Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caught between BA and AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Caught between BA and AA

Not really sure what to do after going back and forth between BA and AA multiple times. Bought tickets last November from FRA to LAS and back on ba.com, which were change many time do to cancellations. Because the return flight BA 274 from LAS to LHR was cancelled yesterday, I was able to rebook to AA via DFW to FRA.

For the flight over to the US, I booked an HBO fare, for the return flight regular Economy with baggage and seat selection at check-in included, which should translate to AA Main Cabin. On ba.com, everything looks fine, but on aa.com, it shows only as Basic Economy. I've now spoken three times each to BA and AA. BA claims everything is fine and that the return is in regular economy, evidenced by the fact that luggage is included, which is also shown on the e-mail confirmation and checkmytrip. AA claims the ticket nevertheless has a "Basic Economy designator" although they are also able to see somewhere in another system that it includes luggage. BA is of the opinion that everything should work out fine a check-in and that we should be able to select seats at OLCI. AA says there won't be OLCI on TATL flights. In my third attempt with AA, they called BA to get this sorted, while I waited on the phone. The AA agent claims that BA is unable to admit to the mistake they made when reissuing the tickets and that there is nothing else to be done over the phone.

They suggest to get this sorted at check-in. Currently, we are assigned four random middle seats in the back and if AA continues to see this as Basic Economy, we might be stuck with these, even if we manage to sort out the luggage situation. Seems risky to me to leave this till the last minute, but on the other hand it seems I've tried all I can. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
worst case scenario: sit in the middle and pay for the luggage - call Bremen afterwards and ask for the refund of the payment and compensation for the middleseat.

but i cant imagine Bremen wasnt able to fix that. do you know by chance with whom you spoke? was it Bremen or UK?

Last edited by Nephoi; Jul 23, 2021 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nephoi
worst case scenario: sit in the middle and pay for the luggage - call Bremen afterwards and ask for the refund of the payment and compensation for the middleseat.

but i cant imagine Bremen wasnt able to fix that. do you know by chance with whom you spoke? was it Bremen or UK?
Thank you, yes was Bremen. I made the calls in German and they had that nice northern accent. They were fantastic, but see no issue with the ticket at all that they could fix. My guess is that the issue is with AA. I also selected German with AA. Are the English-speaking AA agents typically more knowlegable? One lady I spoke with was German, one guy had an American accent, so not sure where they are based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.