Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does T5 not have BAs logo on it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Why does T5 not have BAs logo on it?

(A bit of light content given the dire state BA is in)

Various airport terminals around the world have the principal carrier’s branding on the façade, or visible through it. Even at T3, where Virgin is not exactly massively dominant, their signage is emblazoned in a way that simply isn’t the case for BA at T5. Even JFK T7 has external BA branding so I wondered why they did it there but not at their home base?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
BA do have a lot of branding inside the terminal (above check-in Zones A and E, for example) and indeed at each entrance above the door (although this is not very visible).

There’s also the welcome roundabout at the end of the M25 spur which features the BA logo.

All of this branding comes at a significant cost, don’t forget. It’s Heathrow’s terminal, not BA’s - whatever they may like to think.
HIDDY and RJD1983 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No need...if you're there you're most likely to be flying BA anyway.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Genius1
BA do have a lot of branding inside the terminal (above check-in Zones A and E, for example) and indeed at each entrance above the door (although this is not very visible).

There’s also the welcome roundabout at the end of the M25 spur which features the BA logo.

All of this branding comes at a significant cost, don’t forget. It’s Heathrow’s terminal, not BA’s - whatever they may like to think.
it is indeed Heathrow’s terminal and a fact that they like to use against BA despite the terminal being built around BA requirements and specifications!!!!

Even trying to add signage to the terminal often generates lots of discussion with HAL. Even down to the screens over the desks, HAL tries to limit what can be displayed due to the way they have designed the screen which restricts the sizing of graphics. Looking at LGW shows how different the approach is where there are BA logos on desks and the BA area pretty much covered in branding.
skipness1E and 13901 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Genius1

I know there is a lot of branding inside - too much I would say - but given the glass curtain walls I am
wondering why they didn’t design in a large speedmarque at the outset, either hung within or fixed outside. Appreciate these things are expensive but in the scheme of a £B construction project it would have been a drop in the ocean.

Anyway, I think the question is answered by the fact it’s not BAs terminal. But that would also apply to T3 and Virgin got away with it.

Such an exercise being very far down the list of priorities for BA today

Last edited by choosethedrew; Apr 8, 2022 at 12:59 am
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
But that would also apply to T3 and Virgin got away with it.
Virgin stumped up the £. I'm sure BA would be able to have a large logo if they really wanted to pay for it, but as HIDDY says, most people in T5 are flying BA anyway (certainly pre-COVID).

The entrance to the Central Terminal Area operates under the same principle; BA used to pay for advertising here, but since T5 opened, Emirates do instead. T4 is another example, which until COVID had Etihad branding at the entrance.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:07 am

They probably had to decide between the door for the CCR or a BA Logo on the front of T5......

Wonder how much it costs for the Concorde still to be parked where it is. Sad that they haven't done anything with it.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
They probably had to decide between the door for the CCR or a BA Logo on the front of T5......

Wonder how much it costs for the Concorde still to be parked where it is. Sad that they haven't done anything with it.
You do know it’s still in use yes?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
never new they did not.. shows you much I pay attention to signage...
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
But that would also apply to T3 and Virgin got away with it.
I think Virgin just had enough sense to plonk a big illuminated sign by their check-in desks within the terminal - the external signage is minor and BA has the same at T3.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Wonder how much it costs for the Concorde still to be parked where it is.
Nothing much additional, because where Concorde is parked is BA leased land as part of the maintenance base.

Originally Posted by VictorSierra
I think Virgin just had enough sense to plonk a big illuminated sign by their check-in desks within the terminal - the external signage is minor and BA has the same at T3.
VS pay for the branding inside T3 above Zone A, in the same way that BA pay for the branding above T5 Zones A and E check-in, as an example.
Cw novice likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
No need...if you're there you're most likely to be flying BA anyway.
That would equally apply to any in-terminal branding but I'm not sure it's about selling anything or imparting information. If it were on/within the North and South building boundary, not only would arriving passengers see it as they approach, and (at risk of sounding like a media luvvy and obviously once the current issues are worked through) feel some kind of warm fuzzy feeling, passengers on landing and departing aircraft would also see it. And hopefully think it looked smart and that a decent company lives there

HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
There's the massive Speedmarque on the IAG Cargo building, surprised they haven't changed the logo (to IAG Cargo's) yet.

Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by revorgap
There's the massive Speedmarque on the IAG Cargo building, surprised they haven't changed the logo (to IAG Cargo's) yet.

Hi,

I think the IAG Cargo sign is on the other side of the building ( viewed from landside buses on the southern perimiter road)

Regards

TBS
GGL Flyer and 13901 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think the IAG Cargo sign is on the other side of the building ( viewed from landside buses on the southern perimiter road)

Regards

TBS
It is. Always remember when IAG was formed it was claimed it would never be customer facing branding....
Is BA Cargo still a thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.