Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA credit card question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Chase BA credit card question

I booked flights using a Chase BA 241 and paid the fees with my Chase CC.
I received a $200 statement credit and according to the statement, received 10,545 Avios ("3X Avios British Airways purchase"). These miles were not credited to my Avios account and according to Chase the reason was because I received the $200 credit.

Is this the way it works?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
No, that's not right. The $200 credit is not an either/or in relation to your Avios. You should receive your 3x spend in Avios and the $200 refund if it's an eligible ticket.

Interestingly it looks like it's now 5x spend in Avios on BA tickets in 2021.

This from the terms and conditions:

6returns to footnote 6 Up To $600 Reward Statement Credit

a. Chase Cardmembers will receive a statement credit of up to $200 US per booking for taxes, fees and charges paid in full using their British Airways credit card (“Card”) when redeeming Avios for a reward flight on British Airways. The statement credit will post to the Cardmember’s credit card account within 45 days of the eligible booking being ticketed and payment received and will appear on the Cardmember’s monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. Cardmembers are responsible for payment of all charges until the statement credit posts to their account. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to Cardmember’s account. The statement credit will be applied at a booking level (i.e., not per ticket) and be subject to these terms and conditions.

b. Cardmembers will receive a $100 statement credit per reward flight booking in economy (World Traveller) or premium economy (World Traveller Plus); or a $200 statement credit for all other reward flight bookings in business (Club World) and First.

c. Cardmembers will be eligible to receive no more than three (3) statement credits for three (3) individual bookings in any single calendar year, up to $600 in statement credits per calendar year.

d. The booking must be for a transatlantic international travel itinerary redeemed from Cardmember’s Executive Club account with the transatlantic portion departing from the United States solely on aircraft operated by British Airways. The booking may include a connecting flight on a code share partner for the non-transatlantic portion of the itinerary.

e. If the reward flight booking is cancelled, Chase reserves the right to reverse the statement credit on the Cardmember’s credit card account.

f. Chase and/or British Airways reserve the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time and without notice.

Chase is only responsible for receiving information from British Airways in order to post the statement credit to your credit card account, and is not responsible for the provision of or failure to provide the rest of the stated benefits and services.
Full details here at the bottom of this link:
https://creditcards.chase.com/avios/...ays/redemption
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 5, 2021 at 6:44 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks .... I called the CC company and was told I wasn't going to get the Avios. I'll call back again.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:29 am

That happened to me recently.I reached out to Chase. I had cancelled a flight last year and never lost the 5000 avios, so never got the new 5000 avios on my new booking for 2021.

Last edited by wesport; Jan 6, 2021 at 6:30 am Reason: add
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wesport
That happened to me recently.I reached out to Chase. I had cancelled a flight last year and never lost the 5000 avios, so never got the new 5000 avios on my new booking for 2021.
Would you explain that again please? What happened to you recently?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Would you explain that again please? What happened to you recently?
I booked a flight with avios and paid 1500 dollars in taxes in 2020. Should have received 4500 avios. Never received them and wrote to Chase. I cancelled a flight earlier in the year , got the 1500 dollar refund. They never took back the 4500 avios from the cancelled flight , consequently, they deducted those from the 4500 I should have got in 2020.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
This is the way it works on BA AMEX too, they can't claw back original avios, or spend towards a 241, so if your spend triggers a 241 and you get it back in a refund, you have to make it up on your next 241. Same with avios.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I received a slightly different offer from Chase in my inbox yesterday. The mail header stated 10% off your next BA flight, but the body of the email seems to indicate that it could be used on flights BA flights that originate in the US and is not just a one off offer, or limited to 3 statement credits as per the OP. As I tend to book J and F back the UK, 10% off more than pays for the $95 annual fee on a single trip. Two trips and I’m quids in (well dollars actually) The offer would certainly increase in value if it was 10% off all BA TATL flights going forward as long as the card was used. Does anyone have experience of such an offer?

Another quick question regarding AVIOS... I credit AA, so have yet to earn a single AVIOS, but if I were to spend $3K in the first 3 months, I would earn 50K AVIOS into my BA blue account. What is the average amount of AVIOS required to UUA from CW to F as this is the only way I think I would use them. Another advantage would be that as AVIOS are going into my BAEC account, BA will stop killing that account every few years, which then requires me to go and open a new account to easily use MMB and to check on JAL, Cathy and QANTAS reward bookings.

TIA
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I received a slightly different offer from Chase in my inbox yesterday. The mail header stated 10% off your next BA flight, but the body of the email seems to indicate that it could be used on flights BA flights that originate in the US and is not just a one off offer, or limited to 3 statement credits as per the OP. As I tend to book J and F back the UK, 10% off more than pays for the $95 annual fee on a single trip. Two trips and I’m quids in (well dollars actually) The offer would certainly increase in value if it was 10% off all BA TATL flights going forward as long as the card was used. Does anyone have experience of such an offer?

Another quick question regarding AVIOS... I credit AA, so have yet to earn a single AVIOS, but if I were to spend $3K in the first 3 months, I would earn 50K AVIOS into my BA blue account. What is the average amount of AVIOS required to UUA from CW to F as this is the only way I think I would use them. Another advantage would be that as AVIOS are going into my BAEC account, BA will stop killing that account every few years, which then requires me to go and open a new account to easily use MMB and to check on JAL, Cathy and QANTAS reward bookings.

TIA
Hi,
I think ( taking San Diego as an example) the miles to upgrade CW to F is 22,500 Off peak and 25,000 peak ( details here

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Maybe slightly fewer to the East Coast USA.

However with the removal of the 747-400 and reconfiguration of some F class from 14 to 8, space for UUA may become harder to get ( and become only available closer to departure date). Also some routes may now be served with non-F flights ( ie A350-1000)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
I think ( taking San Diego as an example) the miles to upgrade CW to F is 22,500 Off peak and 25,000 peak ( details here

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Maybe slightly fewer to the East Coast USA.

However with the removal of the 747-400 and reconfiguration of some F class from 14 to 8, space for UUA may become harder to get ( and become only available closer to departure date). Also some routes may now be served with non-F flights ( ie A350-1000)

Regards

TBS
Thanks for the information. Looks like I would have enough for a round trip upgrade on a trip back to the UK sometime in the future. 😀👍 I am not opposed to departing out of LAX on the way to the UK, so that might help with availability too.

I’m also resigned to traveling back to the UK for the holidays this year in J on an A350 (assuming SAN has resumed service by the Next) Seat 9K both ways for the extra window! 😎
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I received a slightly different offer from Chase in my inbox yesterday. The mail header stated 10% off your next BA flight, but the body of the email seems to indicate that it could be used on flights BA flights that originate in the US and is not just a one off offer, or limited to 3 statement credits as per the OP.
The 10% off any round trip on BA metal and originating in the US has been around for a long time and I don't think it has a limit. It can usually be combined with an AARP discount as well. The $200 rebate applies to Avios reward flights and has a limit. It started last year and seems to still be active.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The 10% off any round trip on BA metal and originating in the US has been around for a long time and I don't think it has a limit. It can usually be combined with an AARP discount as well. The $200 rebate applies to Avios reward flights and has a limit. It started last year and seems to still be active.
Thank you. Seems to be a no brainer then. I’d save around $500 a year then, before the $95 annual fee. Way better than the $100 or cash back that I’d earn on my Costco credit card. Nice to know that it can also be combined with the AARP discount too.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Any one know if you book the avios flight originating in the USA to London but BA charges you in GBP as opposed to USD will Chase give the credit?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jonr405
Any one know if you book the avios flight originating in the USA to London but BA charges you in GBP as opposed to USD will Chase give the credit?
If you're a US member, you should be getting reward prices in USD.

There is basic routing metadata sent to Chase with the transaction, so NYC-LON will show, but you might have to follow up with Chase if the transaction does somehow post in GBP.

Could this be a browser issue? I get it too, on multiple websites here in the US, with my devices set to UK English; browsers display prices with a £ symbol instead of $. I've started setting to Australian English...
jonr405 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by JAXBA

If you're a US member, you should be getting reward prices in USD.

There is basic routing metadata sent to Chase with the transaction, so NYC-LON will show, but you might have to follow up with Chase if the transaction does somehow post in GBP.

Could this be a browser issue? I get it too, on multiple websites here in the US, with my devices set to UK English; browsers display prices with a £ symbol instead of $. I've started setting to Australian English...
Thanks for the info! I'm a strange case (American living in the UK, so showing in GBP is correct). I guess I will just have to book it and see what happens. I'll report back here of my findings, but won't be for a few weeks. The card should arrive in 7-10 business days.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes the credit to post to the account? AMEX is generally 1-2 days, but don't have any experience with Chase.
JAXBA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.