Silicon Hills: Moving to Austin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silicon Hills: Moving to Austin

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: ShebaMiles
Excited to see this continue. Settling in to read your honeymoon TR, but I'm wondering if the best course for you guys might not be to rent a place (a townhouse?) for a while until the market cools down a bit and rates fall back. By some metrics, Austin has the second most overvalued RE market in the country. I don't think you'll have to wait long; prices are softening and we may be near peak or at peak already. Rates will take a little longer to come down but not too much longer. Your dog might not be too pleased with this, though! I'm no expert, so take this all with a grain or two of salt.
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by Parterre; May 29, 2022 at 11:05 am
Old May 29, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Parterre
Excited to see this continue. Settling in to read your honeymoon TR, but I'm wondering if the best course for you guys might not be to rent a place (a townhouse?) for a while until the market cools down a bit and rates fall back. By some metrics, Austin has the second most overvalued RE market in the country. I don't think you'll have to wait long; prices are softening and we may be near peak or at peak already. Rates will take a little longer to come down but not too much longer. Your dog might not be too pleased with this, though! I'm no expert, so take this all with a grain or two of salt.
Hope you enjoy the honeymoon TR Parterre! I need to get to work on the next section.

A far as renting goes, Mrs. WS93 is adamant that we must have a yard, especially since my work travel has started back up and I'm gone Mon-Thur every week which leaves her stuck with all the walks. So, even if we rent, a yard is a must. We have until August-September to get down to Austin though and the market looks like it will continue to soften.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying this different type of TR! As someone who’s in the process of navigating the real estate market right now moving from Cincinnati to Dallas, so much of this is relatable. Thank you for taking the time to do this and congratulations on your marriage and other major life milestones!
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Over in Delta forum, wakesetter93 appears to have progressed towards acquisition of a domicile:

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
It would appear that we have found a house
David
SFO777, wrp96 and nequine like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELee
Over in Delta forum, wakesetter93 appears to have progressed towards acquisition of a domicile:

David
Contract is in hand, looks like I’ll have a new part of this TR soon!
Kgmm77, Hoyaheel, catmndu and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Contract is in hand, looks like I’ll have a new part of this TR soon!
fantastic!! I’m so happy for you. As years pass, you’ll be enjoying your home and looking forward to it after your travels.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Under Contract: Racing to Austin

I had flown home to Louisiana, from Denver, to spend some time with my parents and attend a wedding with Mrs. WS93 who had driven over from Dallas. While I was in the aur on my DEN-SHV flight, Mrs. WS93 and our realtor were on a FaceTime call walking through a house in Austin. I told her before I boarded my flight that I trusted her judgement and he could proceed how she saw fit (like she would have listened to me anyway).

When I landed in Shreveport, docstarbuck picked me up from the airport and we headed to the house. Mrs. WS93 was going back and forth with our realtor, and we ultimately submitted an offer early Friday morning. Our realtor texted us later that afternoon saying that our offer had been accepted! Then, the real chaos began as we had to re-arrange multiple flights and meetings in order to get down to Austin Sunday night for the walkthrough with the inspector on Monday.

After a beautiful wedding for friends on Saturday night, we were up early on Sunday morning and on the road. Our first stop was Dallas, to drop off Gumbo with Mrs. WS93’s brother and then we were planning to unpack/repack and head on to Austin. We stopped near Tyler for a quick snack at Sonic before making our way to Dallas.

7 hours in the car today

At the Texas state line and still have 6.5h to go

Quick put stop

After repacking, we were back on the road to Austin and, other than a painfully slow and chaotic Buc-ee’s stop, we made great time. Due to the last-minute nature of our trip and short stay, we stayed with some friends of ours near where our new house was. The next day, I had to get some work done and around 3:00p, as the inspector was wrapping up, we made our way over to see our new house for the first time.

Tiger fans will recognize that plate

Approaching Austin

Getting Closer

Almost There!

While we both really enjoyed the house, the biggest selling point for us was the yard. The pictures were good but until we could see it for ourselves, we did not know what to expect. Upon arrival at the house, we met our realtor and inspector who ran s through a long list of (very minor) things that he recommended we do. The only major item was a new hot water heater (which the sellers agreed to replace for us). After we were done there, we headed out to check out the yard and large park area that we have access too.

Not a bad backyard view, especially for the middle of the city

Gumbo’s new play area

Beyond excited with our “new” house, we headed off for a quick stop at Live Oak Brewing before I had to head to the airport. Live Oak is extremely unassuming and off the beaten path but very close to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport which made it a great place to kill 45 minutes before I got dropped off at the airport.

Live Oak Brewing

Cheers to new house beers!

Though there are still a few, upcoming, chapters to this TR, we are glad to have this major part behind us.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jun 28, 2022 at 10:29 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:10 pm

Double Congratulations on the new house and the recent wedding
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 48vpat
Double Congratulations on the new house and the recent wedding
Thank you 48vpat! We're excited about this new adventure
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
What an eventful time for you & the new Mrs - congratulations!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Congrats on the house. What a lovely view from the backyard!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Congratulations on the house. It looks like a great back yard. Will Gumbo be taught how to use the slide ?
Hoyaheel and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by catmndu
Congratulations on the house. It looks like a great back yard. Will Gumbo be taught how to use the slide ?
Gumbo already knows how to use the slide - as well as search for seats on Xpertflyer
Hoyaheel, catmndu, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
What an eventful time for you & the new Mrs - congratulations!
Thanks Hoyaheel! Lots going on for us right now

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Congrats on the house. What a lovely view from the backyard!
Thanks GregWTravels, we love the view!

Originally Posted by catmndu
Thanks catmndu, I don't think the slide will be sticking around.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Gumbo already knows how to use the slide - as well as search for seats on Xpertflyer
adampenrith, if only he knew how to do that!
adampenrith and catmndu like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Is that a pet memorial in the backyard? Congrats on the new house.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.