Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Source [thebasource.com] to close 30th June 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Source [thebasource.com] to close 30th June 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver - QF Lifetime Silver
I can assure you that that Korham Eker has/never has had any involvement with thebasource.com/
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:50 pm

Will be a real shame to lose such a valuable resource. I wonder if maintenance of the site is time intensive? I assume the newsfeed will be an automated script.

If its purely down to financial resources, then surely it could be saved with community contributions. If its down to other reasons like time, change of circumstances, or a loss of love for the project, I wonder if the owner would be willing to hand it over to the community, rather than see it go completely. It could be run by a few volunteers on a not for profit basis. I'm sure there are many of us on FT who are tech savvy enough to play a part.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Before I head off for my "tin hat" do our members think that the VS Source will go the same way - I use the BA one much, much more but on the odd time dip into the VS one too.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Before I head off for my "tin hat" do our members think that the VS Source will go the same way - I use the BA one much, much more but on the odd time dip into the VS one too.
Its going the same way. The front page shows Weve had a good run but the VS Source will be closing on 30th June.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighterside
Yes. The VS Source ? Virgin Atlantic News and Information
We’ve had a good run but the VS Source will be closing on 30th June.

Historic tracker pages will be disabled from 25th June.

In July the site will be taken to Victorville for part out and scrap.

Thank you to everybody who has visited, contributed news, sponsored an aircraft and especially those who donated in December 2020 to enable us to continue for as long as possible in 2021.
Over the years there were other "thexxsource.com". sites. Have been closing over the years but only 3 now left (BA, QF VS). There used to be link to the other sources. Would take time & money to keep these sites alive. I have his email address. He likely/may be a FT poster, but do not know his FT screen name.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. The VS Source ? Virgin Atlantic News and Information
Over the years there were other "thexxsource.com". sites. Have been closing over the years but only 3 now left (BA, QF VS). There used to be link to the other sources. Would take time & money to keep these sites alive. I have his email address. He likely/may be a FT poster, but do not know his FT screen name.
Any idea of the costs involved, roughly?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
Id be willing to pitch in to keep it going, specifically the QF source. Major source of information not held elsewhere IMO
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jack Union
I wonder if maintenance of the site is time intensive? I assume the newsfeed will be an automated script.
I'm not how you could automate the receipt of information from assorted sources, including passengers like me, and the writing and re-writing of articles accordingly.
Originally Posted by Jack Union
If its purely down to financial resources, then surely it could be saved with community contributions.
Originally Posted by nancypants
Id be willing to pitch in to keep it going, specifically the QF source.
For years, there has been a way for us users to support the BA Source by sponsoring individual aircraft. Clearly, many users who found the site valuable didn't think that it was worth supporting the venture then.

In November last year, aircraft sponsors were sent an email that said:
Thank you for sponsoring [your aircraft] at The BA Source during 2020.

As it has been a uniquely tough year for BA so it has been for thebasource.com. With the BA flying programme severely reduced our site traffic and advertising revenue have reduced dramatically. Since many of our JetSponsors work in the airline and travel industries and will have had an equally tough year and because as things stand we cannot guarantee that we will be able to keep running the website throughout 2021 we will not be running a JetSponsor 2021 programme for aircraft sponsorship.

In the meantime all 2020 sponsorships will remain on the relevant aircraft pages and with the withdrawal of the Boeing 747-400 fleet your name will remain on [your aircraft] page for as long as it remains live. Additionally you can choose an active aircraft which we will be pleased to add your name to - perhaps you could let us know if you have a favourite alternative. If we are able to keep running through 2021 we will re-start JetSponsor for 2022 and will contact you again in November 2021.

If you havent had a tough year and you wish to contribute towards the running of the site you can do so by clicking the link below. All monies will go towards keeping the site online for as long as possible although we must stress that it wont guarantee our survival throughout next year.

http://thebasource.com/ba-source-2021/
That page, which was available to everyone, said (and still says):
JetSponsor 2021

We will not be running a JetSponsor 2021 programme for aircraft sponsorship as with the downturn in air traffic and consequent downturn in web traffic and advertising revenue we cannot guarantee that thebasource.com will survive the next twelve months.

All 2020 sponsorships will remain in place.

If things do turn around in 2021 then we will resume the JetSponsor programme for 2022.

Should you wish to contribute towards the running of the site you can do so by clicking the link below, however we must make clear again that while this will enable us to continue operating thebasource.com we cannot guarantee to keep running throughout 2021.
If I remember correctly, the main pages of the site had similar messages and requests for financial support. If you used the site, you would have seen these messages.

If we, collectively, don't chip in to help ventures like this when they need our help, it is really very little use wringing our hands afterwards - when it is too late - and saying "I'd love to help to keep it running". The time for doing so was then, not now.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There's a LOT of information on this site, so if it does close down I hope it's archived (in a better form than just the general web.archive.org site). It has news articles going back to May 1989 Archives | The BA Source
I think many of us might have missed the calls for help mainly because they weren't using the site as much also because of the downturn in traffic.
It'll be sad to see it go, if there's still a chance to save it then let's get the donations it needs or maybe people can sponsor in other ways such as hosting.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If we, collectively, don't chip in to help ventures like this when they need our help, it is really very little use wringing our hands afterwards - when it is too late - and saying "I'd love to help to keep it running". The time for doing so was then, not now.
Too true. Sad to see BASource fold but its the same principle as Woolworths in the UK. We all lamented it closing but werent supporting it enough prior to that.
Thanks to all involved for keeping the website running for so long.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
May explain it as ironically my usage of it has surged post pandemic (dont recall ever using the Qantas source prior), appears the sponsorship program was closed by then 😔
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
The BA Source - RIP

Just realised the wonderful 'The BA Source' website finishes today. See: The BA Source - British Airways News & Information

Always a marvellous place for information on BA planes, seat maps, etc. I for one for miss this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:07 am

Just downloaded and saved the pages from my faviourite aircraft. Sad to see this site go. Contributed info a few times myself...
fartoomanyusers and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Just come across this closure also. Another loss. 😭
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Website Message

"The BA Source has now been withdrawn from service.

Thank you to everybody who has sent kind words over the past two weeks and anybody who has contributed in any way over the years.

Happy Flying."
ttama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.