Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:03 pm

Thank you CWS. I’m constantly watching DXB to see what will happen. NYC in Oct sounds v appealing if no additional Avios required!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi

I’ve just been looking through BA.com and the wiki and can’t see a definite answer. I have some evouchers and FTVs that I am looking to use. I can see it’s possible to use up to 4 evouchers on line in one booking but it does not mention using a FTV and an evoucher together or even multiple FTVs in one new booking. Is anyone able to assist? Trying to work out what vouchers to get rid of in what order.

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Only one FTV per booking, you must ring up for that, though in some circumstances you can have a mega voucher, where FTVs from the same booking are combined into one.

You can indeed use 4 eVouchers per booking, one can be booked online, any more than 1 needs a call.

I believe you can use an FTV with at least one eVoucher, again calling up, not sure about more than one eVoucher though. For BAH I'm fairly sure it would be the same but the processing is different.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
OK, thanks for your help CWS
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold
Many thanks KARFA and CWS - your quick feedback is much appreciated.. Will try again and report back...

Last edited by fishflyer; Jan 4, 2021 at 10:33 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I’ve booked a BA holiday to CPT in February.
If the flight gets cancelled can I rebook for a future date (providing it’s within 1 year of the date I booked the flight) at no additional cost?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
I’ve booked a BA holiday to CPT in February.
If the flight gets cancelled can I rebook for a future date (providing it’s within 1 year of the date I booked the flight) at no additional cost?
On the flight side yes, for the hotel or car hire there may be a pricing difference (in either direction) but BAH may be able to sort something out at the same price.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This feels like a question that I should know the answer to, but despite having read up on the topic, I don't.

I have an Avios flight with Qatar Airways on the 7th of Jan which I'd like to cancel. If I go through the cancellation process online (new UI), I get directed to the voucher request form. I see that the wiki on this thread suggests I should be able to get the usual Avios cancellation form.

Do I have to call BA instead?

Thanks in advance for any help! Hi from 38,000 ft above the Atlantic.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This feels like a question that I should know the answer to, but despite having read up on the topic, I don't.

I have an Avios flight with Qatar Airways on the 7th of Jan which I'd like to cancel. If I go through the cancellation process online (new UI), I get directed to the voucher request form. I see that the wiki on this thread suggests I should be able to get the usual Avios cancellation form.

Do I have to call BA instead?

Thanks in advance for any help! Hi from 38,000 ft above the Atlantic.
So the new bit now is the grey box at the top of the FTV page which says "What if your flight has been cancelled?", and if you click on the "Apply for a refund" hyperlink it will take you to a new form for "Claim a refund for a cancelled flight".

I must admit I haven't used it yet and still calling my cancellations in for the moment, but I assume it works in the same way.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hi KARFA, thanks as always for your help. That doesn't immediately make sense to me though - I want to cancel my ticket for a flight which is going ahead which I made using Avios. It doesn't seem like I should be following links to dealing with a BA cancelled flight?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Hi KARFA, thanks as always for your help. That doesn't immediately make sense to me though - I want to cancel my ticket for a flight which is going ahead which I made using Avios. It doesn't seem like I should be following links to dealing with a BA cancelled flight?
Ah, my apologies. I did misunderstand. Yes in that case of your reward flight is still going ahead but you want to cancel you would have to call. There isn’t a way to do it on ba.com.

Also flying across the Atlantic? I vaguely remember doing at a long time ago. I barely get to fly within the UK atm
EuropeanPete, alex67500 and Confus like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On the flight side yes, for the hotel or car hire there may be a pricing difference (in either direction) but BAH may be able to sort something out at the same price.
Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a BAH booking for Feb, which was booked with a FTV, right now I have actually not paid any extra cash for final balance, the only amount paid was to put the FTV against it.

if BA cancel the flight (UVF) is there any chance I’ll get the cash on the voucher, or will I just get the FTV back?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
I have a BAH booking for Feb, which was booked with a FTV, right now I have actually not paid any extra cash for final balance, the only amount paid was to put the FTV against it.

if BA cancel the flight (UVF) is there any chance I’ll get the cash on the voucher, or will I just get the FTV back?
If BA cancel the flight, or BAH cancel their operations to UVF due to government restrictions, then you should get a cash refund of the original booking, not a new FTV. You can have a new FTV if you wish, and they are easier to use than a Flight Only FTV in that you can still book online, but apart from that I can't think of a good reason to have an FTV in a BAH / cash context.
LimitingFactor likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Got through to somebody regarding changing my flights on Friday.
He has put me on hold to speak to ticketing to get it reissued. It's been a good 20minutes now. The hold music is also 'we will put you through to somebody as soon as possible'.
Am I being paranoid? Previous ticket changes took 3/4minutes max....

Edit: He did eventually come back to me to say he had left it with the Fare team and they'd phone me back later today or tomorrow with the reprice..

Last edited by marconess; Jan 5, 2021 at 5:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.