Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dselvan
KARFA, I assume that was in relation to my reply.
I was told that if you take a FTV for a redemption booking voluntarily (for example, I do not want to travel on the day but BA are still flying) then the £35 pp cancellation charge still applies but the 241 and the taxes are all kept together in the FTV.
If it is involuntary, it doesn't matter since it is free for refund or FTV.
Is that not correct?
That isn't correct, it seems someone was getting mixed up between FTVs and voluntary refunds.
- Voluntary refund = £35 redeposit, everything back including the companion voucher, flexibility for future bookings. This companion voucher can be extended by 6 months but check with the agent carefully on this point.
- FTV = no £35 redepost, but you lose flexibility. Everything is in the FTV wrapper and an expiry date of currently April 2022.
- Involuntary refund (due to BA cancellation) = everything back, no fee, Rebooking alternative.
KARFA and Dselvan like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The fee is not taken off a voluntary reward cancellation to FTV, you retain full cash and Avios elements
KARFA and Dselvan like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
that’s interesting to hear. My understanding was that you didn’t. In fact I have taken FTVs for reward flights myself and fees were not deducted - but that doesn’t prove anything as I don’t get charged cancellation fees.

can anyone else confirm either way?
Thanks KARFA. That was what I was told by BA customer services and that is one of the reasons I did not take a FTV for my upcoming trip in March and I am awaiting for BA to cancel the flight and I will get a full refund with my 241 without paying the cancellation fee.
Since I was going to need to pay £35 pp for FTV or not, there is no rush for me to take a FTV yet and I am planning to rebook in 2022 before the expiry date of my 241.
If the FTV is free and what BA told me was nonsense, I would love to hear from other people who have taken an FTV free of charge for a 241 redemption booking.
Look forward to some replies. Thank you.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the FTV is free and what BA told me was nonsense, I would love to hear from other people who have taken an FTV free of charge for a 241 redemption booking.
Look forward to some replies. Thank you.
Just look upthread and in last year's thread. There must be over 100 examples of FTVs being used, and you're the only one so far who has mentioned this. However as also is clear upthread, anything you do in this space you best do a couple of days before your original departure date, the maximise your flexibility.

Most people cancelling an Avios booking and talking to an agent about it would be wanting a refund, which is where the redeposit fee comes in.
Dselvan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That isn't correct, it seems someone was getting mixed up between FTVs and voluntary refunds.
- Voluntary refund = £35 redeposit, everything back including the companion voucher, flexibility for future bookings. This companion voucher can be extended by 6 months but check with the agent carefully on this point.
- FTV = no £35 redepost, but you lose flexibility. Everything is in the FTV wrapper and an expiry date of currently April 2022.
- Involuntary refund (due to BA cancellation) = everything back, no fee, Rebooking alternative.
Thank you C-W-S. I was going by what BA told me.
So it appears that I was given wrong information by BA.
An FTV will be free to do with everything wrapped up till April 22 expiry but have to call BA to book.
A voluntary refund is £35pp cancellation fee but keep the original expiry of your 241.
I thought this was correct but I was told by BA that it was not!!!
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The wiki above explains all this very clearly Dselvan you got an agent not aware of the policy (which is really unacceptable ten months after FTVs were launched)
Dselvan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The wiki above explains all this very clearly Dselvan you got an agent not aware of the policy (which is really unacceptable ten months after FTVs were launched)
Couldn't be bothered to argue with them since I got all my info here in this forum but I was told it was wrong!!!
I have a bit of time till March, so no rush. If the flights are cancelled, then I will get the refund anyway but if not, nearer the time, I will take the FTV and rebook for 2022.
Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
[deleted in wrong thread]

Last edited by VSLover; Jan 13, 2021 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I was told that if you take a FTV for a redemption booking voluntarily (for example, I do not want to travel on the day but BA are still flying) then the £35 pp cancellation charge still applies but the 241 and the taxes are all kept together in the FTV.
If it is involuntary, it doesn't matter since it is free for refund or FTV.
In fact I have taken FTVs for reward flights myself and fees were not deducted - but that doesn’t prove anything as I don’t get charged cancellation fees.

can anyone else confirm either way?
I can.

In September, I voluntarily took a couple of FTVs for award flights to and from Greece. When I rebooked, the cash elements (£25.00 x 2 in one case, £13.50 x 2 in the other case) were fully available for use if I had wanted to. In the event, I changed the bookings to use the maximum Avios plus 50p, and the balance of the cash was refunded to me.

The only deduction came from an arithmetical error on the £25.00 booking - I was refunded £24.50, which would have been correct if the 50p balance was being used on the new booking. However, I was then charged a further 50p. which presumably happened because the ticket issue demanded it. But the £1 shortfall offended only my perfectionism; I'm not asking for it back!
Dselvan likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have a BAH to CPT booked for 18 February. I can see in the schedule that the CPT is cancelled so I rang to rebook for October but the agent told me I could only rebook for 3 days before or 14 days after the original flight at the same cost. For any other dates the fare would be recalculated.
I thought I could rebook up to 1 year from the date of booking.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
I have a BAH to CPT booked for 18 February. I can see in the schedule that the CPT is cancelled so I rang to rebook for October but the agent told me I could only rebook for 3 days before or 14 days after the original flight at the same cost. For any other dates the fare would be recalculated.
I thought I could rebook up to 1 year from the date of booking.
yes you can. See post 27 of the thread and the wiki for details.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
yes you can. See post 27 of the thread and the wiki for details.
I’m confused because post 27 says “However, what they are not doing is allowing the same people to change to alternative dates completely free. Lots of us got good fares in the sales that BA has promoted over the last six months to get people to buy. Therefore if they try to change dates they will most likely have to pay hundreds of pounds more for the fare difference. ”
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
I’m confused because post 27 says “However, what they are not doing is allowing the same people to change to alternative dates completely free. Lots of us got good fares in the sales that BA has promoted over the last six months to get people to buy. Therefore if they try to change dates they will most likely have to pay hundreds of pounds more for the fare difference. ”
yes I see your point. That only seemed to be for holidays within three weeks of 30 December though, so shouldn’t restrict you for a February booking?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Hi everyone, I have a question on behalf of a non-FT friend about rebooking and the refund policy, I am not sure whether I have missed it upthread. It would be appreciated if anyone could give some advice on what I should do.

The case is as follows: he booked LHR-MAN (25 Feb) and MAN-LHR (12 Mar) with BA, both in CE (cost is 150quid), but he is only using the outbound leg as a positioning flight back to home but no longer need the return leg anymore. Seeing march ops are starting to get movements, if the return leg (MAN-LHR) is to be canceled, will it be possible for him to retain the first leg and cancel the second leg and receive a cash refund of the cost of the return leg, or: 1) does he simply can only accept the new flight for the return, wait until he flew the first and then obtain the voucher 2)take a voucher then rebook himself into a one-way flight? We did a search online, a one-way CE to MAN cost 110quid, thus my friend is struggling to decide what he should do.

Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
I just had to cancel an Avios booking for 2 days ahead, not worth taking a FTV. Not the end of the world but it seems a bit unfair to pay 2 x £35 fee since we aren't allowed to travel due to Gov't Covid rules, plus visas for India are not being issued, and BA have had £1170 of my money since booking Feb 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.