Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
It's been a been a couple of years since I flew RJ, are they still doing the trolley service for food in business?

Based on my past experience RJ was fine, the lounge in AMM is ok but can grate after a few hours if you have long layover.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I think considering the Skytrax rating is unwise. RJ are a good solid airline - not QR or SQ but plenty decent. If solo I would have a marginal preference for AY to avoid the horror of a seat mate, if in a pair RJ would be just fine.
came here to say this- UL is another OW 3* airline according to skytrax, as is LA (ex OW). UL was one of the better airlines I’ve ever flown, end to end (although I concede that aspects for example the food were not that “western” and wonder if they lost points for that?), LA had a solid onboard product but poor ground handling. I’d rate them similar in service etc to BA, QF or AY who are all 4*. Thus, I would not put any weight at all on the skytrax rating
Swanhunter and Dorowilson like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:14 pm

Skytrax rates airlines who pay them. Reviews not worth the paper they’re printed on.

I really like AY, a solid well-run airline with a good quality product, particularly on the A350s. Even the A321s aren’t too bad to be honest, the pillows make it rather more comfortable than most. Connections at HEL are a dream.

That said, for the price saving being discussed here, I’d happily take RJ. Also look at adding on a MAN-LHR tag at the start… pre-covid this sometimes used to trigger savings over the LHR originating fare.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
With the issues currently impacting Sri Lanka, I would unfortunately have to question the operational stability of UL at least in the short to medium term...
James91 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I have done this a few times, turning a trip to HK into a v cheap TP run. RJ is actually quite fun. The hard product is plenty good enough and there is something about the service which is both professional but quite relaxed. I would not hesitate, esp at the fares they charge.

Also maybe think about a 23 hr stopover in Amman (no extra cost on the ticket. Its an interesting bonus if you have a day to spare.
Have flown RJ many times not on this specific route, but in long haul business and agree with this assessment. The stopover in AMM if they are still doing it was also great. We did a 12 hour tour that was arranged totally by the airline and was very well done, including lunch, tour of Amman, Madaba, and Mt Nebo. Movie selection is very limited and heavily censored.

Originally Posted by mrow
I have flown RJ on their 787s a few times between LHR and BKK/HKG with a layover in AMM. Personally I really enjoyed the RJ service. QR is definitely better, but the RJ experience didn’t disappoint.
Agree as well. It's not QR but the price isnt either.

Originally Posted by plunet
It's been a been a couple of years since I flew RJ, are they still doing the trolley service for food in business? My sister just flew business last week and they were doing the trolley service. Food is actually pretty good, with a lot of choice, and quantity. She's been flying the Polaris United long haul flights as well, and said that although she didnt love the 2-2 configuration of RJ, the seats are bigger and more comfortable than Polaris, so there are always pros and cons

Based on my past experience RJ was fine, the lounge in AMM is ok but can grate after a few hours if you have long layover.
Lounge is fine, and the airport is small and easy to connect in. Given their small route map, RJ doesnt like to strand passengers either and works to get their planes to the destination when it is in their control (not weather, etc). Not always the case on other airlines
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
If u don't mind flying ams-amm-bkk which still shows as 140+140 tp , the aircraft used on ams-amm is a320 or a319 though. Have flown rj to dxb a few times & prefer the prices & service over qr.
Dorowilson likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet
It's been a been a couple of years since I flew RJ, are they still doing the trolley service for food in business?
They were still doing the trolley service last time I flew a few months ago.
plunet likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
They are still doing trolley service as of yesterday and yes 80TP now for LHR-AMM to match BA. For a couple the seats are fine, very comfy to lounge about it and the service was excellent. The drinks selection limited but OK.
plunet likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Dorowilson
Hello,
Finnair’s only cheap fare is via Stockholm, meaning a cramped BA Club Europe connection to London, rather than a flat bed. LHR-HEL-BKK is now c£2500+ for decent times - not good value for a rather utilitarian carrier.
How utilitarian is Finnair? Last time I've flown on their A359, I was served nice meals, good drinks and greeted with a lot of personal touch. Very nice trip and very pleasant memory.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:32 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Originally Posted by SKRan
How utilitarian is Finnair? Last time I've flown on their A359, I was served nice meals, good drinks and greeted with a lot of personal touch. Very nice trip and very pleasant memory.
Finnair offer a solid business class product for a European carrier who maintained more of their inflight offering during Covid than BA they just don't offer all bells and whistle of the likes of Qatar.

Shorthaul they no longer offer a choice of main meal (which they justify based on environmental grounds) and dessert is usually a cookie but quality I would rate as better than BA (especially during Covid). Seating is standard European business class unless you travel on one of their long haul fleet which they use on selected shorthaul services.

The non Schengen business class lounge at Helsinki is a pleasant place to wait between flights, shower suites are a step up from what BA offer at Heathrow, food is a bit hit and miss, lounge lacks natural sunlight. The Schengen lounge if ok but gets very busy close to the grouped departure times which facilitate Finnair's hub business model. The Premium lounge for Emerald card holders is still closed due to Covid but when it is operational it is better than the First lounge at T5. Also if flying from Heathrow you get to use the Cathay Pacific lounges in terminal 3.

Helsinki connections are easy especially ex LHR as no need for security check in Helsinki. Even if a security check is required it is usually a quick process.

Their longhaul hard product is better than old club World with A350 seating on a par with Club Suite. They're upgrading their business cabins with a new seats which I haven't tried yet. The soft product is solid but not exceptional. Food generally OK but not class leading. They offer a few nice touches with their signature cocktails and glassware. Their amenity kits and bedding is average. I've always found their crew efficient and helpful.

Finnair are not up to the standards of Qatar, Cathay, Singapore etc but I would rate them higher than utilitarian. With relation the how they compare to RJ - Finnair seating longhaul fleet offers 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-2 and inflight entertainment in better. RJ catering is more old school, still using a trolley and plating meals in front of you to order rather than the modern reheating of a fixed meal on a plate. RJ catering is a nice touch for a change as it harks back to flying 25+ years ago. Not a big fan of the Crown lounge in Amman, when it's quiet it is a nice enough place to sit but food and drink is limited.
SKRan and Hotcat1970 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
I fly SIN-UK-SIN regularly, and recently it's all been on Finnair. I start/end in AMS typically, and business is around £1300 return on my last few. Downside is 40 TP only, HEL-AMS, and 140 TP SIN-HEL, clearly there is no GCH avois bonus.
Long haul 330 or 350 in and out of AMS available twice a day, and the 350 to SIN. I have flown the older business seat plenty (1-2-1), which is more than fine, and for my money much better than BA's ying-yang club world. It's been a long time since I flew AY's older 330's out of BKK, but even then that business seat was better than what BA have in old club world. I flew the new business product on AY last week, SIN-HEL-AMS (350 and 330) and it was very good. I like it better than the older seat, even though it doesn't recline- take a look on AY's website. I slept 9 hours on the way to HEL. Service to/from Asia is with Asian cabin crew, who are very good in my experience. Lounge in HEL is fine if a little uninspiring, but again, IMO as good as what BA have to offer outside the CCR, and one is certainly spared the bus station style toilets of LHR.

I have flown RJ previously several times to/from Asia, and the in flight product was good on their 787, although 2-2-2, and I would do it again, though the transit in AMM was several hours, and if starting in LHR only one the daily flights was on the 787 at the time, the other on a 320 (best I recall), which is okay, but better to get the 787.

and that's my 2 cents!
plunet and Dorowilson like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:51 am

Some people have said RJ is one of the strictest airlines about insisting window shades stay closed from takeoff almost to touchdown. This would cause me to choose another airline, because I enjoy seeing the scenery enroute.

For those of you who have flown RJ, how strict was their staff about allowing passengers to keep their shades open for at least part of the flight?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Some people have said RJ is one of the strictest airlines about insisting window shades stay closed from takeoff almost to touchdown. This would cause me to choose another airline, because I enjoy seeing the scenery enroute.

For those of you who have flown RJ, how strict was their staff about allowing passengers to keep their shades open for at least part of the flight?
Well on the 787 they dimmed the cabin yesterday quite early however you could over ride it and nothing was said.
JoeDTW likes this.

Last edited by CT-UK; Apr 14, 2022 at 7:32 am Reason: ..
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:03 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Have the slow posting of Avios and TPs been sorted out? Historically this was a problem when flying RJ
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I had a BKK-AMM leg cancelled on RJ almost 2 years ago and I've not been able to use those vouchers as they have not flown BKK-AMM for the whole of that period. I see they have loaded a schedule for October onwards, but I wouldn't call it a firm restart - be prepared for having to redo your plan if you choose RJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.