Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Dselvan
Cancellation is £35 per person.
FTV will keep all your 241 voucher, whatever Avios you paid and cash component (taxes) you paid all in one place. You can use it for any redemption booking but will need redemption seats available.
The 50% discount will unlikely be carried over, particularly if you are looking to book beyond the sale period and any new redemption will be the full price avios, so you will need more avios to be debited from your account when you make the new booking with the FTV.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the flight was an Avios redemption then you can always have a full refund, minus the £35 redeposit fee. That's no quibble, standard offering with Avios, nothing to do with Covid. I don't buy the "highly unlikely" bit, but in any event all a cancellation would save you is that £35 - there is no redeposit fee on BA cancellations. And you can avoid the £35 by going FTV, which also preserves the Companion Voucher validity to April 2022. But the redemption is well protected, thankfully.

The hotel is what it is, the cancellation conditions should have shown up at the time, and they would still apply. I would still ask BAH to see if they will refund that at just over 3 weeks to departure, there are reports of BAH doing this even though standalone bookings are not well protected. The cancellation conditions vary from hotel to hotel. So I would have another go at this nearer the time, and ideally have a list of options, I have heard of hotels with "no cancellation" clauses but actually very happy to accept a rebook to other dates.

Just received an email that the return flight has been cancelled by BA but not the outbound flight.

Where does that leave me in terms of what i can do/ask for?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Full refund of everything - no fees, no need to take a FTV
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Full refund of everything - no fees, no need to take a FTV

Thanks - I assume i will lose the companion voucher used for the booking as it was due to expire 31/3/21
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ams_sxi
Just received an email that the return flight has been cancelled by BA but not the outbound flight.

Where does that leave me in terms of what i can do/ask for?
Yes, it's a full refund. You can still ask for the Companion Voucher to be extended, if they won't do that then you can go FTV to keep it alive to April 2022 as mentioned upthread. However think carefully as to whether this is the best strategy.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ams_sxi
I assume i will lose the companion voucher used for the booking as it was due to expire 31/3/21
Your best approach may be this: Take the full refund now, which will see the companion voucher reissued to you with its expiry date of 31.03.2021 (if there is no other extension applicable to it). If you want to keep the voucher alive for longer, then make a new booking for a very cheap one-way award using the voucher, and then cancel that to an FTV, which on current FTV rules will keep the companion voucher alive until 30.04.2022 (all travel to be completed by that date). I think that doing this will fix the identity of your companion, so choose carefully.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
I had an Avios flight with the 50% off promotion to ICN in March.
The flight got cancelled, I would like to move to later in the year, but because the route is cancelled all year there are no BA flights to change it to.
Any way I can get them to rebook me on Qatar?
They only offered to either rebook on Qatar on the original dates or a refund.
Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by petter2
Any way I can get them to rebook me on Qatar?
They only offered to either rebook on Qatar on the original dates or a refund.
The rebooking option to Qatar needs you to stick close to the original travel dates. So either you travel as planned, or rebook at a later date by paying more Avios, or you get a refund, or you ask for a FTV, which won't be sensible unless there was a Companion Voucher.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Currently in Singapore, my SIN-LHR flight on 26 Feb has been cancelled. This ticket is an Avios ticket in CW booked during the 50% sale with an Amex 2-4-1. I changed the dates online (for £30 ish extra in taxes etc but no additional Avios).

As I understand it, the QR rebooking is not possible for this because it is a redemption - although if I tried, I may get lucky. However given the removal of Qatar from the self isolation exemption list, I may want to avoid this anyway.

If I want BA to reroute me as soon as possible then I assume that they will put me on the first flight available on BA which is BA0012 on 3 March. Then BA would be on the hook for my hotel from 26th Feb - 3rd Mar.

Otherwise I can rebook to any available BA SIN-LHR flight within ticket validity.

If this is correct then I may leave it for the moment and decide if I actually want to go back to the UK then or postpone it.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
If I want BA to reroute me as soon as possible then I assume that they will put me on the first flight available on BA which is BA0012 on 3 March. Then BA would be on the hook for my hotel from 26th Feb - 3rd Mar.

Otherwise I can rebook to any available BA SIN-LHR flight within ticket validity.
Assumng there is space on that flight, then yes. However if BA offer an alternative with QR or another airline close to your original date of travel then they aren't on the hook for the hotel. But at least in theory you are able to rebook within a year of ticket issue, however there have been more than a few reports that the 50% deal stops rebooking beyond the end of June, in line with the original offer.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I can almost guarantee you that BA will refuse to reimburse SG hotel expenses from 26Feb to 3rd March.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I've read through the posts but cant find a clear answer, not urgent, but i want to be prepared.

We have 241 flights booked for our wedding (attempt number 2!) to Antigua at the end of April. I'm realistic that there is a high risk this may not happen (again!) and if we are unable to go due to BA cancellations - at what point do we have to rebook? Do we have to rebook before the departure of the original flight, or can this booking stay in limbo until we decide on the right date to try and reschedule? Can you only move to offpeak dates if original booking was offpeak or is it flexible? And if you move dates and then that gets cancelled also, do you still have the flexibility to move AGAIN in same class? Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
I have a BA Holidays booking in late February, in which both my LGW-BGI and BGI-LGW flights have been cancelled. (Looks to have been a number of leisure routes cancelled in that time frame today, per the February 2021 Flight Cancellations thread.)

Am I correct in understanding that, as this is a BAH booking, effectively my only real option here is a refund for the deposit already paid? (I'm sure I could theoretically have a FTV instead, but of course why would I?) In other words, I can't change the dates (or even to an ex-LHR flight) for free.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by CrazyLilBlondie
Do we have to rebook before the departure of the original flight, or can this booking stay in limbo until we decide on the right date to try and reschedule? Can you only move to offpeak dates if original booking was offpeak or is it flexible? And if you move dates and then that gets cancelled also, do you still have the flexibility to move AGAIN in same class? Thanks!
You can move it by one year from the date of you initially booked the ticket (not one year from first date of travel). If the first flight on your booking is cancelled you can just leave it in limbo, provided it is not a BAH booking or on a non BA carrier. You can then rebook to any time within that year. If your first sector operates but other sectors are cancelled then you need to call up to prevent being a no-show, but you can still ask them to remove that first booking, so your flight is in limbo or has some random date in it to hold the data in the system. Good luck with the nuptials, hopefully it will sort itself out.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Am I correct in understanding that, as this is a BAH booking, effectively my only real option here is a refund for the deposit already paid? (I'm sure I could theoretically have a FTV instead, but of course why would I?) In other words, I can't change the dates (or even to an ex-LHR flight) for free.
There may be a proactive refund winging its way to you already, yes. But you can rebook to another date if this hasn't started. The notional flight costs should be preserved, the hotel / car hire may be repriced. Beware of maybe bookings, cash in the bank is better than almost all the alternatives. I can't think of a value of an FTV unless there was some voucher attached to the booking. I think there was one obscure difference for those living in Argentina to avoid taxation on forex, but that's probably in the 0.1% area of concern. Be careful about "maybe" bookings.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There may be a proactive refund winging its way to you already, yes. But you can rebook to another date if this hasn't started. The notional flight costs should be preserved, the hotel / car hire may be repriced. Beware of maybe bookings, cash in the bank is better than almost all the alternatives. I can't think of a value of an FTV unless there was some voucher attached to the booking. I think there was one obscure difference for those living in Argentina to avoid taxation on forex, but that's probably in the 0.1% area of concern. Be careful about "maybe" bookings.
Many thanks for the quick reply. Agreed on the FTV.

Am I missing something on the "maybe" booking? I'm thinking, rather optimistically, of rebooking BGI sometime in late April, and it looks like the current sale goes for another couple of weeks. Between refunds for cancellations, and FTVs for anything else, why shouldn't I chuck BA a few hundred quid that I don't really need at the moment for a holiday that will "maybe" happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.