Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I'll have a TR up within a week about our move to Austin if you visitors need some reading to pass the time until your trips!
AndrewC, wrp96 and Spinstorm like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stripe
Nonsense. Apart from the breathless headlines you would have no idea there was a pandemic going on here.
Aside from the cute pun, you're right. That's why my patients wait longer to get into an ER where, if they don't have COVID when they come, they will when they leave. It's also why Austin/Travis County EMS has 20% of their workforce sidelined (I don't work for ATCEMS, I work for a Houston-area 911 service).

You're welcome to come. Hope you don't have any kind of accident or medical emergency. It won't be pretty. It's bad here precisely because nobody cares about anything beyond the end of their own nose.

I wouldn't be visiting Austin to come party at this point - and in all seriousness, OP, what is your plan for staying an extra week or two when you DO catch COVID here and can't travel back home (or to Hawaii)? You should seriously have that plan made because the current variant has an onset shorter than the duration of your trip.

Note: I say this as someone who has to travel to California for my full-time job next week and I'm not thrilled about it.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
The OP already noted that he is in good health and is vaxxed and boosted.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
The OP already noted that he is in good health and is vaxxed and boosted.
Which has clearly proven to not matter with Omicron in terms of breakthrough infections. No doubt his illness would be mild, but it may interrupt plans for travel home a few days later.
BAFlyer74 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:21 pm

I'll have a TR up within a week about our move to Austin if you visitors need some reading to pass the time until your trips!
For those interested

Silicon HIlls: Moving to Austin
wrp96 and Spinstorm like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
As a long resident of Austin, I do understand the broad range of opinions on this thread, Austin has changed in many ways since my family and I moved here in early 2000. Traffic wasn't an issue, parking was free downtown, and we had no skyscrapers. All of that has changed dramatically, but some things have not.

We still have an abundance of music, independent restaurants (but with much more variety of food for offer), and a generally positive vibe in most places. Added to new things that have popped up is a great selection of craft breweries with tap rooms (consume on premises while chatting with the brewers).

As others have mentioned, Dallas and Houston are quite a drive away, without any real views to enjoy on the way. San Antonio is definitely worth the visit if time allows, but beware that the traffic on I-35 can be horrendous. A better option going to SA might be driving through the Hill Country. It's a beautiful route and might not take much longer than the traffic jams on the interstate highway.

Some of the places that have not yet been mentioned that might be of interest (IMHO) are:

East Austin (east of I-35) from Cesar Chavez (1st St.) to 7th. Plenty of good restaurants and bars of all price points available
Lake Travis during sunset at either the Oasis (drinks only, wouldn't recommend the food), or the craft brewery next door, the Oasis Brewery. Both have fantastic elevated views over the lake
Golf courses are open year round, if that's a thing for anyone

A bit off topic, but I did fly from LHR to AUS with my wife for the inaugural BA flight back in the day . Upgrade from WT to WT+ was 200 pounds p/p IIRC.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:51 am

At the risk of going OT, what part of Austin do you live in? We're headed down this weekend to look at houses and trying to gather as many opinions as possible. Feel free to shoot me a PM or post in my TR any recs.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
At the risk of going OT, what part of Austin do you live in? We're headed down this weekend to look at houses and trying to gather as many opinions as possible. Feel free to shoot me a PM or post in my TR any recs.
PM'd you..
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:18 pm

I've been here since 2003, I've lived in South Austin, Riverside, in Pflugerville right now, and am building a house in Georgetown. About to head to AUS for a flight, feel free to hit me up if you get this and I'll share some opinions too.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ChillyDawg
I've been here since 2003, I've lived in South Austin, Riverside, in Pflugerville right now, and am building a house in Georgetown. About to head to AUS for a flight, feel free to hit me up if you get this and I'll share some opinions too.
Appreciate that. To try and keep this thread somewhat on track, I have a separate trip report for our house hunting. Today focused mainly in University Hills.

Silicon Hills: Moving to Austin
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Austin is in Stage 5 (highest) COVID restrictions. Not a great time to visit.
Aside from ~10% of people voluntarily wearing masks indoors, it's hard to see what restrictions there are. I did see the mayor recently passed a law requiring businesses to post some signs meant to ward off COVID, but many of us are used to seeing such signs, and I gave up on reading them two years ago.

With "stage 5" restrictions being pretty much indistinguishable from what I always thought was precovid life, I'm curious what a lower stage looks like. At stage 3 are you required to open mouth kiss your bartender when you enter and leave a bar?
strowger and WillTravel4Food like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ChillyDawg
At the risk of being pedantic, are you actually building a house yourself, or are you having a house built?

rb211.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
TESTING QUESTION

I just wanted to check that the COVID test 1 day before means that if my flight is Wednesday that I can have a test ANYTIME on Tuesday?

And not that it has to be 24 hours before (so if my flight was at midday I'd have to have my test after midday on Tuesday) corporate-wage-slave Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
TESTING QUESTION

I just wanted to check that the COVID test 1 day before means that if my flight is Wednesday that I can have a test ANYTIME on Tuesday?

And not that it has to be 24 hours before (so if my flight was at midday I'd have to have my test after midday on Tuesday) corporate-wage-slave Thanks!
Yes - any time during the day before departure!

rb211.
Spinstorm likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Resurrecting this slightly old thread.

Very excited to be heading off to Austin for Easter.

We’ll have 4 nights. After reading this thread, I’m thinking of doing 3 in Austin and 1 in San Antonio. Would it make sense? San Antonio might be the last night, so Saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.