I Class - Enhanced Avios Availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:42 am
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
I Class - Enhanced Avios Availability

Hi all,
Does anyone know a way of identifying enhanced avios seat availability once you’ve booked the flights using the voucher and wish to change one of the flights? I know it’s under I class which I can see using ExpertFlyer etc but BA are also selling these tickets for cash too. Is there a general rule - if being sold there’s no avios option or is it a hybrid? Don’t want to keep phoning to check availability!
TIA, Chris
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think it is just any I selling class. So firstly if there is reward space, that will be used. If there is no reward space the flight can still be booked if there is sufficient I selling class - by that I mean for a 241 you would need I2 or greater.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No it's not.

You need between I8 and I9+ (it varies) unless things have changed since I ran some tests last year.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I recently changed a 241 booking using the new voucher.

If you go to change booking on MMB it will bring up available dates which you can change to. These were NOT showing on the normal reward finder function.

As it happened it was a peak to off peak change so required a call, quickly dealt with once I got through.

It would be useful if they could add the functionality to the normal tool rather than having to do it the long way (eg to search with or without the new voucher as though making a booking) as is currently the case
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Can confirm I called and changed 8 seats today on the same flight with 4 Premium Plus 2 for 1 vouchers using I class availability with 9+ I seats available prior to booking.

The enhanced availability benefit through the Prem Plus voucher definitely outweighs the increase in annual Amex fee IMO.

Chris
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will100

If you go to change booking on MMB it will bring up available dates which you can change to. These were NOT showing on the normal reward finder function.

As it happened it was a peak to off peak change so required a call, quickly dealt with once I got through.

It would be useful if they could add the functionality to the normal tool rather than having to do it the long way (eg to search with or without the new voucher as though making a booking) as is currently the case
Also doesn’t work online if you have an open jaw booking.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by SurreyFlightPath
Can confirm I called and changed 8 seats today on the same flight with 4 Premium Plus 2 for 1 vouchers using I class availability with 9+ I seats available prior to booking.

The enhanced availability benefit through the Prem Plus voucher definitely outweighs the increase in annual Amex fee IMO.

Chris
I agree. This really got me out of a hole a couple of weeks ago given pricing in the near term.

I just wish it were easier to search with the same broad availability tools.
SurreyFlightPath likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Are you saying that searching using an Amex voucher shows more seats than a search without an Amex voucher ?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:14 am
Original Poster

I agree. This really got me out of a hole a couple of weeks ago given pricing in the near term.

I just wish it were easier to search with the same broad availability tools.
Agree. Hopefully will be included in the promised website overhaul…so many things changes/options, advanced members would be capable of doing online themselves if given the functionality!

For now, ExpertFlyer then the Gold line for this one!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Are you saying that searching using an Amex voucher shows more seats than a search without an Amex voucher ?
Hi, I’m saying, following Amex’s changes to the vouchers last year, searching with the latest/revised ‘Premium Plus 2 for 1’ voucher, does provide enhanced availability over search with points only and/or the previous version of 2 for 1 Amex voucher.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Interesting thank you. I just look via seat soy or a search for 2 seats and then only add thd voucher for the real booking. I shall change my ways !
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Interesting thank you. I just look via seat soy or a search for 2 seats and then only add thd voucher for the real booking. I shall change my ways !
Yes, SeatSpy just shows standard original availability ie Z, U class etc.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: BA silver

Following your advice I Tried to change my new voucher booking via MMB but it wouldn't work for me( wouldn't even give me the screen)and directed me to call BA, which I did. They confirmed no availability but told me to look for I class availability. Apart from EF is there a way of doing this? BA suggested I do a dummy boooking which I tried but couldn't see the booking class before I had to pay up!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
Following your advice I Tried to change my new voucher booking via MMB but it wouldn't work for me( wouldn't even give me the screen)and directed me to call BA, which I did. They confirmed no availability but told me to look for I class availability. Apart from EF is there a way of doing this? BA suggested I do a dummy boooking which I tried but couldn't see the booking class before I had to pay up!
You can check fare type by running cash return flight search… once flight options appear click ‘flight details’ and selling class appears. If selling class is I, this will imply enhanced Avios availability is available.

Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: BA silver
Thanks for this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.