Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How will BA react to JetBlue getting LHR slots for S21?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will BA react to JetBlue getting LHR slots for S21?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It’s definitely a YMMV situation. It’s obviously far easier to get in and out of the seats, and have F&B delivered when facing outward vs the the window situation re looking out and the feeling of space that provides.

Personally I’d take the window option vs the ease of access, ultimately neither is going to have a slight impact on me booking if, assuming all other factors are equal, one is priced £10 less than the other
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:46 am

Perhaps going against established wisdom, but I would argue that small, limited competition from B6 at LHR will actually work in BA’s favour. They are constantly trying to demonstrate to competition authorities that London is a dynamic, competitive market and that this means the authorities should look the other way in relation to their legalised cartel (sorry, ‘joint business’). With Norwegian gone, this task has become harder. But if a new entrant can jump in, it suddenly works again.

They’ll only start to properly worry if B6
a) do particularly well
b) grow fast or big
c) have a consistent depressing effect on fares - but not so much that they themselves have to withdraw

I have a suspicion B6 will do quite well - they have a committed loyal following (in the US at least) that should be able to fill a couple of narrowbodies a day. If they can keep their service standards of course, but they’re a very well run airline and I suspect this will be the least of their worries.

To be honest, it’s VS I worry for most with this move.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:18 am

I wonder if the UK Amex users will will get JetBlue TrueBlue as a transfer partner once the service is up and running? I think they have them as a U.S. transfer partner.
ENTP likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:17 am

Am I the only one that doesn't like the fact that JetBlue's IFE needs to be stowed away for TTOL? It's one of the selling points of Club Suite for me.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
But, mind you don't strain your neck too much whilst twisting to look out of the window of that seat that is angled away from the window...
I think your opinions are valid, but this perceived issue doesn't seem too bad to me - the window is pretty close to your head.

Good luck to B6 on this route. I've flown MINT a few times NYC-SEA/LAX, and it was superb (especially the food and service).
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
The question still is how long will B6 have these slots for? If its just for S21 then no one will worry as B6 will have to hand them back and pull out or spend a small fortune buying slots.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:22 am

Many interesting POVs here, some of which I might even agree with.

I think B6 will do quite well, but I don't see it expanding so much as to be significantly troubling for BA. One of the things against B6 as it expands is lack of alliance membership. That hasn't held them back whilst their service area has been pretty much restricted to North America, but once one starts playing in the global arena it becomes harder to expand without being an alliance member. I'm not saying they won't be the exception that proves the rule, but it's going to be a tough fight to become more of a global airline without that. My 1p/2c worth. YMMV.

rb211.
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:39 am

As a very regular premium traveller to NYC, whilst I like the product a lot, the late arrival time in NYC is a big disadvantage for myself.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by argonath
As a very regular premium traveller to NYC, whilst I like the product a lot, the late arrival time in NYC is a big disadvantage for myself.
Different strokes and everything... for me, an evening departure from London works very well with a day in the office, flight after work with plentiful drinks (not having to work...), quick LIRR into town, walk to hotel and straight to bed. Similarly, in the other direction, the later the flight from NYC the better, as it helps me sleep on what can be a horribly short flight. I don’t mind landing mid-morning.
seanp7, VSLover, Tafflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by RB211
Many interesting POVs here, some of which I might even agree with.

I think B6 will do quite well, but I don't see it expanding so much as to be significantly troubling for BA. One of the things against B6 as it expands is lack of alliance membership. That hasn't held them back whilst their service area has been pretty much restricted to North America, but once one starts playing in the global arena it becomes harder to expand without being an alliance member. I'm not saying they won't be the exception that proves the rule, but it's going to be a tough fight to become more of a global airline without that. My 1p/2c worth. YMMV.

rb211.
Virgin Atlantic survived for many years without being in any alliance. Well, it didn't do as well as Emirates. I see alliance being less relevant nowadays - the joint business like AFKL+DL+VS or UA+AC+LHg or BAAA things matter the most. As BA said, travellers on routes like JFK demands frequent departure times more than the product itself. B6 won't be able to have a lot of landing slots at LHR at this stage so it'll be a small niche choice outside of BAAA/UA/DLVS.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just (06/04) got a teaser email from JetBlue stating sale of tickets 'starting soon'

The food options look exciting though....
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Duck1981
...The food options look exciting though....
Don't they, food in Y served on china! And the mini Maldon sea salt tin in J, Michel Gonet Champagne...
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
JetBlue now have a London page on their website here -

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/london

The economy class offering ("coach") looks good. Order your food from your screen, free meals, free drinks including booze, free high speed Wi-Fi for the flight, and a Club Kitchen-like thing called the Pantry for the folks down the back to grab snacks during flight. Looks pretty sweet all round, including the sample menu.

With only 114 seats in economy, I'm guessing they will ditch the trolley service, and run service by hand from the orders on the screens. I think it might be a huge shake up which will show passengers what can be done on a flight in economy.

I'm already itching for their pricing to come out
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Really hoping for one way economy fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.