Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help regarding seats on BA 788

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:02 am
Original Poster

help regarding seats on BA 788

will be flying from PHL to LHR in september on a BA 788 in business class. we are a family of 6 with 4 children (10, 6, 3, and just barely 2). I'm a little concerned about how we are going to do this. The 2 year old will turn 2 in august so will they allow him to be on our laps during takeoff and landing? there is no way he'll sit down in his seat without getting up, and considering how BAs business class is, it seems like it'll be more difficult to keep an eye on him?

also, if i bite the damn bullet and pay $2k to reserve seats (both ways) which seats would you select? i flew BA j class a while back so i forget what are the best seats for families, and i've never been on the 788

the closer this trip gets the more anxious i'm getting about it.. traveling with 4 kids aint easy
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Here's the main thread for seating queries and pics of the 788

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner - FlyerTalk Forums

These two are also very helpful for this query

Introducing aeroLOPA: a new portfolio of detailed BA cabin layout plans - FlyerTalk Forums
BA Boeing 787-8 - aeroLOPA | Detailed aircraft seat plans
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
He will have to sit in his seat, if you remain calm then he should as well, if he screams then so be it, he is not the first or will he be the last who does. It’s really important that you accept this and the threads above will give you some useful advice.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also just to let you know that all your children would have to wear a face mask unless the US Federal Mask Mandate is not lifted by then.
It might be a bit weird but the US Federal Law requires everyone over 2 to wear a mask onboard all flights to/from the USA.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
He will have to sit in his seat, if you remain calm then he should as well, if he screams then so be it, he is not the first or will he be the last who does. It’s really important that you accept this and the threads above will give you some useful advice.
not worried about him screaming.. worried about him getting out of his seat..
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also just to let you know that all your children would have to wear a face mask unless the US Federal Mask Mandate is not lifted by then.
It might be a bit weird but the US Federal Law requires everyone over 2 to wear a mask onboard all flights to/from the USA.
we are definitely going to try our best with this. the 3 year old wears it with no problems. the almost 2 year old obviously rips it right off. i shouldve booked this trip in august, before he turns 2.. could have saved on the seat, got free seat selection, and he wouldn't have had to wear a mask lol
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
He will be ok but he will take his lead from you, I’m sure you will do just fine.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:21 pm

Seats wise on a 788 I'd aim for 6 & 7 A, B, D OR 6 & 7 K, J, F

Elder kids in the window, Parents in the aisle, younger kids in the other aisle. That way you're there for all your kid's needs and the younger kids will be sat where you can see them, won't need to step over people, and they'll be facing the direction of travel. The older kids will sit backwards but shouldn't be freaked by that and they have a sort of private cabin.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP’s flight is cancelled so he can have a choice on AA and save the seat fees
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
OP’s flight is cancelled so he can have a choice on AA and save the seat fees
yup. Thankfully I hadn’t paid to select seats. And if I’m able to choose the flight I want (on an AA 789) I’ll have much better seats
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every cloud
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Called AA and it’s not showing up as cancelled on their end yet.. wonder how long before it does
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by omaralt
Called AA and it’s not showing up as cancelled on their end yet.. wonder how long before it does
Usually takes 3-5 days based on my experience last month.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Not sure the AA 789 has better seating options for families travelling with very small children though. Keeping an eye of them and keeping them strapped in would seem harder in those J seats?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Not sure the AA 789 has better seating options for families travelling with very small children though. Keeping an eye of them and keeping them strapped in would seem harder in those J seats?
you're right it doesnt. for some reason i thought the two center seats would be good; but i would think an aisle and middle would be easier. honestly at this point if they have any available economy seats i may sit with him in economy for takeoff and landing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.