Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by seagles1954
It states that "We inform you that AVIAPARTNER will face a strike from our ramp staff on the 10th june. We will be able to provide a minimum service etc."
and further down "We confirm by this email that AVIAPARTNER will NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE HANDLING for the following flight BA2786/BA2787 10th June"
Right, so ATC strikes are Extraordinary Circumstances since BA is not the employer or has any negotation rights when they go on strike - that's between typically the ATC unions and the aviation authority for that country. But when BA employs a contractor for handling - they could do their own handling - then that is not extraordinary circumstances. There are some grey areas where some airports handle directly, so BA has no choice in the matter, but here BA chose Aviapartner and could chose someone else if they want. Aviapartner has also had some poor industrial relations disputes recently. Under the Krüsemann case, strikes - even wildcat ones - are on the employer, inherent and within the airline's control. There is also reference in EC261 where the airline can bill contractors for their failure to provide a high level of protection to customers. Then did BA do enough to use other contractors? Did it rebook people on other airlines? Were other airlines - using different handlers - unaffected? Were other airlines that use Avia able to cope better than BA? So yes, I think this is a plausible case.
sayling and seagles1954 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Hi All,

My wife and I were suppose to be on BA2778 on 13th July (LHR > JER) however after a delay, flight was cancelled (no reason given). Rebooked onto BA1362 (LGW > JER) next day so incurred hotel and transport expenses plus due compensation. Submitted claim a few days later but apart from the usual confirmation email I have heard nothing since. I have chased multiple times via email and the online form but still not heard anything. I am trying to stay patient but am getting frustrated as I see people receiving responses after this date and lack of communication from BA.

What should my next steps be?

TIA,
Doug
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:53 am

I'm currently facing a 5+ hour delay to my flight today.

We're flying with a lap infant - are they also entitled to compensation? From my reading online it appears a bit ambiguous and down to whether or not the airline argues that the lap infant fare is an admin fee or a fare.

I've had a good read through the FAQ at the top of the thread - but don't see this anywhere!
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dougy_D
What should my next steps be?
I think I'd continue to advise that you raise a case with CEDR once you are past 8 weeks from your first submission.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markle
I'm currently facing a 5+ hour delay to my flight today.

We're flying with a lap infant - are they also entitled to compensation? From my reading online it appears a bit ambiguous and down to whether or not the airline argues that the lap infant fare is an admin fee or a fare.
My take is that if you hold a ticket and some money and/or airmiles were needed for that ticket, then you are a paid passenger. It's only completely free-of-charge tickets (e.g. competition winners) who are out of scope here. I believe BA takes the same view.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Right, so ATC strikes are Extraordinary Circumstances since BA is not the employer or has any negotation rights when they go on strike - that's between typically the ATC unions and the aviation authority for that country. But when BA employs a contractor for handling - they could do their own handling - then that is not extraordinary circumstances. There are some grey areas where some airports handle directly, so BA has no choice in the matter, but here BA chose Aviapartner and could chose someone else if they want. Aviapartner has also had some poor industrial relations disputes recently. Under the Krüsemann case, strikes - even wildcat ones - are on the employer, inherent and within the airline's control. There is also reference in EC261 where the airline can bill contractors for their failure to provide a high level of protection to customers. Then did BA do enough to use other contractors? Did it rebook people on other airlines? Were other airlines - using different handlers - unaffected? Were other airlines that use Avia able to cope better than BA? So yes, I think this is a plausible case.
Many thanks, have updated CEDR with this information. They have also replied that they will pass this to the adjudicator and expect a response by 25th October. We will see what happens now.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
A load of tosh methinks!

I think this should have been as straightforward a case as possible, clearly BA don't agree.

I used Avios to purchase LHR:JNB in First. On the outbound leg I was downgraded to Club as F was not being sold at that time. I duly submitted by claim under EC261 but was only given about 20,000 Avios instead of the 75,000 I believe I am due. Having queried the amount, I received this reply "The EU legislation you mention applies to commercial bookings only. I've checked with our Refund Focus team and the refund of 20,247 Avios you've received is correct." I think the slightly odd figure is due to the "Household Account factor",

Is it worth me going back to BA or should I just go to CEDR?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I think this should have been as straightforward a case as possible, clearly BA don't agree.

I used Avios to purchase LHR:JNB in First. On the outbound leg I was downgraded to Club as F was not being sold at that time. I duly submitted by claim under EC261 but was only given about 20,000 Avios instead of the 75,000 I believe I am due. Having queried the amount, I received this reply "The EU legislation you mention applies to commercial bookings only. I've checked with our Refund Focus team and the refund of 20,247 Avios you've received is correct." I think the slightly odd figure is due to the "Household Account factor",

Is it worth me going back to BA or should I just go to CEDR?
The Reguation clearly states that airmiles are in scope. Article 3.3. The problem is that CEDR tends to side with BA about downgrades made well in advance, despite the regulation making no such distinction, so while I wouldn't rule it out as an option, MCOL would be better.
johnaalex and sayling like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
The Reguation clearly states that airmiles are in scope. Article 3.3. The problem is that CEDR tends to side with BA about downgrades made well in advance, despite the regulation making no such distinction, so while I wouldn't rule it out as an option, MCOL would be better.
Gosh, I didn’t know MCOL would be better and blindly went to CEDR last year for a First to Club downgrade, also made well in advance. It took 6 months but CEDR awarded in my favour and the 75% was paid in cash. That’s a precedent for me as far as I’m concerned but if MCOL is CWS’s recommendation, I’d go with that, particularly as I’ve heard that CEDR don’t seem to know what a precedent is and every case is a new one.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Gosh, I didn’t know MCOL would be better and blindly went to CEDR last year for a First to Club downgrade, also made well in advance. It took 6 months but CEDR awarded in my favour and the 75% was paid in cash. That’s a precedent for me as far as I’m concerned but if MCOL is CWS’s recommendation, I’d go with that, particularly as I’ve heard that CEDR don’t seem to know what a precedent is and every case is a new one.
I think the primary difference here is the currency... air miles (Avios) versus cash
johnaalex likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Operational reasons, yes to EC261. Normally that would be a claim paid quickly, which means a month rather than 3 months, but there again the downgrade makes it more complicated.
I have a simple OPEY situation, from July, and still nothing back.. so seems some simple cases also taking 3 months or more!
Old Oct 11, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sayling
I think the primary difference here is the currency... air miles (Avios) versus cash
but CEDR award cash for downgrades…?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:12 pm

but CEDR award cash for downgrades…?
...where the fare was paid in cash. BA and CEDR are less obliging when it comes to recognising Avios bookings
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sayling
...where the fare was paid in cash. BA and CEDR are less obliging when it comes to recognising Avios bookings
Maybe we were lucky as our fare was Avios and Amex 241 but CEDR awarded cash based on the value of the Avios for the downgrade.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:50 pm

Maybe we were lucky as our fare was Avios and Amex 241 but CEDR awarded cash based on the value of the Avios for the downgrade.
Very good to know - are the findings/ decision on your case public and accessible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.