Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BAeuro
The outsourcing of all ground staff is sad too, although not unexpected given they did this with the underwing operations. It’s a shame though as they won’t care as much as when they worked for BA and it will feel more like an outstation than a London airport.
If you mean the transfer of contracts to Gatwick Ground Services, GGS Ltd. is actually a wholly owned BA subsidiary, so they would technically still be BA staff, with retained seniority, but with reduced 'non-airline subsidiary' benefits. It's more of a shell game, and yes, it can affect morale, but not as much as actual outsourcing.

The subsidiary can of course be later sold off and/or the employees TUPEd to another company, but whether that's planned or not I have no idea.

I too worked for a 'non-airline subsidiary' of BA in JAX - Teleflight Ltd. We were/weren't BA depending on what BA needed...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
If the primary differentiator for most pax is price, then why would BA close down its ops at LGW and move them to LHR thus increasing operating costs and eroding margin?

BA need seats filled once the recovery starts, so surely it would make sense to maintain some operations where you can operate with lower costs?

If BA need to fill slots at LHR, surely the best way forward would be to downsize at Gatwick and move some of the less price sensitive routes to LHR? So we could well see most, if not all routes, being operated from one or the other.

Prices may not automatically increase if a route moves from LGW to LHR. If they did, then that would suggest a low price elasticity of demand for BA fares, which we know isn’t the case due to the enhancements down the back and unbundling of fares. Upfront, we may see prices increase slightly due to the premium attached to a LHR departure and an increase in demand for seats from connecting traffic.

When the economy does recover, it’d be far easier to expand quickly at LGW again, having maintained a more streamlined operation than a complete withdrawal.

A rationalisation of the cabin crew fleets makes absolute sense in terms of operational efficiency and cost reduction. Surely this would’ve been a necessary next step for Cruz and his hatchets despite the pandemic and can only be a good thing for the future prospects of BA.

The company needs to shed cost now but maintain an ability to quickly expand again, but do so at a lower cost than it does today. Conceding territory at LGW is only going to increase competitive pressures once the economy grows again in the mid to long term.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Also to add...what happened to the Monarch slots? Didn’t BA take those? What happens to those now?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Also to add...what happened to the Monarch slots? Didn’t BA take those? What happens to those now?
So BA took most on, with some more going to the other IAG members (Vueling, LEVEL...). They also lent some to Qatar I believe, so that they could start LGW-DOH.

Thomas Cook were leasing a bunch but I guess they’ve been returned to IAG since they failed.

There’s so many slots at LGW it would seem ridiculous to pull out altogether.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I have just had a look out of interest and these are the BA routes at LGW which are also served by LHR:

Amsterdam
Cape Town
Corfu
Dalaman
Edinburgh
Faro
Geneva
Glasgow
Grenoble
Ibiza
Innsbruck
Larnaca
Las Vegas
Malaga
Marrakesh
New York JFK
Nice
Palma de Mallorca
Rhodes
Rome
Salzburg
Tenerife South
Toronto
Venice
Vienna
Paris...??
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
IAG has the potential to build a new hub at Gatwick for Vueling or LEVEL.
With a new subsidiary ( LEVEL UK ), they could easily open routes to the Caribbean, New York, etc... with Premium Economy and Economy only aircraft ( re-configure older BA 777-200's or purchase new aircraft ) and they could easily serve most of the seasonal routes with their A320 aircraft. And, they could move all essential operations to Heathrow.

Plus they could close their LGW lounges and save tons of money.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Paris...??
That’s served by Vueling (LGW-CDG), not BA.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Paris is operated by VY.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
IAG has the potential to build a new hub at Gatwick for Vueling or LEVEL.
With a new subsidiary ( LEVEL UK ), they could easily open routes to the Caribbean, New York, etc... with Premium Economy and Economy only aircraft ( re-configure older BA 777-200's or purchase new aircraft ) and they could easily serve most of the seasonal routes with their A320 aircraft. And, they could move all essential operations to Heathrow.

Plus they could close their LGW lounges and save tons of money.
IAG could do that, but it'd incur further costs in the rebranding exercise and reconfiguring a fleet of 772s which have only just been refurbished. Vueling and Level don't have a strong brand in the UK, so they'd incur further costs in increasing brand awareness and their average revenue per seat would be lower. The UK market is willing to pay more for BA seats due to the strength of its brand and its loyalty scheme. Remove that and they'll be competing pretty much solely on price from Gatwick.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:29 am

My guess, BA would not want to completely give up Gatwick for now just in case there is rapid recovery. If not and the aviation industry is seriously downsized for the long term - then all bets are off.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:09 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Malli1
As a Northerner using BA holidays to the Caribbean, I can’t say I would be disappointed if the move to Heathrow was longer term. I mean, I could at least use the shuttle!
Me too as a Manchester based flyer all Caribbean slots and Jersey to LHR would be brilliant
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:43 am
Suspended

There are so many significant unknowns it really is a guessing game. It’s wait and see what happens to Virgin, Norwegian and TUI at LGW. If some of BA’s densified B772s are needed at LHR, that’s also a big question mark.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW Caribbean Routes

... and I'll add a few others like CPT as well.

There's obviously a strong Summer demand for s/h flights to Europe [especially the Mediterranean] but there's also a large l/h Leisure market to sunny places in the Winter. KIN, BGI, ANU, UVF, CPT/JNB and the like attract, IME, full aircraft year-round ... despite the current price levels on those routes. BA will need to keep them operating, once Borders re-open, although I do acknowledge that post-Covid there may be fewer people willing/able to pay for it. Remember that a lot of pax, especially in Y, are nationals visiting family to/from UK.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker
IAG could do that, but it'd incur further costs in the rebranding exercise and reconfiguring a fleet of 772s which have only just been refurbished. Vueling and Level don't have a strong brand in the UK, so they'd incur further costs in increasing brand awareness and their average revenue per seat would be lower. The UK market is willing to pay more for BA seats due to the strength of its brand and its loyalty scheme. Remove that and they'll be competing pretty much solely on price from Gatwick.
You are absolutely right at some point, the people in the UK are willing to pay more to BA for the brand name ( Eg. Honeymooners paying extra to fly BA + PG via BKK to HKT instead of cheaper QR fares via DOH, then these people complain about seat fees in CW or being separated because they haven't paid for seats )

However, similar to the IB - LEVEL relationship, BA could easily sell LEVEL flights under the BA code.
Iberia wiped out BCN operations and transferred their ops to Vueling, and people who specifically want to fly Iberia, now fly via MAD.
BA could easily remove all their LGW inventory and passengers who specifically want to fly BA would drive to Heathrow.

By the way, my suggestion could also be done under a brand name like " XXXXXX by British Airways " rather than the brand of Vueling or LEVEL.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:12 am

Just a word from the inside at BA. The “closing Gatwick” one's been doing the rounds for a while. It's all part of project fear. Internal sources have confirmed there's no plan to close the base entirely, but it's likely to be a smaller operation. They'd be mad to close it and give up all the slots to the competition.

The BBC headline has twisted what was actually in the memo. All it said is we cannot be sure when it will be reopened.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; May 1, 2020 at 7:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.