Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
Thanks for the advice. What I am actually thinking is use Austin as a base.
Rent a car and visit San Antonio, Dallas and Houston and spend one day in Austin.

Does that sound a good plan? it's 4 nights and 5 days so enough to explore.
No. That is too ambitious. You might be able to hit three of the aforementioned cities, but even that would be very rushed.

Stick to Austin, San Antonio, and parts in between (Lockhart and New Braunfels) given the duration of your trip so you don’t squander too much of it on the roads.

If you absolutely must hit one of Houston or Dallas, pick Houston, but if that is the plan, you would have been better served by an open jaw itinerary into AUS and out of IAH or vice versa.

As for COVID, Texas has some of the fewest restrictions in the country. Masks are generally not required even indoors.

In addition to barbeque, you should try some Tex-Mex. If you make it to San Antonio, I highly recommend Paloma Blanca (https://www.palomablanca.net) and Rosario’s Southtown (https://rosariossa.com). Both of them have excellent margaritas. Paloma Blanca’s enchiladas verdes and tres leches are the standouts and Rosario’s has the best salsa in San Antonio, which means it has some of the best salsa anywhere.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I am thinking of going somewhere week after next and I fancy Austin.
Economy is £1,900 return (!!!) but with my avios I can pay around £390 and I have enough Bonvoy points to stay in the city for either nothing (at the airport) or a few hundred dollars in the city.

Has anyone here been to Austin? how is it in January? Any tips?
I'm getting ready to move to Austin and will be there next weekend (1/13-16) house hunting and the weekend after (1/22-23) to run the Austin Half-Marathon. Let me know if you want to grab a beer.

EDIT: For those discussing weather, it's 1:00am and 61 degrees farenheight right now
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
As for COVID, Texas has some of the fewest restrictions in the country. Masks are generally not required even indoors.
Regardless of legal requirements, what is the "feel" in Texas (or, if you can't speak to that, in San Antonio) right now? If you go out, do most people behave as if the pandemic is nonexistent? Is it a "normal" environment that just happens to have a tenth of the city bedridden for the next week? Or has the current surge in infections led some significant share (I'm sure not all) of the city/state to take notice and wear masks or reduce dining out?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Regardless of legal requirements, what is the "feel" in Texas (or, if you can't speak to that, in San Antonio) right now? If you go out, do most people behave as if the pandemic is nonexistent? Is it a "normal" environment that just happens to have a tenth of the city bedridden for the next week? Or has the current surge in infections led some significant share (I'm sure not all) of the city/state to take notice and wear masks or reduce dining out?
If you choose to wear a mask here or not, nobody would mind either way. Its been very much "to each their own"
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I can certainly speak to San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

It’s all very laissez faire. If you want to wear a mask in public, you’ll almost certainly be in the minority, but you can and nobody will give you a hard time. Most Texans don’t wear masks these days except in airports and on planes, where federal requirements apply, and in medical facilities.

I go out and dine out regularly and feel comfortable doing so [I am vaccinated and boosted].
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good value in return in economy to Hawaii? £700 plus 30k Avios?
Not really. Fares in January/February with a little bit of advance purchase from Texas to Hawaii have been readily available between $300 to $400. I see DL offering AUS-HNL for as low as $286 RT beginning at the end of January. Meanwhile, lodging in Hawaii is stupidly expensive at the moment (and recently).

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jan 9, 2022 at 12:25 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:41 am

I’ve heard plenty of good things about Austin, hence why I have booked a trip for the 1st of Feb.

Please let us know how it goes.

From my research, it’s well worth the drive down to San Antonio.
If you’re brave, head to Barton Creek for a swim. Lake Travis is meant to be nice too.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Also where would be the best place to sit in WT as a Gold on the 789?
WTP. If it's a cash ticket with Avios used to reduce the cost then you could be offered a POUG on that. It's also possible on a redemption ticket too but less so.

It is actually quite normal to get a seat allocated at booking if using BA.com and often a good one, so I'm surprised you haven't seen that before. Ironically it doesn't work if you are 3 days to departure and you've been moved to the FLY system, ironic because Theoretical Seating then kicks in, so you get a seat down the back and no-one next to you. Row 30 has masses of leg space but has partly fixed seat arms, and you best be slim for them. THe rest of 789 seating is fairly cramped, it is WT. The other option perhaps is 43H, and hope that 43J stays empty for you. If the loads look low and you are looking for 3 empty seats it's difficult to second guess that, so it may be easier to board late and scout out the options.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As above, forget about Houston or Dallas. And stick to Austin & San Antonio.

Maybe to a triangular trip with a stop in Fredericksburg? An old "German" town in the heart of Texas with breweries, wineries and plenty of places to eat. We rented a log cabin which was about 10 minutes walk from the Main Street (https://www.visitfredericksburgtx.co...creekside/318/). Lovely place.

And of course, you must visit Buc-ees
Kgmm77, wrp96, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks for the advice. What I am actually thinking is use Austin as a base.
Rent a car and visit San Antonio, Dallas and Houston and spend one day in Austin.

Does that sound a good plan? it's 4 nights and 5 days so enough to explore.
In my view, that is at least one too many and you will spend a lot of time in the car (bear in mind that you will be spending a lot of time in the car even within places like Houston or Dallas which are extremely spread out) and won't really have time to enjoy anything. At the very least, I'd drop Dallas (or Houston, but in my view, Houston is a bit more interesting than Dallas). If it were me, however, I'd just do Austin and San Antonio, or Austin and a night or two in a ranch in the country somewhere (there are a few around).
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
As several have already said - Terry Black's Barbecue.

Beef Rib.

I'll say no more.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As above, forget about Houston or Dallas. And stick to Austin & San Antonio.

Maybe to a triangular trip with a stop in Fredericksburg? An old "German" town in the heart of Texas with breweries, wineries and plenty of places to eat. We rented a log cabin which was about 10 minutes walk from the Main Street (https://www.visitfredericksburgtx.co...creekside/318/). Lovely place.

And of course, you must visit Buc-ees
I religiously buy the yogurt cinnamon pretzels at buc-ees
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:27 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Agreeing that trying to do Dallas and Houston is quite unrealistic. You'd be spending all your time on the road. Concentrate on San Antonio.

But for those who say Dallas is the most boring place ever, you clearly haven't found the arboretum, the varied cultural life in Fort Worth, and charming towns such as Granbury. Even downtown Dallas has a lot going for it, but you need to look for it.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Austin is in Stage 5 (highest) COVID restrictions. Not a great time to visit.
Originally Posted by ChillyDawg
We're a covid hot spot right now and it's going to get worse next week. Saw earlier our test positive rate is up to 38% and 1 in 5 Texans have covid at the moment. Not sure if that factors into your plans but just an FYI.
Nonsense. Apart from the breathless headlines you would have no idea there was a pandemic going on here. Life on the streets, in restaurants, etc is normal. One does see a bit more mask usage in the last week or two than has been the norm in recent months but mask mandates are illegal in Texas, except for perhaps things like medical settings.
As a tripple vaxxed person I am not super concerned about Covid as I take precautions. I’m sure like everyone else on here.
Spot on. Common sense should prevail. Just stay stay out of crowded bars, etc. Enjoy your visit.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Cool city but I won’t go there anymore as it’s not safe.

the police department was de-funded so there are less cops patrolling. Good luck trying to get a cop to assist there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.