Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WILD flight to Dubai (BA 109)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Walking around while taxiing- let the crew deal with it the danger is largely to themselves, stay out of it.

Masks- some evidence they may work at a population level but not enough for you to worry about in a plane with air filtration, ignore. I can assure you that if they had Omicron you were exposed, mask or not, the good news is it’s a mild cold for almost everyone with a vaccine.

CW food- you were apparently in WTP so really not your problem to worry about.

Would love to hear the other side of the story about the passenger constantly complaining to crew about everyone else’s behaviour….
Exactly.

It's amazing how some being bored sitting for hours will think it's their job to take note of anything that bothers them.
If it's a flight safety matter, by all means notify the crew. Then, allow them to handle it as appropriate. Not wearing a mask, having a loud infant, or using the wrong bathroom doesn't qualify.
endoman, crazy8534 and Rim1 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
We were discussing The Vault Bar at the JW Marriott Marquis in Business Bay where Duck1981 took his wife. I live in Dubai and know the difference 🙂
Coming back to the Vault, I just remembered that I spoke early 2020 with the bar manager of the St Regis Abu Dhabi re/ this topic. He had a good laugh about my experience with my wife - he was the manager of the Vault until 2020 - and he agreed that all kind of services are available there. He also said that at some point they've tried to manage the situation a bit - e.g. even allowing no single ladies into the Vault - but the ladies simply chatted up guys in the lobby to come in as a couple.

The most notorious place seems to be the Jules Verne bar in the Le Meridien at the airport though, mostly given the fact that EK puts its First/ Business transfer pax in there which seems to be a good target group (in this hotel I was even asked once - by Marriott staff - out of the blue 'if I like company as the bar is closed due to Ramadan' during check in, which made me wonder how they assessed that I might be interested).
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
None of the behaviours described by OP should have been tolerated. Regardless of the merit of masks, flaunting safety protocols etc. if there are any laws/regs to enforce they better be enforced, and if the police has to be called into the gate, so be it. At the end of the day, what is the point of having these directives if they are not enforceable?

Recently, on an Etihad flight i approached the flight's service director, as there were a few passengers that flaunted the masks' rule, foraying from economy etc. Kindly, she told me that the airline did ask them to avoid any potential confrontation, and in practice once they requested a passenger to do/not do something they would refrain from so doing after second/third attempt....
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Coming back to the Vault, I just remembered that I spoke early 2020 with the bar manager of the St Regis Abu Dhabi re/ this topic. He had a good laugh about my experience with my wife - he was the manager of the Vault until 2020 - and he agreed that all kind of services are available there. He also said that at some point they've tried to manage the situation a bit - e.g. even allowing no single ladies into the Vault - but the ladies simply chatted up guys in the lobby to come in as a couple.

The most notorious place seems to be the Jules Verne bar in the Le Meridien at the airport though, mostly given the fact that EK puts its First/ Business transfer pax in there which seems to be a good target group (in this hotel I was even asked once - by Marriott staff - out of the blue 'if I like company as the bar is closed due to Ramadan' during check in, which made me wonder how they assessed that I might be interested).
Jules is blatant, and it is probably the sole purifier for that bar existing. I think it’s because of the EK Dubai Connect service that has a lot of overnight people staying at the Le Merdien.

Vault, yeah, but it’s subtle. It everywhere in Dubai. Even in the fanciest DIFC bars and restaurants. All that changes is what proportion, and how brazen people get (higher end places won’t allow certain things).

As for being assessed, I think many men travelling alone will get asked that. I was asked that at the One & Only Palm. My wife had checked in a day ahead of me and thought it funny.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Legrand
Flew on BA 109 to Dubai in PE last night. A handful of pax in PE were openly flouting flight safety instructions by walking around the cabin while the plane was taxiing, not wearing masks for the ENTIRE flight, barging into the CW cabin to grab Club Kitchen snacks and use the bathroom whenever they wished, and so on. A young French couple seated in the bassinet section were the most flagrant and shameless offenders. FAs tried to request them to get with the program a couple times (after we repeatedly pressed them to do so) but they just waved away the FAs arrogantly and so the FAs just gave up. I have never seen such behavior tolerated on any US airline. US FAs are very strict with enforcing regulations, and most US pax (except the most drunken or drugged-up ones) know better than to disobey the FAs. Are BA FAs always this "tolerant" with pax that misbehave?
Appreciate your point of view but hardly WILD as the tittle suggests….

There will always be a couple of d&@ks that don’t follow rules - this is the nature of travel at the moment, perhaps people should stay home if they expect 100% compliance from beginning to end
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:30 pm

Jules is blatant, and it is probably the sole purifier for that bar existing. I think it’s because of the EK Dubai Connect service that has a lot of overnight people staying at the Le Merdien.

Vault, yeah, but it’s subtle. It everywhere in Dubai. Even in the fanciest DIFC bars and restaurants. All that changes is what proportion, and how brazen people get (higher end places won’t allow certain things).

As for being assessed, I think many men travelling alone will get asked that. I was asked that at the One & Only Palm. My wife had checked in a day ahead of me and thought it funny.
agree on all points. bit surprised about the O&O though
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Having flown numerous AA and AS segments recently I can only marvel at the effectiveness of the Flight Attendants they have on board - they all seem to manage being friendly yet super-firm and taking no s@@t from passengers - one glorious lady on Alaska managed to find time to give a couple three vodka-mixers on a 1hr flight but did not hesitate to call them out on wearing mesh masks and ensuring they took the regulation ones they had on board - message delivered in a friendly but it's not your option manner - they complied happily. I'm not sure at BA if they lack training or ultimately lack the empowerment to take action or perhaps sadly even disillusioned that if they do enforce, they will be overruled or unsupported eventually. There should be a simple procedure for giving one warning and if not heeded, then police on arrival. I'm sure the Dubai police force aren't most people's idea of a great holiday!

It's not a case of writing the incident off as oh they're ( or event the destination itself) a bunch of chavs what do you expect, there are clear rules for flying on a public vehicle and all should comply whether you disagree with their effectiveness or not. I don't know if it would work, but I would be noting seat numbers, reporting to the CSD (and noting if he/she didn't bother taking action) and reporting to BA afterwards - the Club Kitchen thieving is annoying but it's the walking around and no mask wearing that I would focus on.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Legrand
PS: BTW you seem a little too personally offended in your comment above? Maybe you too are one of those folks who like to sneak into CW and steal stuff from there?
You caught me.

I find busybodies to be insufferable, therefore I must be a thief.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We were discussing The Vault Bar at the JW Marriott Marquis in Business Bay where Duck1981 took his wife. I live in Dubai and know the difference 🙂
Sorry, I misread the post. I've never actually been to The Vault... But Cafe Artois many times
Duck1981 and IntrepidAfrican2 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Sorry, I misread the post. I've never actually been to The Vault... But Cafe Artois many times
I think I've heard about that one as well
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
None of the behaviours described by OP should have been tolerated. Regardless of the merit of masks, flaunting safety protocols etc. if there are any laws/regs to enforce they better be enforced, and if the police has to be called into the gate, so be it. At the end of the day, what is the point of having these directives if they are not enforceable?

Recently, on an Etihad flight i approached the flight's service director, as there were a few passengers that flaunted the masks' rule, foraying from economy etc. Kindly, she told me that the airline did ask them to avoid any potential confrontation, and in practice once they requested a passenger to do/not do something they would refrain from so doing after second/third attempt....
Settle down. The police are not there to be used because some passenger like you is mad. Most understand that. A few can generally use a large dose of MYOB. If it's a serious violation impacting the safety of the aircraft then the crew will take appropriate action. Not wearing a mask in flight doesn't come close to that threshold. The Flight Services Director seems to know that.
In the US, wearing a mask on board is an FAA regulation based on a directed political decision, most folks use common sense and abide. It's certainly not a 'law'.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by nh1980
Having flown numerous AA and AS segments recently I can only marvel at the effectiveness of the Flight Attendants they have on board - they all seem to manage being friendly yet super-firm and taking no s@@t from passengers - one glorious lady on Alaska managed to find time to give a couple three vodka-mixers on a 1hr flight but did not hesitate to call them out on wearing mesh masks and ensuring they took the regulation ones they had on board - message delivered in a friendly but it's not your option manner - they complied happily. I'm not sure at BA if they lack training or ultimately lack the empowerment to take action or perhaps sadly even disillusioned that if they do enforce, they will be overruled or unsupported eventually. There should be a simple procedure for giving one warning and if not heeded, then police on arrival. I'm sure the Dubai police force aren't most people's idea of a great holiday!

It's not a case of writing the incident off as oh they're ( or event the destination itself) a bunch of chavs what do you expect, there are clear rules for flying on a public vehicle and all should comply whether you disagree with their effectiveness or not. I don't know if it would work, but I would be noting seat numbers, reporting to the CSD (and noting if he/she didn't bother taking action) and reporting to BA afterwards - the Club Kitchen thieving is annoying but it's the walking around and no mask wearing that I would focus on.
The difference is that, in America, airlines are backed up by federal regulations and they will offload/get police to meet the offenders. In the UK, the regulation is as effective and unambiguous as a Hugh Grant monologue. You should wear a face covering, unless you're exempt, and you can be exempt for any kind of reason and you don't need to provide any paperwork.

As for getting the cops at either end of the flight... When I was working for the airline I had to call the police twice (once when I was to go downstairs in arrivals to meet a JNB return from airborne to tell a planeload of angry South Africans that we'd run out of beds due to earlier disruption and it was either the Sofitel ballroom or pay-and-claim, and once for drunk Russian sailors). In the first case the Met arrived roughly when half the plane had arrived, picked up their bags, called me all the possible permutations of c**t and left. In the second case, they never showed up.

As for Dubai's finest...
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
The difference is that, in America, airlines are backed up by federal regulations and they will offload/get police to meet the offenders. In the UK, the regulation is as effective and unambiguous as a Hugh Grant monologue. You should wear a face covering, unless you're exempt, and you can be exempt for any kind of reason and you don't need to provide any paperwork.
In the US, police will not arrive at the gate unless there is a request by the Captain or an onboard law enforcement officer with good reason. That won't be forthcoming simply because someone is seen without a mask. IF the crew decides to firmly insist that someone wears a mask or wears one differently, and the pax gets hostile and is then considered a threat to the flight (BIG IF), the Captain might make that request. As flight crews in the USA are trained to avoid confrontation, this rarely happens minus aggravating factors (i.e. intoxication).
Flight crews know they're not cops. Some passengers incorrectly think they themselves can become one for the price of a ticket.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just out for a pre-dinner beer at Jules… The family Christmas Day brunch at Warehouse seemed to be going well, with a British and Asian family hurling abuse at each other and plenty of “hold me back” going on.

In this particular case, it was the Asian family that were slaughtered….

Funny watching other families leaving the brunch and having their photos taken with Santa whilst listening to “F*** off you ****s” not 20 feet away!

No security as it’s not generally that sort of place! And it was 17:00

The place is ruined I tell yer!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
😂😂😂

I believe Cafe Artois was one of the first places to get a license to serve alcohol and stay open after 0300, and things really went south there lol
msm2000uk and Duck1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.