Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Mar : [Another] BA Global IT outage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Arriving flights struggling for stand allocation.. when they have a remote one no disembarkation as no buses or air stairs but all check in desks are manned and it’s down to people not being familiar with travel documentation.

Only thing needed for todays BA bingo card is list,of flights arrived for which baggage won’t be delivered.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HGPilot
Parents landed a couple of hours ago from LAX on BA268, still stuck on the plane and onward connection is cancelled. My mum seems to think that BA will book them a hotel for tonight. I would imagine it wouldn't be the best hotel and there's a chance they will all fill up. If you were i my shoes would you book something for them?

Can I claim later on Chase Sapphire Reserve CC?

Mike
I don't think BA will book them, the number of people effected means would take until tomorrow morning to do that. I would book a hotel for them ASAP. I would look around max Ł200 range unless almost all gone up higher already. BA has to cover the cost of hotel, meal, transportation, phone, etc if the connection is on the same ticket as per EU261/2004. You will find more info here how to proceed, etc. it is on a separate ticket then you have to deal with your travel insurance company.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It seems to happen an awful lot these days. Between ba outages and immigration outages, there has been an unnaturally high number of days with major disruptions in the past 6-7 months…
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I’m due to fly PRG-LHR tomorrow Thursday 31st . What do think my chances are of it happening?

It seems in manage my booking I can make changes, but I don’t really want to stay an extra night!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Flew into London City on KLM at 4.45, parked straight up, walked straight through immigration, was in the West End 30 minutes later. Looks like I dodged a bullet here in my enthusiasm to check out the KLM Crown Lounge with my BA-matched ITA Executive card :-)
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Confirming there is a meltdown at T3 as well. My flight to OSL is officially on time, but we're supposed to board in 8 minutes and we still don't have a gate so I guess that's not happening.

crystal_cad likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Being reported on Twitter than BA staff are being offered double pay plus Ł25 per hour to do overtime tonight.

When does the overtime, EU compensation and duty of care costs start to outweigh being incredibly tight with spending on IT and infrastructure?
Sealink, the810, jrfsp320 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am sitting at Geneva right now and am not expecting to get back to LHR tonight. The flight is still showing as delayed but I am sure that night ban will prevent us departing (if it even arrives).
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by heb999
I am sitting at Geneva right now and am not expecting to get back to LHR tonight. The flight is still showing as delayed but I am sure that night ban will prevent us departing (if it even arrives).
Have you checked MMB in BA.com? Or refreshed the cache on your phone App? I think all GVAs are now cancelled.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
Being reported on Twitter than BA staff are being offered double pay plus Ł25 per hour to do overtime tonight.

https://twitter.com/MZulqarnainBut1/...085bNHTTlacaTw

When does the overtime, EU compensation and duty of care costs start to outweigh being incredibly tight with spending on IT and infrastructure?
Add to that costs from extra fuel and crew costs for aircraft unable to disembark passengers, and Heathrow likely charges them for "parking" their aircraft on taxiways too.

Appallingly managed organisation.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
If true, fairly standard corporate spin technique for reputation management. Present a reduction in service as a service improvement in the name of reliability, without openly admitting you can't cope. Have seen it with UK train operators (eg Thameslink) in recent years when they couldn't operate their schedule reliably and moved to an "emergency timetable". Usually caused by staffing issues.

I don't see how it would improve the situation much with these periodic (and increasingly frequent) IT issues, except that obviously fewer scheduled flights would mean fewer delayed/cancelled flights (and less compensation to pay out). Presumably they will have to find a way to do it without breaking the slot usage rules, but I'm sure IAG has plenty of creativity when it comes to such things...
Shambolic (again) that said, it is not only BA who have a problem, there have been reports of three hour queues at Manchester, and the Irish Government is intervening to address the similar problems in Dublin, ones that have seen pax miss flights and Ryanair telling passengers to arrive three hours early. Workforce planning failures have been widespread.

Regarding the unnatural periods of disruption, I do recall recurring IT issues I had in the large financial business I worked in. We eventually traced these to a disaffected Techie. I hope that isn't the case here. Whatever, the fragility of BA's IT has been around for an age.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You're becoming slightly obsessed with Jerry...
Oh is that Mr Shouty / not have a clue's name then?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Door5L
News reporting that BA CEO has said large amounts of cancellations and flight consolidations in the coming weeks to restore passenger and staff confidence.
To be clear, this was BEFORE today's latest meltdown.
Robert279 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:04 pm

How long is the madness going to go on for?

... and more importantly, how is it going to be solved? It's becoming a complete farce. Being based in EDI, I don't have many options if I want to have status with an airline, but considering switching to SkyTeam.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
To be clear, this was BEFORE today's latest meltdown.
It's like he's psychic... at least about the cancellations part...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.