Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
.... Regarding the quantity of the main meal, it looks the same as it did pre-pandemic. I last flew CW in November 2019 and the quantity of the main meal is pretty much the same. Sure there are still some aspects of the Club World service still missing, but I'll take this over the box meals they were serving throughout last year.
Have a quick look on post #351 and you will see the difference between the 2 CW meals. One pre covid and one now. Also someone has posted a quarter toast offered as a light meal to US (post #202)...
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ermis177
Have a quick look on post #351 and you will see the difference between the 2 CW meals. One pre covid and one now. Also someone has posted a quarter toast offered as a light meal to US (post #202)...
The main meal in that post is pretty much the same quantity as my meal, unless you are referring to the starter and dessert?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
The main meal in that post is pretty much the same quantity as my meal, unless you are referring to the starter and dessert?
Yes thats what i mean. Also did you check the other post? Did you use to get a quarter toast as a light meal ?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ermis177
Yes thats what i mean. Also did you check the other post? Did you use to get a quarter toast as a light meal ?
Well you should have been more specific, otherwise I would have agreed in that sense, but for me its not that big of a deal. Yes I did see the post, but you specifically said Main meal, not starters and desserts.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Out of interest, which items of bedding are available?
I haven't tried them myself, but I'm told they don't taste too good, and the texture leaves a lot to be desired.

rb211.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
To me, it looks like an attempt to provide the cheapest possible ingredients. With the exception of the cod fillet on the first meal, every course will have cost close to nothing to make…
There just doesn’t seem to be much choice. A few years ago I am sure there were normally four or five main course choices. In CW, I invariably went for the chilled main course salad (with a few exceptions)! Sadly, it now seems that this is no longer an option since the menu change. It then seemed to be fewer main course options but more flex in terms of starter and dessert.

I guess the reduced options for now are whilst the loads / flights are still low and the kitchens presumably charge per ‘line’? So it’s easier to produce 750 braised beef entrees and 500 cod entrees per day (say) than 250 of each plus 250 prawn curries and so on. Hopefully the choices will increase.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:36 am

Was on 0840 LHR to ABZ last week in CE. Was expecting a decent breakfast but just got a ham and cheese croissant. Is this it now?!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BWBriscoe
Was on 0840 LHR to ABZ last week in CE. Was expecting a decent breakfast but just got a ham and cheese croissant. Is this it now?!
thats been the standard breakfast since the change back in January. I very much hope it changes back to normal breakfast soon.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Don’t be silly, the fry up has COVID in it 🙄
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ENTP
Don’t be silly, the fry up has COVID in it 🙄
Yes, that excuse is now firmly in the 'come on' bracket. If it is safe to serve a proper breakfast to FAO it must be safe to serve it to ABZ. Likewise with the 2-finger sandwiches served for the CE afternoon tea - surely 3-fingers are no more dangerous to public health than 2-fingers?!

I think it time BA gave two-fingers to that excuse!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, that excuse is now firmly in the 'come on' bracket. If it is safe to serve a proper breakfast to FAO it must be safe to serve it to ABZ. Likewise with the 2-finger sandwiches served for the CE afternoon tea - surely 3-fingers are no more dangerous to public health than 2-fingers?!

I think it time BA gave two-fingers to that excuse!
Yes. Likewise the missing bacon in the CE cooked breakfast, the quartered scotch egg in the ploughman’s and the missing cheese course for long band CE!
choosethedrew, bafan and ENTP like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
thats been the standard breakfast since the change back in January. I very much hope it changes back to normal breakfast soon.
Do you or one of the other oracles of knowledge on here know whether since the new crew agreements came in, all flights are ‘minimum’ crew? It used to be the case that (a) say a Jersey or a Manchester would get an extra crew member (so it would never be 3 crew to Jersey - which interestingly always had a full breakfast ex Gatwick unlike MAN and LBA) and then there would be triggers for supernumerary crew - ie there might be an extra CC member if Club went about [15]. Has this now stopped? IE could 3 crew in total (so effectively just the inflight lead) be expected to serve 10 rows of Club (and the flightdeck, I believe) on a 319 to a Short destination?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Do you or one of the other oracles of knowledge on here know whether since the new crew agreements came in, all flights are ‘minimum’ crew? It used to be the case that (a) say a Jersey or a Manchester would get an extra crew member (so it would never be 3 crew to Jersey - which interestingly always had a full breakfast ex Gatwick unlike MAN and LBA) and then there would be triggers for supernumerary crew - ie there might be an extra CC member if Club went about [15]. Has this now stopped? IE could 3 crew in total (so effectively just the inflight lead) be expected to serve 10 rows of Club (and the flightdeck, I believe) on a 319 to a Short destination?
The top ups were suspended but being reintroduced, that said, crewing levels are still short and sccms are often refused top up crews at the moment as no crew available.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I don’t recall ever being aboard a MAN sector with less than 4 crew.
ENTP and lpoolrob like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:20 am

Having been unimpressed by the standard CE meals last month, I decided to try the KSML on yesterday's flight to ACE.

Standard offers were down to two: chicken pie, or stuffed pasta with peas which presumably doubled as the veggie option, both came with the usual mini salad and squidgy dessert.

The KSML was much more substantial: polenta salad, a large rye knot roll, chicken teriyaki with sautéed onions and egg fried rice, dessert was three mini profiteroles on top of a hefty portion of chocolate ganache with something crumbly at the bottom.

Overall far more to my taste than the standard offers, though I couldn't finish it - I'd had a full english in the lounge, then onboard a pre-meal jambon-beurre from Pret that I'd bought in case the KSML wasn't good. I felt no need for dinner last night.
ENTP, tedcruz and PGberkshire like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.