Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Having seen that reply I am still sticking to my previous advice.
Or maybe MCOL.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Whoops. I just realized it's been two months, not three. It'd be kinda funny if BA were to write back to note that error on my part, and tell me to get back with them a month from now.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:38 pm

I claimed compensation back in June, but only received the automated email response the day I claimed.

Thinking about a CEDR claim now, but while I made the booking, the flight was for my brother and sister-in-law.
Question is: Do I need to fill a Representative Authority Form signed by both, and the money (if successful) will be paid in their accounts? (I made the original booking and paid for the reservations)

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The compensation is always due to the passengers who travelled, not to the person booking if different. There's a bit of grey area on downgrades but I'll leave that for now. The easiest thing to do is for you to do the legwork but for your relatives to act as signatories for the casework
madtrad likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:03 pm

Thanks, just done

Easier than I thought, I submitted their authorization forms and passports + all the emails/evidence CEDR was requesting

Hopefully this would be faster now!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Does anyone know what the current response time is for out of pocket expenses claims submitted on ba.com for cancelled flights? Claim submitted two weeks ago, automated reply with case number received immediately but nothing since. Should I email [email protected] and ask for a status update or is there a better way to chase up?

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

If you look upthread a bit you will get some sense about how long it is taking, there are quite a number of reports. Not many people are getting replies in 2 weeks, and 2 months is not an unusual wait time.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DocS
Point of reference for a recent claim. Submitted EC261 for all four of us - as well as additional expenses for a 24 hrs delay - on 27th July and received an affirmative response today 7 1/2 weeks later.

Our claim for the outbound on the same trip has been disputed by BA - submitted claim on 8th July, received offer of out of pocket expenses only 6 weeks later. Responded with bank details for out of pocket expenses and to ask whether final decision to refuse EC261 and 5 weeks later no response. A mixed bag. Thanks to those of this thread for their advice to date and others for sharing their experiences.
Any recent reports of time taken from agreement to pay and actually being paid? The BA CS response helpfully says 'do not reply as this may delay payment to your account'... (conveniently for them!)
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Any recent reports of time taken from agreement to pay and actually being paid? The BA CS response helpfully says 'do not reply as this may delay payment to your account'... (conveniently for them!)
For UK banks it seems to be 10 to 14 days.
DocS and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For UK banks it seems to be 10 to 14 days.
That answers my €1,200 question ... I shall stop checking my account daily! 23 Sep and counting!
DocS likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I rang up the Silver line today to try and prompt an update on my complaint submitted in early July - was told they are still working on the backlog from May!

Also informed me that they have been instructed not to attempt to escalate for individual requests... maybe I'll have an answer by Christmas
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by msaps
I rang up the Silver line today to try and prompt an update on my complaint submitted in early July - was told they are still working on the backlog from May!

Also informed me that they have been instructed not to attempt to escalate for individual requests... maybe I'll have an answer by Christmas
Interesting, we do know there is an escalation path and fast/slow processing, i complained about duty of care expense processing on a 15th July flight 2 weeks ago and it got put into a faster queue with a call from BA the next day and money back 7 days later.

You might want to call and say you are putting it to cedr as its been more than 8 weeks unless it is sorted, that might get it escalated for you, but be prepared to actually follow through if they don't.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by T8191
That answers my €1,200 question ... I shall stop checking my account daily! 23 Sep and counting!
OK, so I checked this morning. Six days from the email from CS. Much contentment ... paid £1000 for sitting in the BA Lounge at LGW for 5 hours, drinking champagne and eating smoked salmon sandwiches. It's a hard life!

Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by msaps

I put a claim in on 12 July, and since there was a pile of disruption all around the start of that month, I am not expecting anything for a while yet.

I'll probably start to get antsy around the four month mark in November.

Originally Posted by T8191
OK, so I checked this morning. Six days from the email from CS. Much contentment ... paid £1000 for sitting in the BA Lounge at LGW for 5 hours, drinking champagne and eating smoked salmon sandwiches. It's a hard life!
Well, that's really very nice!

I wish mine had been a case of sitting around in the lounge for five hours, which I probably wouldn't have minded one bit! Instead I had two nights in hotels at my expense, along with food and a bus. £1,095 is due for me, but only £520 is the UK261, the rest is my out of pocket expenses.

Hopefully they pay me in Euros now since the pound has tanked
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:28 am

Hello,

Quick question for the experienced. Is EU/UK compensation due when flying on AA JFK-LHR when booked as a codeshare with BA and a BA flight number. Long delay caused to miss a connection in LHR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.