Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays deposit - refund if flights changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I have a flight+hotel package booked with BA Holidays to NYC for end of May. We can no longer travel (irrespective of restrictions being lifted). I have paid only a £350 deposit. I understand that ordinarily this would be non-refundable; however, a few weeks ago BA cancelled our flights and re-booked us on to alternative flights (outbound c. 4 hours earlier; in-bound c 1 hour earlier). I did not "accept" these on Manage My Booking.

Can we cancel & obtain refund on the basis the flights are no longer suitable? FWIW, the idea was to work and then fly and the new outbound flight means we'd need a day off so it is more than a little inconvenience. Anyone know the policy on this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, you can call, cancel, take a cash refund. All this and loads more help in the excellent Wiki

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Strictly speaking it's a 12 hour difference for BAH, so not as generous as BA flights only. So you best ask for a FTV three weeks before departure, and if your hotel was non refundable you may not see much of that back if the Presidential Proclamation is rescinded. More details in the main Cancel / Rebook thread. As things stand, however, you should get an FTV for the £350.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Strictly speaking it's a 12 hour difference for BAH, so not as generous as BA flights only. .
Sorry, I thought a cancellation of your flight triggers refund - this won't be a re-time of flight, this will be presumably, a straight cancellation and offering a different flight ?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Sorry, I thought a cancellation of your flight triggers refund - this won't be a re-time of flight, this will be presumably, a straight cancellation and offering a different flight ?
The Conditions of Carriage for BAH says 12 hours. See section 8.3. They are allowed to just rebook you. Whereas for BA flights all cancellations are significant changes which enable a refund.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Package holiday terms and conditions apply as there are no individual component rules for the flight ticket as they don't sell flight tickets as a stand alone product.

T&C's covering BAH bookings

8.3. We are only liable to you for cancellations or significant changes to your booking by us. A significant change is one that we make to your booking before your departure that affects an essential term of your contract. Examples of a significant change includes changes by us to:
  • your destination area;
  • your booked accommodation to that of an alternative property of a lower rating;
  • your departure times or accommodation occupancy periods by more than 12 hours.

Full BA holiday T&C's can be found HERE
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies for the duff info OP! I guess I’ve only been a victim of flight cancellations where there wasn’t an alternative allowing a straight refund.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Strictly speaking it's a 12 hour difference for BAH, so not as generous as BA flights only. So you best ask for a FTV three weeks before departure, and if your hotel was non refundable you may not see much of that back if the Presidential Proclamation is rescinded. More details in the main Cancel / Rebook thread. As things stand, however, you should get an FTV for the £350.
thank you. What’s the reason for the 3 weeks (as opposed to now, or nearer to the departure date)?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by oceanscape
thank you. What’s the reason for the 3 weeks (as opposed to now, or nearer to the departure date)?
Three weeks is the formal BWC timeline, so when you get near to that it would be easier to rung up BAH and say "can't enter USA, can I have a refund please?". I wouldn't do it after the three week cut-off, maybe they will allow it now (?). There is a separate requirement for the BAH booking to be viable as a holiday, there is a chance BA will just cancel your booking anyway.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by oceanscape
3 weeks prior to travel is also when the balance amount would normally be collected on your trip so better to cut your losses before this happens and take the FTV for the deposit amount.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Having called BA Holidays to refund a booking with several flight cancellations earlier (60 min wait via the Gold line, 45 mins was announced at the start of the call), I was surprised to read they have a different policy, the lovely person I spoke to in NCL said no problem he'd cancel and refund straight away.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:56 am

The Conditions of Carriage for BAH says 12 hours. See section 8.3. They are allowed to just rebook you. Whereas for BA flights all cancellations are significant changes which enable a refund.
BAH will allow a full refund if a flight is cancelled.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
We have managed to get a cash refund of a BAH after the flight from GLA to LGW was changed. Basically the flight was moved by 10 minutes but it had a new flight number so technically our first leg had been cancelled. After we got our refund the onward flight from LGW was cancelled anyway.
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:21 am

It's good that they're doing so and being extremely flexible towards customers in this way. This has always been my experience too pre covid, however as you can see that as per their T&C's there's no obligation for them to be so flexible.
​​​​​
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
It's good that they're doing so and being extremely flexible towards customers in this way. This has always been my experience too pre covid, however as you can see that as per their T&C's there's no obligation for them to be so flexible.
​​​​​
Agreed! All our 7 cancellations (4 of which were BAH) were fully refunded promptly and painlessly. A great confidence-booster when considering future trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.