Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays deposit - refund if flights changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays deposit - refund if flights changed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
It's good that they're doing so and being extremely flexible towards customers in this way. This has always been my experience too pre covid, however as you can see that as per their T&C's there's no obligation for them to be so flexible.
​​​​​
I agree that BAH are generally very flexible indeed and over the past year have become my favourite TA by far (now if only they did proper ski packages...).

But the 12 hour thing does seem an anomaly and I wonder how secure they would be if they ever tried to enforce it. I don't think 'significant change' is clearly defined in the Package Travel Regulations, but a holiday that was meant to get in early one evening, and now gets in very early the following morning would seem to fit the definition, if you're losing a nights stay.

Plus your own parent company (ie BA) is allowing refunds on a far more flexible basis.

So while BAH remain flexible all well and good, but I suspect the rule could be open to challenge as an unreasonable interpretation of what is 'significant'
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I agree that BAH are generally very flexible indeed and over the past year have become my favourite TA by far (now if only they did proper ski packages...).

But the 12 hour thing does seem an anomaly and I wonder how secure they would be if they ever tried to enforce it. I don't think 'significant change' is clearly defined in the Package Travel Regulations, but a holiday that was meant to get in early one evening, and now gets in very early the following morning would seem to fit the definition, if you're losing a nights stay.

Plus your own parent company (ie BA) is allowing refunds on a far more flexible basis.

So while BAH remain flexible all well and good, but I suspect the rule could be open to challenge as an unreasonable interpretation of what is 'significant'

They're predominantly there to satisfy ABTA and ATOL that the tour operator is compliant within their individual spheres of practice. The company I used to work for had a similar blanket T&C's to satisfy the package legislation and these had to be provided within every brochure and attached to every booking but in reality we operated on far more flexible terms from a customer perspective. If an airline would allow changes/refunds due to their own booking policies, these would be passed on to the client. We weren't into exploiting the situation. However they do provide a base coverage and point of reference. You might be surprised by how many people would try it on for compensation for a 20 minute flight reschedule.... or indeed you might not. You've then got other companies who would use these blanket t&c's to the absolute limit and exploit customers for all they're worth. Finding a reputable tour operator is worth its weight in gold and from my own experience BAH is one of the good guys.
ratechaser and Keystone like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
I have a flight+hotel package booked with BA Holidays to NYC for end of May. We can no longer travel (irrespective of restrictions being lifted). I have paid only a £350 deposit. I understand that ordinarily this would be non-refundable; however, a few weeks ago BA cancelled our flights and re-booked us on to alternative flights (outbound c. 4 hours earlier; in-bound c 1 hour earlier). I did not "accept" these on Manage My Booking.

Can we cancel & obtain refund on the basis the flights are no longer suitable? FWIW, the idea was to work and then fly and the new outbound flight means we'd need a day off so it is more than a little inconvenience. Anyone know the policy on this?

Thanks in advance!
I think that people have misunderstood this. It sounds as though the flights were cancelled and alternative flights were added but not accepted by the OP. The 12 hours would refer to schedule changes rather than a cancelled flight. So therefore the option for cancelled flight is accept alternative flights or take full refund.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This was my point above, but I then doubted myself!
Anonba likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.