Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's YVR lounge(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Well the good news is that Plaza Premium is temporarily by gate 67.

the bad news is that it’s just a roped off area of the terminal with seating and fridges etc.

I decided to use my DragonPass guest pass (thanks Barclays!) and use SkyTeam. Shower rooms put T5 arrivals to shame - but that’s not news

[even weirder that BA haven’t done a deal with CX to use their lounge outside their normal hours]
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: BA. Aeroplan
Vancouver Lounge - gets worse

Since BA closed its own lounge at YVR it has been using the somewhat overcrowded (most of the time) Plaza Premium Lounge. This is now being renovated (or perhaps moved?) and there is a sort of pop-up facility at Gate D64. They may be trying their best but if you have paid a few thousand pounds on a flight to a significant destination I think BA should do better than offering its clients their alcoholic drinks in paper cups and poor hot meals on paper plates. Come on BA you can do better than this.

If you had actually paid the usual entrance fee of around CAD $61 - I would ask for my money back - better off spending it at one of the bars/restaurants.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This is known as the Schiphol solution

On a serious note, it sounds pretty rubbish, but not sure what else BA can do if the lounge is being refurbished? Maybe offer a meal voucher for one of the restaurants? I haven't been to Vancouver for ages, but there aren't many airports in the world where a meal voucher (even a generous one) would excite me. Indeed, for me the lounge is about relaxing or doing some work and being able to top up drinks and coffee at my own pace and leisure- something that a restaurant cannot really replicate.
SxMan and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
This is known as the Schiphol solution

On a serious note, it sounds pretty rubbish, but not sure what else BA can do if the lounge is being refurbished? Maybe offer a meal voucher for one of the restaurants? I haven't been to Vancouver for ages, but there aren't many airports in the world where a meal voucher (even a generous one) would excite me. Indeed, for me the lounge is about relaxing or doing some work and being able to top up drinks and coffee at my own pace and leisure- something that a restaurant cannot really replicate.
They could pay CX to operate their lounge earlier in the evening, accommodating BA passengers. This would be a better outcome for BA passengers generally, although I expect it’d cost more and thus won’t happen.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Presumably the same situation is in place at YVR with the Premium Plaza in a roped off section of the concourse?

With that in mind, and the Cathay lounge not open before BA84 departs on 7 November, I might try the SkyTeam lounge via Priority Pass instead if deemed a less worse option.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: VS LT Gold 1MM, BA Gold, M&M Frequent, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

BA or bust and Howard Long like this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:38 am

Crikey, that’s grim. No booze? (Asking for a friend)
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes there is a selection of a few spirits and beer - served by member of staff.
It was very poor to be honest when I was there last week, but better than nothing, we got watered and fed for free even if it was basic, and its better than the alternative which would probably be a $20 voucher.
Howard Long likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:17 pm

Heads up, despite the published opening time of 21:35, the Cathay lounge opened at 20:10: by luck I was walking past when the signs were being put out 15 minutes before opening time.

I wondered up to the Premium Plaza “lounge” but frankly it’s barely worth the effort, except for it being almost across from D62 where BA84 seems to typically depart from these days.

So I headed back to the Cathay lounge arriving a couple of minutes after it opened. It was empty when I walked in apart from the staff.

I enjoyed one of the best airline lounge showers ever: the shower room is huge, highly recommended!
saccosekk likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Breaking News! Plaza Premium is moving to the old BA lounges.

Cathay Pacific opened at 20:04! Wow, is this ever nice. Better than terminal 3.

Breaking News! Plaza Premium is moving to the old BA lounges. This should be in the early 2024, according to Plaza Premium staff.

Pictures to follow. Stupid one drive!
LE2 and TedToToe like this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Damn (re the Cathay Lounge)! I was at YVR earlier this week and it looked suspiciously open. Unfortunately I was in the position of buying an upgrade to J (quite reasonable all things considered) at the gate, and had to wait for my BP. Although I had an eye on the Cathay lounge, as we were at gate 71 right next to it, I wasn’t wiling to stand around indefinitely waiting for my BP and instead headed to the mezzanine lounge (Skyteam?) opposite the gate via priority pass.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: EK Gold, Asia Miles, Aeroplan
So BA is using the Cathay lounge at YVR?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LaFerrari
So BA is using the Cathay lounge at YVR?
At the time of my last flight (November 8), if one qualifies, they can use the Cathay Pacific lounge.
From One World website, the lounge is open "Subject to CX flight schedule". This usually means that it is open at 2000 hrs.
It is fairly close to the gate that BA uses. So, it is worth checking out.
LaFerrari likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Plaza prem

Can confirm the plaza premium temporary space leaves a lot to be desired. The one pro is that it’s very airy basically in the middle of the terminal but the disposable plates etc and food leave a lot to be desired. My house with the new lounge will be ready. I got a blank stare and a response that maybe in August or September. Waiting til 8 for CX…
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
The plaza premium space has indeed "Cafe Flor" vibes, through and through. They will move in (circa) 6 months to the old BA space, no news on the BA option. For those yelling "Cathay", yes fine but no Cathay flights on a Monday ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.