Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley
Just to be sure, if we make gold by 8 June, then we have Gold to June 8 2023? Or is it June 8 2024? (got lost in all those announcements).
​​​​​​​If you make gold by 8 Jun 22, you will have it for the rest of the current year (which is until 31 July 22) and the following year - so up 31 Jul 23.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:05 pm

Last minute I know, but I've had one hell of a year so far, so no time for fun things like holiday planning.

Anyone seen any good options for the 2 x TP holiday runs? Don't really care too much about location, just a good 7 day option to trigger the bonus. I ask as I just got the email about the sale ending tonight.

Edit Marrakesh maybe?

Last edited by RG1X; Mar 28, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:33 pm

Seems I can do £1.57 per tier point. That seems relatively good? (given five nights in a hotel)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Any suggestions for £1/TP that would indirectly benefit LAX-LHR / LHR-LAX routing? Happy to do multiple stops both within the US and Europe.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Is anyone seeing anything good ex-EU to US or Asia for a run before August? Summer seems to have congested in the last couple of weeks and I fear I'll be spending a lot of time in Helsinki at this rate
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Mulitinovic
Is anyone seeing anything good ex-EU to US or Asia for a run before August? Summer seems to have congested in the last couple of weeks and I fear I'll be spending a lot of time in Helsinki at this rate
Dublin to San Francisco (either direct DUB-LHR-SFO or indirect DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO) is supposed to be on sale until 31 March for travel through 31 December. You should try that and see if anything is available, but maybe not this side of summer, but worth a try.
Mulitinovic likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC
So I'm doing the old SOF-SFO run via LHR-HEL-JFK in September. A few weeks ago, the LHR-HEL disappeared and never came back. Ignored it for a while and finally got round to calling AA (had booked online with AA as BA couldn't get it to book on the phone) to see what was wrong. Initially she said the flight was cancelled and tried to book me straight from LHR to SFO on BA, but as it's a point run, I asked her to try and get my initial routing to work. The flight (AY metal) was still running, but I guess the AA codeshare somehow disappeared. In the end, she got me on the same flight, now with a Finnair flight number. So I'm back to my initial routing.

Just wondering if I could have made life easier on myself and just accepted the LHR-SFO direct and then claimed ORC to match my initial booking. Any experience or views? Given that it's so far out, good chance there will be other AA flight changes and thought maybe I can take advantage of this if I get offered a more direct routing.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by RichieMc
So I'm doing the old SOF-SFO run via LHR-HEL-JFK in September. A few weeks ago, the LHR-HEL disappeared and never came back. Ignored it for a while and finally got round to calling AA (had booked online with AA as BA couldn't get it to book on the phone) to see what was wrong. Initially she said the flight was cancelled and tried to book me straight from LHR to SFO on BA, but as it's a point run, I asked her to try and get my initial routing to work. The flight (AY metal) was still running, but I guess the AA codeshare somehow disappeared. In the end, she got me on the same flight, now with a Finnair flight number. So I'm back to my initial routing.

Just wondering if I could have made life easier on myself and just accepted the LHR-SFO direct and then claimed ORC to match my initial booking. Any experience or views? Given that it's so far out, good chance there will be other AA flight changes and thought maybe I can take advantage of this if I get offered a more direct routing.

Lucky you didn't accept the direct routing and try and claim ORC - because it would have been denied! ORC is for changes very close to the actual flight, usually same day or a day or 2 before when a flight is cancelled and it is easier at that stage to take a more direct routing. Accepting something this far in advance (in your case September) would not qualify as an involuntary reroute and on those ground ORC would be denied. Easiest way to look at ORC is for flights within the next 48hrs, beyond that timeline it gets harder to argue.

Pilot37
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichieMc

I’m not sure if this would come under ORC.

On a TP run earlier in the year I was put onto a direct LHR-SFO flight due to the storms at the time and was able to claim ORC as a result.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Lucky you didn't accept the direct routing and try and claim ORC - because it would have been denied! ORC is for changes very close to the actual flight, usually same day or a day or 2 before when a flight is cancelled and it is easier at that stage to take a more direct routing. Accepting something this far in advance (in your case September) would not qualify as an involuntary reroute and on those ground ORC would be denied. Easiest way to look at ORC is for flights within the next 48hrs, beyond that timeline it gets harder to argue.

Pilot37
Thanks I thought that might be the case. Luck never really came into it. It never occurred to me to accept the rerouting on the phone as I wanted to get the TPs. It was only after the fact I wondered what might have been possible. And obviously I wouldn’t dream of charging ahead blindly without the counsel of this forum!!
LCSinTexas, Pilot37, RG1X and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have the circa £1100 SOF - West coast USA fares been pulled? Cant find anything lower than around £1800 now
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Have the circa £1100 SOF - West coast USA fares been pulled? Cant find anything lower than around £1800 now
It does appear that the cheapest fare is now around £1,600 via ITA Matrix into next year (taking the 180 day advance purchase into consideration). Perhaps fuel prices have played a part in them adjusting the base fare?

Pilot37
Komodromou likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
How far out are you looking?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by efincomputer
How far out are you looking?
I was looking mid November. Had a TP run priced yesterday SOF - LAS via LHR HEL and JFK for £1100 and it’s £2000 today
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:35 am

A number of fares appear to have disappeared - or, at least, risen significantly - in the last few days. On Sunday I booked a DUB-MSY (New Orleans) trip and paid £1,195; today the same routing on the same dates is £1,619.

The usual advice is not to hesitate when you find a fare you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.