Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Yep, agree with BA covid flexibility - but I much prefer the AA flexibility during IRROPS - all sorts of possibilities open up. My recent experience was to be put on a short hop on Delta and then transcon with Delta - arriving about 4hrs before AA could get me there. (plus TPs and avios eventually came through too) Swings, Roundabouts - as they say.
in case of IRROPS at the airport AA would help with your BA ticket too, no?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by rosswill
I have found with past bookings that using a TA can be advantageous where sometimes the point of sale, say New York, opens up additional I inventory on some busy routes such as the transcon services that are not available with UK-sold tickets.
The point of sale can also be selected directly with the airline by choosing which contact number you reach them through. E.g. AA and BA through the US contact numbers result in the point of sale being in the US. Same goes for having e.g. the UK as the point of sale. The point of sale also dictates the currency used. It's not something that's dependant on using a travel agent (TA or OTA).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
The point of sale can also be selected directly with the airline by choosing which contact number you reach them through. E.g. AA and BA through the US contact numbers result in the point of sale being in the US. Same goes for having e.g. the UK as the point of sale. The point of sale also dictates the currency used. It's not something that's dependant on using a travel agent (TA or OTA).
Thats good to know. I always assumed it was tied to a billing address or location.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
which was exactly my point, someway up the thread: 1 Feb things change.
it's 2nd Feb, while traveldoc.aero shows correct entry requirements, timatic seems to be not updated... and VeriFly demands a PCR test for my flight on Friday...

Note it has invalid transit rules too - nothing was and is required to transit.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:28 am

Not enjoying the new matrix site. Feels harder to navigate at first look.
HarbourGent and trolleymusic like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Not enjoying the new matrix site. Feels harder to navigate at first look.
Same here! I'm going to give it a go and see if it is just because its slightly different and I'm not 100% used to it yet. Seems to be pretty much the same as the older version but just laid out differently?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by lewincg
Same here! I'm going to give it a go and see if it is just because its slightly different and I'm not 100% used to it yet. Seems to be pretty much the same as the older version but just laid out differently?
I should add I'm actually highly appreciative of it existing still and grateful to the developers keeping it going. I'm pleasantly surprised Google haven't shut down the project but none the less the changes will take some getting used to. I will feedback directly but I'm definitely finding it harder to navigate in the latest form.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:19 am

I should add I'm actually highly appreciative of it existing still and grateful to the developers keeping it going. I'm pleasantly surprised Google haven't shut down the project but none the less the changes will take some getting used to. I will feedback directly but I'm definitely finding it harder to navigate in the latest form.
limiting search origin/destination to one country each really limits its use for me. i don't know why they would take away its best functionality.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:31 pm

I should add I'm actually highly appreciative of it existing still and grateful to the developers keeping it going. I'm pleasantly surprised Google haven't shut down the project
Unless I’ve misremembered, being allowed to keep it going was a condition of the wonderful developers who built it, when asked to transfer to GFS. Google agreed, because they wanted the people (they were really why they bought it).
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by megaloman
it's 2nd Feb, while traveldoc.aero shows correct entry requirements, timatic seems to be not updated... and VeriFly demands a PCR test for my flight on Friday...

Note it has invalid transit rules too - nothing was and is required to transit.
This was fixed this morning, but now Bulgaria is not a valid country in VeriFLY. In addition, despite a Green tick, I am forced to check in at the airport tomorrow.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
This was fixed this morning, but now Bulgaria is not a valid country in VeriFLY. In addition, despite a Green tick, I am forced to check in at the airport tomorrow.
It was indeed updated, I got the green tick in VeriFLY and was able to check-in for my tomorrow's flight to Sofia
Markie and Jase76 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:46 am

I've got a trip to the West Coast coming up, I want to book a preferred seat but do resent the c£300 cost of this for two. I'll be silver after the trip but won't make gold with current trips booked. Got me thinking are there any trips around Europe I could do in the next couple of weeks to get Silver (need 270 points) now and get closer to gold. Appreciate it will cost more than £300 but any pointers on routings I should be looking at?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Plu2370
I've got a trip to the West Coast coming up, I want to book a preferred seat but do resent the c£300 cost of this for two. I'll be silver after the trip but won't make gold with current trips booked. Got me thinking are there any trips around Europe I could do in the next couple of weeks to get Silver (need 270 points) now and get closer to gold. Appreciate it will cost more than £300 but any pointers on routings I should be looking at?
I'd look at a 80TP CE route from the regions - for example MAN-LHR-IST return would get you 240 TP return (dates 13/02 > 15/02) for £535 - Buy a positioning flight to MAN and hope for a POUG for an extra 40TP LHR-MAN (or MAN-LHR) . IST has the benefit of no issues to visit (presuming your fully vaccinated) .
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Plu2370
You can get 160 TPs going LHR-SOF out Saturday Mar 27 and back Mar 28 for £240 in CE. Not the most amazing value and you'd need to book hotel for that night too. Maybe you could add EDI or MAN before that for the extra 80 TPs, plus points for psitioning flight.

I'm assuming youre in London.

EDIT: If you can swing 5 nights away and work from home in Sofia, you could do Mar 30 - Apr 4 and get 320 TPs for arounf £450, using the Flight + Hotel double TP promotion. I'll be there around those dates doing precisely that!!

Last edited by RichieMc; Feb 5, 2022 at 5:28 am
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:09 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I’m in the middle of Heathrow and Manchester so they are both equally inconvenient.

5 nights away wouldn’t work, could I book the 5 nights in the hotel though and ‘nest’ a return trip to UK in the middle? Leaving the hotel room empty for 3 nights, but remaining checked in.

If I paid for seat selection now and then get silver before the flight could I get a refund. Long shot I know but you never know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.