Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA planning to launch ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BAeuro
Gatwick Short-Haul Routes S22

New permanent LHR services (exLGW)

Algiers – Terminal 3
Bari – Terminal 3
Catania – Terminal 5
Dubrovnik – Terminal 5
Funchal – Terminal 5
Heraklion – Terminal 5
Jersey – Terminal 5
Kos - Terminal 5
Lanzarote - Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Malta - Terminal 5 (Apr-Jun only)
Naples – Terminal 3
Paphos - Terminal 5
Porto - Terminal 3
Seville – Terminal 5 (Apr/May only)
Thessaloniki - Terminal 5
Tirana – Terminal 3

Remaining at LGW (On sale)

Bari
Catania
Dubrovnik
Heraklion
Kos
Lanzarote
Malta
Paphos
Seville
Thessaloniki
Amsterdam
Dalaman
Faro
Ibiza
Malaga
Marrakesh
Palma
Rhodes
Tenerife
Venice
Glasgow
Manchester
Alicante
Antalya
Bordeaux
Cagliari
Gran Canaria
Larnaca
Menorca
Nice
Turin
Verona
Milan Malpensa
Santorini
Athens
Berlin
Madrid

Remaining at LGW (Off sale)

Bilbao
Geneva
Genoa
Grenoble
Rome
Salzburg

Gatwick Short-Haul Routes W22

Moved to LHR

Algiers
Funchal
Jersey
Porto
Naples
Tirana

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond

Can’t see this elsewhere.

Following an email from the unions it appears that a new short haul, wholly owned subsidiary, is planned for Summer 2022 at Gatwick.

More details will be available soon I guess.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Aug 26, 2021 at 6:12 am
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:41 am

Let's go fly!
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:52 am

It'd be quite curious if it wasn't just a "BA Express for BA" scenario like IB, the BA brand is very strong for the ex-UK markets that Gatwick targets and with it's premium offerings it can target a different set of passengers than Easyjet and the ever increasing amount of Wizz & Ryanair flights moving in to replace Virgin & Norwegian. They can always use Vueling for cheapo capacity on ex-Spain routes if required like they do already
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyg901
… with it's premium offerings it can target a different set of passengers than Easyjet and the ever increasing amount of Wizz & Ryanair flights moving in to replace Virgin & Norwegian
I can’t imagine there are going to be too many bells and whistles.
IAMORGAN and alvinlwh like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Reading between the lines - it looks like Heathow will be the 'premium' airport and may include many of the Gatwick services which have moved - and Gatwick will have a new LCC style proposition to compete against the likes of Wizz, Ryanair and easyJet.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:51 am

I know this forum is more concerned with the brand of champagne served on board than with the livelihood of those affected by this proposed change, but I'd like to spare a thought for those affected. In my opinion, the "Gatwick Ground Service-ification" of LGW crew base is pretty clear to be seen.

A fully-owned subsidiary means being TUPE'd across to this "Gatwick Air Services" entity, and bye-bye to the few benefits that came with the job. GGS employees, when they moved from BA to Swissport (and thence to Aviator and thence to GGS) lost staff travel and had their T&Cs progressively eroded.
ALW, prof, IAMORGAN and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:53 am

By-product of this (I assume) is that Gold Priority Reward won’t work for LGW flights (like it doesn’t for LCY). Bit of a pain.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by luxurytravelled
Reading between the lines - it looks like Heathow will be the 'premium' airport and may include many of the Gatwick services which have moved - and Gatwick will have a new LCC style proposition to compete against the likes of Wizz, Ryanair and easyJet.
Sounds like Level UK or Vueling UK to me
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
It'd be quite curious if it wasn't just a "BA Express for BA" scenario like IB, the BA brand is very strong for the ex-UK markets that Gatwick targets and with it's premium offerings it can target a different set of passengers than Easyjet and the ever increasing amount of Wizz & Ryanair flights moving in to replace Virgin & Norwegian. They can always use Vueling for cheapo capacity on ex-Spain routes if required like they do already
So a middle brand between BA and Vueling? Is there much space between BA Y and Vueling anyway?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Sounds like Level UK or Vueling UK to me
Why though? Vueling isn't a strong brand in the UK and they have used LEVEL to put pressure on Air France, Lufthansa etc - not to put downward pressure on IAG hubs.

My gut feeling is that it will be based on BA brand, like city flyer. But not clear how that works legally - presumably the unions have some kind of agreement that CF can't operate A320family or larger to stop them competing with main crew?

We have the letter and have quoted it in our article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...ill-take-over/
yellow_peril and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:08 am

If it’s Vueling UK, likely because they want a UK AOC (Air Operator’s Certificate) given the current UK-EASA licensing issues.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rhysflies
Why though? Vueling isn't a strong brand in the UK and they have used LEVEL to put pressure on Air France, Lufthansa etc - not to put downward pressure on IAG hubs.
IAG did use LEVEL in AMS against Vueling pilots, who insisted that all Vueling pilots have to be based in Spain and under local T&C's. However over the pandemic, the 5 short haul LEVEL A32x's which were based at AMS and VIE have been returned to Vueling. Long haul LEVEL France (nee OpenSkies) has been shut down, so I don't see LEVEL coming back to life.

Its likely to be some thing along the lines of "BA Gatwickflyer" or maybe the resurrection of "British Airways Limited" we say at LCY for a while.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
“[Insert brand name here] by British Airways”?

(a la Doubletree by Hilton, Courtyard by Marriott etc)
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hasn't BA already punished their own staff enough? They've already slashed pretty much everything from a customer perspective, so what else is there to gain from a new subsidiary?

The whole point of a BA Gatwick short haul operation is to attract those who are price and status sensitive. (and those who have a locational preference for LGW) I already have the choice of Vueling and I already choose the most convenient/best-priced of Easyjet, Ryanair, etc. because I know there's no practical difference. Bring in a BA Express and there's either no practical difference to BA mainline (so why bother?) or it's too close to Easyjet and people will choose based on price/convenience. (so doomed to fail like Go)
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
IAG did use LEVEL in AMS against Vueling pilots, who insisted that all Vueling pilots have to be based in Spain and under local T&C's. However over the pandemic, the 5 short haul LEVEL A32x's which were based at AMS and VIE have been returned to Vueling. Long haul LEVEL France (nee OpenSkies) has been shut down, so I don't see LEVEL coming back to life.

Its likely to be some thing along the lines of "BA Gatwickflyer" or maybe the resurrection of "British Airways Limited" we say at LCY for a while.
LEVEL Spain (longhaul) is still around - just about...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.