Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Most lo-costs like to operate new cheaper aircraft with better efficiency and less maintenance. While I know that BA have lots of planes to use at the moment. Using your crystal balls - In 2-5 year what might they do?.... where is that Letter of intent for the Max jets.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Am I reading that right? The £24k a year *includes* meal allowances and commission from in-flight sales? Or are they on top?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Am I reading that right? The £24k a year *includes* meal allowances and commission from in-flight sales? Or are they on top?
correct. Base pay isn’t even £16,000pa.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1010101
It doesn't make much sense to me. If its a premium airline surely it's only competing against BA itself, in which case why not just bring BA shorthaul back to LGW?
Eseentially this was a way of driving down flight deck costs. Cabin crew costs were already at rock bottom, I doubt there is much difference for most recentl LGW cabin crew, other than - I guess - the risk of a long winter lay-off. And that I suspect will not materialise, looking at the Spain travelling numbers, some routes are at 90% of pre-pandemic levels. But in terms of what the "new" LGW will look like for passengers, it's very much like the pre-pandemic airline, though maybe to more Visting Friends and Family routes than before.

And at that point, sure BA are competing against easyJet really - Wizz is a bit different in terms of route network. easyJet offers a very similar service to BA, it even now has an easyJet lounge (sort of) in LGW. The BA proposition is "pay £x more and get Avios and a drink, pay a bit more for wine, meal, empty seat and more checked luggage". Sometimes BA will be cheaper than easyJet, Previously BA simply opened its booking window long before easyJet and got some over-priced bookings lined up. But LGW has a distinct market compared to LHR, and whereas LHR looks at United and Delta and Virgin, LGW most certainly looks at easyJet. You could tell because BA's fares from LGW often tracked easyJet's fares: as soon as easyJet opened their window within 48 hours BA's fares would be cut down to size.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Our housekeeper / cleaner works 5 hours per day and earns £30k. This is really pathetic money.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Our housekeeper / cleaner works 5 hours per day and earns £30k. This is really pathetic money.
I've seen you quote this a few times. Perhaps you need to shop around ..
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Its clearly market rate.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
There will almost certainly still be more than enough applicants despite the salary offering. Whilst some on here will think otherwise, it's still something that is seen as a desirable occupation; a lot of people will find the lifestyle appealing (at least on the face of it), for example, and there are also plenty of people not motivated by money. The prospect of travelling to new places is something that appeals to a lot of people, albeit the reality may not be what they expect.

As we've seen with numerous occupations recently, wages only seem to rise substantially when there is a chronic shortage of people willing to do.the job. I think it's too low, but only a lack of applicants will lead to BA reaching the same conclusion.
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
​​​​​​You're being conned
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
So that's roughly £16.40 an hour working 7 days a week for 52 weeks of the year..
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
More like £23 an hour based on 260 working days a year, or £25 based on 232 working days a year.

Either way, I pay £17.50 an hour which is fair.

None of which or relevant to this thread
lhrpete and Speedbird28 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hopefully we can get back on topic soon!
I expect BA will recruit enough cabin crew for the new operation from the talent pool and new applicants.
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by labdoctor
​​​​​​You're being conned
A very well-off ex-banker chooses to pay his staff well and everyone here criticises him? The world really is in a sorry state. Much though I sometimes disagree with what he writes, I can respect him for doing something nice. A nice world doesn’t need everyone to pay market-bottom rate.

Where I would like to challenge, though, is on how much he thinks cabin crew should be paid. And how much extra he thinks the market can bear in terms of fare increases to pay for it.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:36 pm

Excellent news to hear the LGW SH may finally be taking off (pardon the pun)

re salary, yes it’s low, not sure anyone can argue against that but as has been said, the job, and aviation in general still is an attractive proposition to many people and airlines and other employers in the Industry know this. It will be oversubscribed. When companies struggle to recruit that’s when salaries increase.

no longer are jobs in many industries, especially cabin crew seen as long term and so it’s a continuous cycle. Recruit on low salary/poor pension, oversubscribed, fill jobs, after a few years, people leave, recruit again on low salary/poor pension and so on.

with regards to the LGW SH. Personal opinion, I think JER will stay at LHR, I don’t even think BA will bother with a W rotation. Not sure if BA will see the merit of an EDI W rotation.

LGW will always be summer heavy but I hope, the new team heading up the LGW SH work out as best they can to flatten the summer peak and winter lull. The lean months of November, December, January and February if they can make those work it will make a big difference
vectismanpaul likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Confus
A very well-off ex-banker chooses to pay his staff well and everyone here criticises him?
It's more the virtue signalling, self shoulder-slapping "how lovely am I" routine...

​​​​​
A P Yu, bafan, tigertanaka and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.