Silicon Hills: Moving to Austin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

Background

In the past few years my fiancé and I have gone through many life changes. From getting Gumbo to having her relocate back to Dallas from Denver and more. Now we’re on to our greatest change yet! Thanks to a wonderful job opportunity for her, and my ability to work anywhere that’s near a large airport, we’re moving to Austin, Texas!

After almost 5 years in Dallas, it seems odd to be leaving but we are excited for this new adventure. What we’re not as excited about is the white-hot real estate market in the area. Thankfully, her new employer has put together a fantastic relocation package with a team of folks to help make this move as easy as possible, so we are off this week to meet our realtor for the first time, in-person, and start our house hunt.

As it seems to be the case across the country, and especially in Texas, inventory is flying off the market and even now, 2 days before we’re going to arrive, we have no idea what will still be available for us to see. For all we know, we could have a house by the end of the week or still be searching in the Fall. Hopefully the process isn’t too stressful, and I’ll do my best to document our trips to the area in this potentially open-ended trip report!

While both my fiancé and I are no strangers to Austin (she attended UT and we have made multiple trips there over the years) the city is changing so rapidly that I hardly recognize it each time I return. We have spent a lot of time out on Lake Travis and while we enjoy the lake, we want to be closer into the city for both commuting and leisure purposes. Because of our 100lb dog, some of our favorite areas such as Zilker, Tarrytown and Bouldin Creek are out of the running for lack of a fenced in yard within our price range. Our goal is to stay inside of “The Loop” but only the market and time will tell if we can find a property that fits our needs.

Thankfully, due to the ongoing Covid restrictions, our relocation window is essentially open ended. Thanks in advance for coming along for the ride and I’ll keep the index updated as new developments arise!

In this Trip Report

Last edited by wakesetter93; Aug 24, 2022 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Austin is one of my favorite cities to visit in the US (we have a few offices around there) and actually it's also one of my favorite airports in the US (mostly because you can walk to the car rentals I hate off airport, such a time suck, but also someone is always playing music and there's enough tasty food stuff around if you're there for a while, and the United club is new and shiny).
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by atsak
Austin is one of my favorite cities to visit in the US (we have a few offices around there) and actually it's also one of my favorite airports in the US (mostly because you can walk to the car rentals I hate off airport, such a time suck, but also someone is always playing music and there's enough tasty food stuff around if you're there for a while, and the United club is new and shiny).
This weekend's trip will be my first time flying in/out of AUS but I won't get to expericence the terminal since JSX (formerly JetSuiteX) operates out of Signature Flight Support. Ive heard TSA queues at AUS can get out of hand at peak times however.
atsak and IAHViking like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Congrats on the move Wakesetter93. Make sure you check Opie's bbq over in Spicewood. It's some of the best Texas bbq I've had. Although you're probably the expert on the subject.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Congrats on the move Wakesetter93. Make sure you check Opie's bbq over in Spicewood. It's some of the best Texas bbq I've had. Although you're probably the expert on the subject.
Thanks for the reccomendation! Though I;ve eaten at Cooper's in Llano and Salt Lick in Driftwood I wouldn't classify myself as a huge BBQ nut as I grew up in Louisiana. I do enjoy it from time to time and we take the boat out to Travis and Lake LBJ, will have to stop on the way!
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
so exciting and gl gl with this!!

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
This weekend's trip will be my first time flying in/out of AUS but I won't get to expericence the terminal since JSX (formerly JetSuiteX) operates out of Signature Flight Support. Ive heard TSA queues at AUS can get out of hand at peak times however.
even tsa pre??
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
so exciting and gl gl with this!!

even tsa pre??
Thanks!

And like I said, I can't speak to it directly but I heard security at AUS can get ridiculous at peak times.

According to the airport, "the Transportation Security Administration advises that travelers should arrive at least two hours early for domestic flights and three hours early for international flights."

The airport's security screening checkpoints open at 3:30 a.m., with TSA PreCheck and Clear screening available at Checkpoints 1 and 2 West.

The new security Checkpoint 2 East is now open during peak travel times near Southwest Airlines ticketing for all passengers going through general screening, the airport said.
Austin Airport Holiday Travel
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Background

In the past few years my fiancé and I have gone through many life changes. From getting Gumbo to having her relocate back to Dallas from Denver and more. Now we’re on to our greatest change yet! Thanks to a wonderful job opportunity for her, and my ability to work anywhere that’s near a large airport, we’re moving to Austin, Texas!

After almost 5 years in Dallas, it seems odd to be leaving but we are excited for this new adventure. What we’re not as excited about is the white-hot real estate market in the area. Thankfully, her new employer has put together a fantastic relocation package with a team of folks to help make this move as easy as possible, so we are off this week to meet our realtor for the first time, in-person, and start our house hunt.

As it seems to be the case across the country, and especially in Texas, inventory is flying off the market and even now, 2 days before we’re going to arrive, we have no idea what will still be available for us to see. For all we know, we could have a house by the end of the week or still be searching in the Fall. Hopefully the process isn’t too stressful, and I’ll do my best to document our trips to the area in this potentially open-ended trip report!

While both my fiancé and I are no strangers to Austin (she attended UT and we have made multiple trips there over the years) the city is changing so rapidly that I hardly recognize it each time I return. We have spent a lot of time out on Lake Travis and while we enjoy the lake, we want to be closer into the city for both commuting and leisure purposes. Because of our 100lb dog, some of our favorite areas such as Zilker, Tarrytown and Bouldin Creek are out of the running for lack of a fenced in yard within our price range. Our goal is to stay inside of “The Loop” but only the market and time will tell if we can find a property that fits our needs.

Thankfully, due to the ongoing Covid restrictions, our relocation window is essentially open ended. Thanks in advance for coming along for the ride and I’ll keep the index updated as new developments arise!

In this Trip Report
  • DAL-AUS via JSX
  • JW Marriott Austin Downtown
  • House Hunting in Austin
  • AUS-DAL via JSX
  • Race Weekend: Running the 3M Austin Half-Marathon
Enjoy Looking, I hope You find what the two, make that three, of you want. Yes, Austin is the most expensive market in Texas. Even where I live in Fort Bend County houses are sold as soon as they are listed, and many times with multiple offers. It's crazy!. Have fun in Austin, getting out of DFW is certainly a plus.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Back to that house in San Francisco. If they would get somebody to power wash the house and driveway it would look so much better.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Enjoy Looking, I hope You find what the two, make that three, of you want. Yes, Austin is the most expensive market in Texas. Even where I live in Fort Bend County houses are sold as soon as they are listed, and many times with multiple offers. It's crazy!. Have fun in Austin, getting out of DFW is certainly a plus.
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Back to that house in San Francisco. If they would get somebody to power wash the house and driveway it would look so much better.
Thanks Jeannietx! We have a great place in Highland Park that I will be sad to see go, but we’re looking forward to this next chapter.

Not sure I caught your “House in San Francisco” reference though.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Subscribed- Always enjoy your reviews. I thought SFO777's 'relocating to CO' report was great so looking forward to another along similar lines!
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Subscribed- Always enjoy your reviews. I thought SFO777's 'relocating to CO' report was great so looking forward to another along similar lines!
Thanks PoincianaKings! Though I don't think this TR will hold a candle to SFO777's
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

DAL-AUS via JSX

The day before our scheduled departure I received an email from JSX informing us of a slight change to our reservation along with some information on our flight. Fortunately the message had nothing to do with the flight itself but rather a change in the FBO from Signature Flight Support to a new private lounge solely for JSX flights. In addition to our flight information it also provided us with information on parking and rideshare options. There is no self parking available but valet is available for either $35 or $40 per day depending on what part of the email you read.

The next day I took Gumbo out to meet my fiance's parents near DFW around lunch before returning to the house and packing my bag. I also received an email from our realtor about a home that had hit the market earlier in the day that we wanted to see. I got a response that the sellers were requesting all offers by 7pm the same day at which point it would have been on the market for about 9 hours total. This is gonna be a fun trip.....

Around 3:10 we ordered an Uber for the short 10 minute drive over to the JSX hangar. Though they advertise being able to show up 20 minutes before departure I wanted to leave a little buffer as it was our first time flying with them in case of any hiccups along the way. Our Uber dropped us off right in front of the building and after a 2 minute check-in process where our bags were tagged and BP's printed we had roughly 20 minutes in their brand new Flagship facility. The lounge/check in area was extremely spacious but there wasn't much in the way of food and beverage. They had some small bottles of water as well two Keurig coffee machines but that was the extent of our choices. I'm not sure if this is a result of Covid or if they want to incentivise folks showing up just prior to departure. There were only a couple of other folks in the lounge as the 3:30p flight to Houston-Hobby had just finished boarding prior to our arrival. Though we were booked 14/30 there were only a couple of other folks in the lounge.

JSX Hangar

JSX Check-In

JSX Lounge

JSX Beverage Center

JSX operates two daily DAL-AUS roundtrips, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, therefore our aircraft had been on the ground in Dallas since 11:00 that morning. It was odd not having to track my inbound throughout the day to identify any delays. This however could be an issue if a flight goes MX or if a weather issue delays/cancels the flight.

JSX
XE 222
DAL-AUS (Dallas Love Field - Austin-Bergstrom International)

Seat: 3A (Business)
EMB-145LR (N242JX)
Scheduled: 4:00p-5:00p
Actual: 4:07p-4:44p

Starting around 3:30p there was a steady stream of pax checking in right up until the 3:40p cutoff. I sipped on a coffee and frantically refreshed Zillow until boarding was called. Security consisted of walking through a set of metal detectors before reaching the podium. The 2 pax in front of us both had issues with their boarding passes so instead of scanning the BP's, they went off of sequence number. After verifying us we walked out on to the tarmac and made a quick left turn where our Embreaer 145LR was waiting to take us to Austin. With no carry on luggage, boarding was a breeze and we settled into 3A and 3C for our very short flight. The intra-Texas JSX planes are in a 1-1 configuration with a table adjacent to the seat on the right side of the aircraft. The seats with the table have an additional upcharge so one can assume the table isn't for both pax in the row but my fiance was kind enough to let me use it.

This sure beats the TSA

JSX Ramp

The doors closed with a load of 12/30 and after a short taxi we were airborne. We took off to the northwest, overflying DFW before turning towards the south. Our FA had taken beverage orders before takeoff and as soon as we ascended through 10,000ft she began the service. I had a vodka soda with lime (didn't expect powdered lime) while my fiance had sparkling wine. After the beverage service she came through with a snack basket consiting of brownie brittle, green pea snack crisps and cheese straws and encouraged us to take as much as we wanted. Having not eaten any lunch, I went for the cheese straws and green pea snack crisps. The remainder of the flight I worked on this trip report as there was no Wifi on board and before long we were on descent into AUS. We circled around the airport and Circuit of the Americas and landed from the south where we had a quick taxi over to Signature Flight Support. Upon deplaining our bags were waiting for us and once inside the terminal we called an Uber over to the rental car center.

JSX Menu

National has a location at Signature Flight Support but I was unaware of this when making our reservation. Though I have noted it for future trips. Our Uber arrived quickly as he was dropping another passenger off at the FBO and we made the quick 15 minute drive from the general aviation part of the airport over to the main terminal and rental car center. Both the Executive and Emerald Aisles were looking rather barren but I managed to grab a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 23k on the odometer. After loading the luggage we made a quick stop at a nearby Torchy's before heading out to look at a few houses.

Pre house hunt fuel

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jan 13, 2022 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great report and cool airline. What is the round trip fare?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Great report and cool airline. What is the round trip fare?
Thanks enviroian! The pricing starts at $139 each way and with our Sunday afternoon return being more populat, I think we paid right around $340 a ticket.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.