this airline? I know times have to be coordinated carefully as there are not many flights and that they’re mean with Avios. This fare’s below £1700 on Skyscanner. It’s cheap but am I being a fool? I feel everything’s poor value at the moment so perhaps it’s time to take a punt on a cheapo!
I’d really appreciate your views please. Should I go for Finnair instead! Or any other airline you suggest? Or should I take a totally different strategy and ignore TPS and fly with someone like SQ, ( although it’s Star Alliance) as it’s currently offering a terrific deal and do some separate day trips like LHR-HEL for my tier points instead? It smacks of desperation, I know, but it all depends on how poor the other options are.
Please do comment. Thanks so much.
Take the terrific deal with SQ. Way better than the other carriers you’ve mentioned and if the price is right…
justin_krusty and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danmushman
How fixed are your dates/times? Quick search I can find AY return flights LHR-HEL-BKK £1731. Business Light (as long as you're happy with using OW status for luggage and lounge access).
I was looking at AY for LHR-HEL-BKK Biz light fare. I assumed my OW status (I'll be BA silver by the time I travel) would grant lounge access, but does status give check in luggage and seat selection?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I was looking at AY for LHR-HEL-BKK Biz light fare. I assumed my OW status (I'll be BA silver by the time I travel) would grant lounge access, but does status give check in luggage and seat selection?
Yes - I've just booked an AY business light fare and status benefits still apply. Lounge access, seat selection, luggage etc are all provided.

When you book your ticket and enter your BAEC number it does not show up in the confirmation that you have lounge/baggage allowances - but in the small print it notes that if you have status then you will be granted the status privileges for your level. And when going into MMB you will be able to select your seats for free.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have done this a few times, turning a trip to HK into a v cheap TP run. RJ is actually quite fun. The hard product is plenty good enough and there is something about the service which is both professional but quite relaxed. I would not hesitate, esp at the fares they charge.

Also maybe think about a 23 hr stopover in Amman (no extra cost on the ticket. Its an interesting bonus if you have a day to spare.
nancypants and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
Finnair short haul business is worse than Club Europe. If you can get the A350/A330 on both Finnair legs for LHR-HEL and HEL-LHR then maybe it’s better but otherwise BA CE is the same as Finnair business but with better food. Occasionally BA has used the 788 on ARN too.
Thanks for reply. BA’s Club Europe is ok ( just) for an independent short flight but when you’re tired and have been flying for many hours in genuine business class with a flat bed and all the attendant space, it would be a real downer to spend the last couple of hours in a cramped A320 neo with those horrid thin seats and no leg room.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Take the terrific deal with SQ. Way better than the other carriers you’ve mentioned and if the price is right…
Yes, I like SQ very much. I agree they’re in a different class from the One World carriers I mentioned I’m but I don’t get my Tier points and doing separate Tier Point runs seems excessive. LHR is my home airport and I’m using T5 quite a bit at the moment so Gold status is useful for access to the First lounge, which I actually quite like although it’s not a patch on EK’s First Lounge in Dubai or the CX Pier in Hong Kong.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I have flown RJ on their 787s a few times between LHR and BKK/HKG with a layover in AMM. Personally I really enjoyed the RJ service. QR is definitely better, but the RJ experience didn’t disappoint.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Think I would bin BA and try Swiss for £1505

PS: what is the SQ deal that is being mentioned. Can't see anything special on GF.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saligo
Yes - I've just booked an AY business light fare and status benefits still apply. Lounge access, seat selection, luggage etc are all provided.

When you book your ticket and enter your BAEC number it does not show up in the confirmation that you have lounge/baggage allowances - but in the small print it notes that if you have status then you will be granted the status privileges for your level. And when going into MMB you will be able to select your seats for free.
Yes, I know your BAEC status carries over into OneWord so you get the perks you’re entitled to irrespective of your class of travel. Did you book direct with the airline online or did you use one of those online sellers listed on Skyscanner? . I generally use the carrier’s website to book but often you pay more but I like a solid point of contact in case I need to make a change. Finnair gets quite good reviews but it looks terribly plain and pared to the bone to me. Also, none of the seats have much storage compared to the big window storage bins on the A380s which I miss badly.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think considering the Skytrax rating is unwise. RJ are a good solid airline - not QR or SQ but plenty decent. If solo I would have a marginal preference for AY to avoid the horror of a seat mate, if in a pair RJ would be just fine.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:26 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Edit NA
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I think considering the Skytrax rating is unwise. RJ are a good solid airline - not QR or SQ but plenty decent. If solo I would have a marginal preference for AY to avoid the horror of a seat mate, if in a pair RJ would be just fine.
Perhaps you’re right.Skytrax just gives an idea. Alone I would not choose RJ’s seat configuration but there are two of us so it’s fine, as you say.. I still like single pods however but the problem with AY is that it connects with short haul and I’d dread a couple of hours in a cramped short haul cabin after a long flight home.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:46 pm

Yes, I know your BAEC status carries over into OneWord so you get the perks you’re entitled to irrespective of your class of travel.
I mention this since QR doesn't give you access to their main business lounge when you fly on light fares with status. And also since BA doesn't provide your status baggage allowance when flying on HBO fares. The AY light fares don't seem to have any restrictions if you hold OW status (or so it seems!).

Did you book direct with the airline online or did you use one of those online sellers listed on Skyscanner? . I generally use the carrier’s website to book but often you pay more but I like a solid point of contact in case I need to make a change.
I always book direct. The price direct with AY for my flight was maybe £20-30 more expensive compared to some of the OTAs - a price I'm happy to pay to avoid going through the hassle of a third party.

Finnair gets quite good reviews but it looks terribly plain and pared to the bone to me. Also, none of the seats have much storage compared to the big window storage bins on the A380s which I miss badly
Will be first time flying AY so don't have any feedback there unfortunately. The colour scheme does look very plain - although personally, as long as the seat lays flat, I'm usually happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.